Home

Shawn Alexander not feeling Madden?

This is a discussion on Shawn Alexander not feeling Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #33
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Shawn Alexander not feeling Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
That's not "blind fanaticism", it's the truth hitting you right in the mouth.

Honestly, at what point did vidoegames stop being fun? I logged many hours on Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Stars and had a freakin blast, while neither of those games came anywhere in the same zip code of a sim.

I swear, some people spend hours and hours just looking for flaws (for the record I've learned to hate the word "flaw" with a passion just because of message boards) in the game rather then just enjoying it.

One day many of you will realize that it is just a game and there is really no point in having your butt pucker up over such things.
Depends on what your definition of fun is - yes, it does change per person funnily enough.

Some people's definition of fun is playing a game that represents the real thing in real life as closely as possible because more often than not they can't do it in real life. It isn't about looking for flaws, it's about flaws preventing this experience, and said people pushing such flaws and short commings to be addressed.

BTW, want some more mouth hitting truth? clearly a fair amount of people share this view, and many express it on forums much like this one. If you don't like it, don't visit forums. That's the exact same mentality in use when someone says "Be happy with what you're getting or don't buy the f'in game" - be happy with what's on these forums or don't f'in visit. See how conformed that is?

Last edited by Nza; 07-07-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Depends on what your definition of fun is - yes, it does change per person funnily enough.

Some people's definition of fun is playing a game that represents the real thing in real life as closely as possible because more often than not they can't do it in real life. It isn't about looking for flaws, it's about flaws preventing this experience, and said people pushing such flaws and short commings to be addressed.

BTW, want some more mouth hitting truth? clearly a fair amount of people share this view, and many express it on forums much like this one. If you don't like it, don't visit forums. That's the exact same mentality in use when someone says "Be happy with what you're getting or don't buy the f'in game" - be happy with what's on these forums or don't f'in visit. See how conformed that is?
Funnily enough, we found it plenty fun playing with stick men just 20 years ago. Funnily enough, the more you get spoiled the more you want. Funnily enough, some of you kids just don't realize how good you have it. Funnily enough, if I was disapointed year in and year out by a game I would probably stop buying it rather than moan about it. If I continue to buy said game I have nobody to blame but myself, funnily enough.

Isn't the definition of insanity the act of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result? Why do so may people expect EA to reinvent the wheel when they clearly have something that works?

Face it, the "pure sim ballers" are the minority by a long long stretch. There just aren't enough of you to make EA's world start spinning in a different direction.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #35
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
This is classic. Watch the IGN clip where NFL players was playing Madden. Shawn made a comment about the amount of holding that wasn't being called in the game. It is about time. What EA is going to do take him off the cover.
Shawn Alexander should know something about holding...being that one of his TD's on MNF last year vs. Eagles (that 42-0 massacre) came when one of our DB's were being HELD, allowing him to turn the corner and get into the endzone!

seriously.......i applaud Shawn not being scared to speak his mind, even though he is the coverboy

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 07-07-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #36
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Funnily enough, we found it plenty fun playing with stick men just 20 years ago. Funnily enough, the more you get spoiled the more you want. Funnily enough, some of you kids just don't realize how good you have it. Funnily enough, if I was disapointed year in and year out by a game I would probably stop buying it rather than moan about it. If I continue to buy said game I have nobody to blame but myself, funnily enough.

Isn't the definition of insanity the act of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result? Why do so may people expect EA to reinvent the wheel when they clearly have something that works?

Face it, the "pure sim ballers" are the minority by a long long stretch. There just aren't enough of you to make EA's world start spinning in a different direction.
Funnily enough, humanity found if fine getting around on horse back a century or so ago. Funnily enough, we found if fine not using mobile phones for a long time. I could go on all day, it really is pointless.

It's called progression and evolution. There's nothing wrong with discussing your opinion on how you want something to progress.

I don't understand where buying it becomes relevant. If I don't buy it, i'm probably going to discuss why. Even if something doesn't meet my exact wants it doesn't mean I won't buy it either. Perhaps I want to support something and continue to participate in discussion on how it can improve at the same time. Madden isn't perfect, and you want people to not talk about it because it suits you? As I said, feel free not to visit forums, because I think you'll find this phenomenon to be quite central to their very purpose.

BTW, what's the purpose of trying to talk people down who don't agree with you by introducing age ("you kids")? Does it make you feel superior or something? Wow, you must know what you're talking about, you're older than me! (at least that's what you've presumed). All hail the matured opinion of someone presumably older than myself.

Last edited by Nza; 07-07-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Funnily enough, we found it plenty fun playing with stick men just 20 years ago. Funnily enough, the more you get spoiled the more you want. Funnily enough, some of you kids just don't realize how good you have it.
Funnily enough im getting tired of hearing that S***....

Funnily enough if EA switched back to stick figures you wouldn't be so damn funnily..now would you?

Funnily since we are so "Young" and you are so "Old" how about you funnily go back to playing your lil nintendo ten yard fight and funnily have fun....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #38
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
That's not "blind fanaticism", it's the truth hitting you right in the mouth.

Honestly, at what point did vidoegames stop being fun? I logged many hours on Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Stars and had a freakin blast, while neither of those games came anywhere in the same zip code of a sim.

I swear, some people spend hours and hours just looking for flaws (for the record I've learned to hate the word "flaw" with a passion just because of message boards) in the game rather then just enjoying it.

One day many of you will realize that it is just a game and there is really no point in having your butt pucker up over such things.
No, his view is basically love it or leave it, but either way you don't have a right to question it. Of course don't mean to put words in his mouth. But if you look at the statement, what else could it say? Since when did expecting a football videogame to adhere to BASIC football concepts all of a sudden become expecting it to be a pure sim? Madden is no where near being micro-analyzed at this point. Madden's no where close to be compared to real life, as some games are. It's being compared to games that preceded it - in some cases it's being compared to what was being done in games 2-3yrs ago. People are wondering why EA/Tiburon hasn't been able to at least match what was done by it's current gen game and other current gen football games. Not surpass, equal. And unfortunately in many areas, the game has yet to even TRY to implement features/concepts that have been established years previous; in some areas things are actually worse.

Your comparison of how much fun you had with Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Stars is ridiculous. I had hours and hours of fun with Intellivision football. But now expectations are different. Perhaps you're the one odd guy that prefers playing the Tecmo Bowl of old rather than playing the Madden of even a few years ago, or prefer playing Baseball Stars than playing a game like MVP. But for most of us, expectations have changed.

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 07-07-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #39
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Arrrggghhhhh!!!!!!! Funnily is not a word!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #40

OVR: 34

Has anyone ever played online and your opponent is highly competitive, and respectful; knows the game and has an approach to playing you? Have you ever played any sports game online and experienced this?

I'm somewhat tired of the "it's a game, deal with it." I've learned to slow down on these boards, and not take things so seriously, but I'll tell you what, I'm very serious about what Madden 07 will be like. These guys are a multi-million dollar business who at the same time found it neccessary to raise their next-gen prices by $10.00. You bet I'm expecting more, not less. You bet I want to have an intense game that gives me every bit of my money's worth.

So, if Shaun Alexander is saying the game was lacking in the past (which I doubt), big deal. Maybe it'll put some fire under the pants of these developers, but I doubt it. This is a corporate giant we're talking about. If the game is selling, nothing will be changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »