Home

New Madden Movies

This is a discussion on New Madden Movies within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #65
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: New Madden Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhanTuhC
This is exactly want EA wants you to see.. Forget about the gameplay you can change the length of your arm sleeves!!!!
Well, no... it's what I wanted to see. I've already made numerous comments about gameplay, etc. (read many of my 1500+ posts and you'd know that), this was just one of the small details they added that I liked.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. You complain about little things not being in the game (hand towels anyone?), but then when EA does add something, and one of us points it out, we're "scolded" for liking what they've done.

I'll be one of the first to say the gameplay is not perfect, but that doesn't mean I can't be impressed with something once in a while. Believe it or not, some people on this thread aren't either "EA Haters" or "EA Fanboys". Some of us just provide unbiased opinions on the things we like/dislike.

Apparently that's a hard concept to comprehend...

PS: I love the new differing sleeve lengths, and I still think the vids look great ::gasp::

Last edited by DickDalewood; 07-11-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #66
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BejitaSan
My arguments have been consistent. Nice try though.

Improved graphics = polished Xbox graphics. I've been consistent in my belief that the graphics aren't what they should be.

I wonder. Do you also complain when people only praise the game?
Yes when they blindly praise a game and refuse to acknowledge any faults...kind of the opposite of what you do.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Yes when they blindly praise a game and refuse to acknowledge any faults...kind of the opposite of what you do.
Except that I've praised the superstar mode and that's one feature I'm looking forward to. Whoops, another hole in your argument.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #68
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BejitaSan
Well I guess what I'm proposing is to have the players look a lot more realistic than they do now. For instance, I'd like to see far more realistic tackling animations. The touch tackling thing should have been removed 4 years ago.
Yeah, that would be great. If EA insist on not developing real physics in their engine, they should at the very least offer tackle animations unique to positions/player sizes. This is very basic - just restrict certain player types (calculated via a nifty formula involving weight, strength etc) to certain animations. And while they're at it, remove EVERY tackle animation carried from the old gen (just to be safe) and replace them with boring, every day drag down animations like we see 95% of downs in the NFL.

In 06, we did in fact see unique animations for LB's and DL's, and i'm seeing some new scrappy DB tackles in the 07 videos I like. They just need to really emphasise player size in their animation selection rather than making it random. Hell, building an animation library so deep and thorough could even allow them to have a few animations for almost every likely scenario (like, big HB against small DB who's not moving forward, big HB against small DB who's running forward etc) - kinda how VC did with 2K. Seeing as they've been building their animation library since Madden went 3D, it is amazing we're not at this stage yet.

I'd warrant a bet that a very complex pre determined animation catalogue covering many, many scenarios would rival a real time physics engine to the point it is at least respectible relative to the industry standard in gaming animations. The problem with Madden is, EA clearly took the "choose a random animation rather than one that might actuall make sense" approach, which is obviously easier to implement.

Last edited by Nza; 07-11-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Yeah, that would be great. If EA insist on not developing real physics in their engine, they should at the very least offer tackle animations unique to positions/player sizes. This is very basic - just restrict certain player types (calculated via a nifty formula involving weight, strength etc) to certain animations. And while they're at it, remove EVERY tackle animation carried from the old gen (just to be safe) and replace them with boring, every day drag down animations like we see 95% of downs in the NFL.

In 06, we did in fact see unique animations for LB's and DL's, and i'm seeing some new scrappy DB tackles in the 07 videos I like. They just need to really emphasise player size in their animation selection rather than making it random. Hell, building an animation library so deep and thorough could even allow them to have a few animations for almost every likely scenario (like, big HB against small DB who's not moving forward, big HB against small DB who's running forward etc) - kinda how VC did with 2K. Seeing as they've been building their animation library since Madden went 3D, it is amazing we're not at this stage yet.
That's what is really fueling my anger. It seems like they obviously imported many animations from the current gen games. I think with the switch to 360, it was time to restart the flame and unload a barrage of new tackling animations, much like the first PS2 Madden. Of course, this is only based on limited video I've seen. But cmon, those tackling animations look horribly familiar.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #70
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

These videos weren't all that impressive. Stop praising EA for doing something that should have been done the first game.

As many have pointed out, there is so much missing from this game, that they are so behind on.

The no ref thing is just crazy, no reason for that.
The damn radio announcer is f..king annoying. Someone said that they just turn it off. Well last time I check NFL presentation is what made the sport stand out.
People don't sit at home with the t.v's on mute on Sunday and watch the game.
We listen to the commentators speak of great plays, turnovers and history of the sport. During the gameplay.
Graphics wise, no need to praise them for that...You expect them to do something with them anyway. And as many put it, it does look more like a 2k football game, more than it does Madden. Maybe because they are trying to appeal to that market as well.

The running animations are improved thank goodness for that. The stadiums look exactly the same. They need to improve crowd animations, I mean those blank faced polygon models look like crap, on cut scenes...

This game might be fun after a while, but with the dry non-existing presentation. It lacks the entertaining department. Someone said maybe in 2010 we'll get a booth of people.
Does it really take that long to implement commentators, sideline chain refs and so on...some better televised like replays etc etc...
I mean with the NFL license and the ESPN license. They can do better waaaaaaaaaay better.

This game isn't worth another $59.99 thats for sure. Because again, its incomplete. Still missing so much of what matters when it comes to feeling like and looking like a football game...

Again videos are not impressive, they are nice, but not impressive..step up EA...put that Presentation Stick IN THE GAME.....
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #71
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Also, while it's not strictly on the current topic, I'd like to add that, for anyone who thinks "they can only do so much every year", remember that staff strength is a variable. Every time I read an EA rep saying "we couldn't add that this year", I wonder just how much EA pour into resourcing the development team relative to Madden's profit. I wonder if the development team is really growing relative to the growth of the series. I also wonder just how much better Madden would be if EA directed that NFL license fee fund towards the development team directly, and not towards buying out the competition. After all, Madden could have just as easily dominated the NFL gaming industry with a few extra $100 MILLION that 2KSports couldn't dream of matching, but that way actually requires a risk and reward, not the path EA took, which was simple pay and reward. But that's really a whole other topic involving the NFL's cash flow desires as well.

It seems to me, EA could stand to resource the Madden team far more than they are, but the reality is, Madden is already selling so many copies that increasing production and hence the quality of the game probably wouldn't translate into sales.

Last edited by Nza; 07-11-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #72
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza

I'd warrant a bet that a very complex pre determined animation catalogue covering many, many scenarios would rival a real time physics engine to the point it is at least respectible relative to the industry standard in gaming animations. The problem with Madden is, EA clearly took the "choose a random animation rather than one that might actuall make sense" approach, which is obviously easier to implement.
I like your idea, especially because it's very feasible.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »