Home

So, the running game is supposed to be the focus this year

This is a discussion on So, the running game is supposed to be the focus this year within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
So, the running game is supposed to be the focus this year

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/702/702550p1.html

"Madden 07 focuses strongly on the running game, said the development team at EA Tiburon, and Alexander, with his record-setting 27 rushing touchdowns in 2006, is the perfect fit."

So, it appears they are focusing on the running game this year. What do you guys think will be added? Will it very innovative? Will it just be a minor detail that the series has lacked all along? Will it turn out to be ridiculously unrealistic?

Right now, I don't know what to think. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: So, the running game is supposed to be the focus this year

Well for starters I will say this. I hope one of the emphasis was the offensive line and blocking schemes, not some "gimmick" run feature that the RB has. The offensive line needs work and lots of it. Giving the RB's more moves and a feature is cool and great, but the offensive line needs help.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I agree with focusing on the line. I have yet to see a good (realistic and sophisticated) blocking mechanism from any game. They will try to block the first availalbe player, not necessarily the player they are assigned to block. That just sucks when the fb blocks the wrong guy and the hole closes in front of you! I would like to see some real detail (importance) added to the guards pulling/trapping plays.

I don't see why they can't add the detail and realism that we all desire. There are quite a few games out there have intense detail to entire worlds, not just limited to a football stadium. With that being the case, they need to re-design this game and finally come up with a masterpiece. I hope it happens this year!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13

Watch it be something like vision running lane.You are running and have to swith your vision cone to find the best hole or lane to run through.lol
Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13
Watch it be something like vision running lane.You are running and have to swith your vision cone to find the best hole or lane to run through.lol
lol...I hope not but I wouldn't put it past EA.

I think this move will actually make EA "FOCUS" on fixing the O-line/D-line interaction. If they still have suction blocking then there is no point in the whole "We will focus on the run game".

Maybe we will get a 2 for 1 deal where EA focus on both running game and O-line/D-line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Well for starters I will say this. I hope one of the emphasis was the offensive line and blocking schemes, not some "gimmick" run feature that the RB has. The offensive line needs work and lots of it. Giving the RB's more moves and a feature is cool and great, but the offensive line needs help.
Oh man, hopefully. But really, if they are using the same old engine, can they fix the offensive line enough?

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxxx
I agree with focusing on the line. I have yet to see a good (realistic and sophisticated) blocking mechanism from any game. They will try to block the first availalbe player, not necessarily the player they are assigned to block. That just sucks when the fb blocks the wrong guy and the hole closes in front of you! I would like to see some real detail (importance) added to the guards pulling/trapping plays.

I don't see why they can't add the detail and realism that we all desire. There are quite a few games out there have intense detail to entire worlds, not just limited to a football stadium. With that being the case, they need to re-design this game and finally come up with a masterpiece. I hope it happens this year!
I agree that for the most part, no video game has come up with a great blocking engine. I must say though, I have had some awesome moments in Madden where the blocking was a thing of beauty. The other night in a game against the Ravens, I ran a Trap out of the weak I and the blocking was beautiful. Perfectly executed. I would say 90% of the replays I have saved are running plays where the blocking was dead on. It's so awesome to watch.

The suction blocking has got to go though. It's better than it was, but needs to be gone entirely.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
I agree that for the most part, no video game has come up with a great blocking engine. I must say though, I have had some awesome moments in Madden where the blocking was a thing of beauty. The other night in a game against the Ravens, I ran a Trap out of the weak I and the blocking was beautiful. Perfectly executed. I would say 90% of the replays I have saved are running plays where the blocking was dead on. It's so awesome to watch.

The suction blocking has got to go though. It's better than it was, but needs to be gone entirely.
Yeah man, some plays look amazing...

...then the next play the guard pulls and runs right by a vicious linebacker, leaving your halfback out to dry.

I just want consistency. Of course there will be times when the blocking breaks down because the other team just ran the right defense for the situation, but right now the blocking is really just meh.

Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »