Home

No Defensive Playmaker for MADDEN 2007 360 version..AGAIN!

This is a discussion on No Defensive Playmaker for MADDEN 2007 360 version..AGAIN! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #41
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: No Defensive Playmaker for MADDEN 2007 360 version..AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskinz
A couple of other things that disturbed me from Pasta PAdres impressions. D Rhodes is the best RB in the game according to them. They said he was unstoppable. And no one seems to ask EA why the hell they put the long ball sound in. I don't understand. They said they went out to eat with the developer and all this other BS but they can't just be nice about it and ask what you were thinking with putting that sound affect in.
The Dominic Rhodes thing is a bit of a joke.
We played a tournament, and in the second round, AndyP of Madden Planet ran over me with Rhodes on a play where he broke at least six tackles all the way down the field. It was so out of the ordinary that it generated a little bit of "buzz".

He is not speaking about ratings, and I can tell you that Shaun Alexander, for one, is way more dangerous than Rhodes - it's just that Rhodes had a freak, one-in-a-million play in the tourney that captured our attention.

We did ask about the "shotgun" sound. They really sort of dodged it a bit, but I don't think any of the gamers there liked it; it's really sort of baffling.
That said, it's also getting blown out of proportion. It's just a sound - yeah, it's goofy, but if that's what people are focusing on, I'd argue that the view is a little myopic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #42
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
This is one thing I really thought that would be in the game. Not a big loss for me,as I rarely used it. (I had a hard time setting my d plamaker stuff before the ball was snapped), but I see this as a pretty big omission.
It may be just me, but I didn't really miss it, and I didn't really hear anybody grouse about it much.

The game plays pretty well as it stands, honestly.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #43
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestKJ
I'm going to use NCAA 07 as an example here. There's no trick plays, they don't have the "press Y for behind player view," there's no ESPN Magazine, Dynasty is pretty basic, collision detection is awful. But you know what, the gameplay is just DAMN good. With the right tweaks on Heisman, I feel like I'm being challenged every single play of the game. And to me that's what's invaluable as a gamer.

For me, all those kinds of add-ons are just fluff and pretty innovations. Sure it would be nice to have them, but it's not needed.

My breakdown in interest for any game is:
20% Graphics
10% Addons and Features
70% Gameplay

NCAA 07 makes up for the 10% it lacks, because 90% of the game I enjoy. And if Madden 07 will present a challenge to me, it's done its job. That would more than make up for the fact that they don't have "this feature" or "that feature" you can find on other consoles. I can wait for Madden 08 for Def. Playmaker and if it doesn't translate over to the gameplay then guess what, I can wait till Madden 09 for it to be done right. I'd rather they build up a core starting with solid gameplay and then add this and that later. "I want the meat and potatoes made close to perfection, you can give me the dessert later."

I'm not trying to knock your opinion down, because it is a good point. I'm merely trying to defend those who want their "meat and potatoes" done they way they want it.
I hear you - I'm a meat-and-potatoes guy myself.
We'd all love the "perfect" game (as if anything could ever be so to everyone), but that's not realistic.

So, taken what is realistic given time, budget and manpower, I'd rather see the focus in between the lines and on the field. Get that right, and then rest falls into place over time.
Do it any other way, and it's gimmickry.

I think it's the right approach, even if it tests our patience to some extent.
There's a robust, full-featured current-gen game coming out, and you can buy that instead... or buy nothing at all, and make a statement that way.
The bottom line is that you're still in charge.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #44
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

[quote=sdrotar]I hear you - I'm a meat-and-potatoes guy myself.
We'd all love the "perfect" game (as if anything could ever be so to everyone), but that's not realistic.

So, taken what is realistic given time, budget and manpower, I'd rather see the focus in between the lines and on the field. Get that right, and then rest falls into place over time.

[quote]

Not trying to beat a dead horse but isn't being able to adjust individual assignments on defense before the snap "between the lines on the field"? The mini games are the fluff here. I am more than likely going to buy the game either way but for years I have been assigning blitzes and coverage pre-snap on NCAAs, Maddens and yes (scared to even mention it) NFL2k5. At this point in football gaming this has become a feature that is a necessity for most of us from a strategy viewpoint. Leaving it out is like leaving out the spin move or the juke. Once you get used to having it, anything else feels like they are crippling you.

Peace all!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #45
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

[quote=icicle22][quote=sdrotar]I hear you - I'm a meat-and-potatoes guy myself.

Quote:

Not trying to beat a dead horse but isn't being able to adjust individual assignments on defense before the snap "between the lines on the field"? The mini games are the fluff here. I am more than likely going to buy the game either way but for years I have been assigning blitzes and coverage pre-snap on NCAAs, Maddens and yes (scared to even mention it) NFL2k5. At this point in football gaming this has become a feature that is a necessity for most of us from a strategy viewpoint. Leaving it out is like leaving out the spin move or the juke. Once you get used to having it, anything else feels like they are crippling you.

Peace all!
I hear what you're saying, and I understand your frustration.
But let me offer this: Ask any NFL coach what's more important; the playcalling or changing everyone's assignments on the fly, and I guarantee you each and every one will say the former. The latter tends to cause chaos, and players - even captains - that shuffle too many players around, rendering the coach's call irrelevant, don't last too long in the NFL.

In real football, you might see one or two guys shift - a bit.
In video game football, it's often used as a crutch to cover for uninspired playcalling as gamers shift more than half the players all over the place. You simply don't see that kind of pre-snap activity in real football with any regularity.

What they're trying to do is bring coaching/football knowledge to the fore and bring the chess game back. Playcalling is king at the heart of the game engine.

For what it's worth, I think that's what it should be - because that's football - and I'd rather have that right first and foremost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #46
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
It may be just me, but I didn't really miss it, and I didn't really hear anybody grouse about it much.

The game plays pretty well as it stands, honestly.
Yeah. I liked it to make normal pre-snap adjustments based on offensive formation, and my coverage call. But as I said, really didn't use it much.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #47
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
The biggest problem about getting off the playmaker controls on the 360 would be the way that they do their huddle transitions. It was a pain just be able to see the formation and get the defense shifted properly.

However, I need those playmaker options on defense. One of the reasons I play the game is for the fun I get from essentially creating new plays and schemes through use of playmaking controls. I really like making new zones, zone blitzes, zone/man hybrids, or manning up someone inside of a zone. Without that I feel extremely limited.
How do you get that done before the ball is snapped? I mean, after I see the offensive formtaion, and figure out what adjustments I am going to make, I can only adjust 1 or 2 guys max before the ball is snapped.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 12

[quote=sdrotar][quote=icicle22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
I hear you - I'm a meat-and-potatoes guy myself.

I hear what you're saying, and I understand your frustration.
But let me offer this: Ask any NFL coach what's more important; the playcalling or changing everyone's assignments on the fly, and I guarantee you each and every one will say the former. The latter tends to cause chaos, and players - even captains - that shuffle too many players around, rendering the coach's call irrelevant, don't last too long in the NFL.

In real football, you might see one or two guys shift - a bit.
In video game football, it's often used as a crutch to cover for uninspired playcalling as gamers shift more than half the players all over the place. You simply don't see that kind of pre-snap activity in real football with any regularity.

What they're trying to do is bring coaching/football knowledge to the fore and bring the chess game back. Playcalling is king at the heart of the game engine.

For what it's worth, I think that's what it should be - because that's football - and I'd rather have that right first and foremost.

I disagree being a good defense depends on your play calling but it also really depends on your adjustments to what you see at the line once you see the offense set up.

Have you ever wondered why the patriots defense was so good a adjusting to Peyton Manning's at the line audibles? Or why the steelers defense was so good. They had excellent play calling but also had excellent defensive team leaders that would come to the line and adjust to what they saw yelling out directions to their teamates.

Playcalling and the chest game as you describe is more then just the initial play called in the huddle it's the way your defense can recognize and adjust to what the offensive does as they lineup.

Two defenses of the same talent could be totally opposite on how well they actually perform on the field if they don't have a good team captain or the ability to adjust to what they see on the fly.

If the offense has the ability to change player assignments and receiver routes it's only logical and fair that the defense has the same ability to match what the offense is trying to do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »