Home

Madden 2007 (X360) Pre-Release Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden 2007 (X360) Pre-Release Impressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Madden 2007 (X360) Pre-Release Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
While a lot of us here at OS would like to see improved presentation (I'll include myself in that, although I am still able to enjoy Madden in Coach Mode as it is), I believe we are in the minority. As an example, my wife and I were recently visiting with some of her family and there some teenage guys ranging from 14-18 there with a PS2. I was looking through their library of games and saw NFL 2K5, Madden 06, and NCAA 06.

Just curious, I asked them what they thought of 2K5. They said it was okay, but not nearly as good as Madden or NCAA. They said it was because when you play 2K5 "they try and make it like TV and show you all these stats and replays, and you end up just hitting buttons to try and call your play." They are just interested in calling their plays, running them, and picking another (and there is nothing wrong with that, if that is how they enjoy the game).

My point is, I believe EA knows the demographics of Madden/NCAA customers and it wouldn't surprise me if these fellas' are the majority. It wouldn't be a smart business decision by EA to change for the minority. Would I like to see more presentation? Yes. Do I think it will happen? No. If anything, I wish they would make it all optional, so they can turn it off if they don't like it and I can leave it on if like it.

Im all for that if those guys care strictly about gameplay. But EA would need to consider, what kind of gameplay do those kids like? Bottonline, will they ever expand and innovate? sometimes you have to force things on people and let them enjoy it for what it is.. They may be afraid to go too sim or add another element of the game with gang tackles. theres a thin line of giving them exactly what they "want" all the time.

ps, werent the matrix style replays in madden 01 on ps2? When i play with cousins or friends, i like to look at replays of a big hit or a great INT read. NCAA is great with the dual trigger for instant replay. again it looks like thats the minority

Last edited by RubenDouglas; 07-31-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38
To me, I enjoy the TV Broadcast Presentation because that is what I am familiar with. I associate football with watching it on TV. I make it out to the stadium for about three or four games a year, but 95% of my NFL football watching is done from my couch. When I play a game like ESPN 2K5, the presentation in that game triggers some part of my brain that associates the game with NFL football. It makes it seem more immersive - to me - than any "on the field" stuff you can throw at me (players talking, non-tv style camera pans/angles).
I'm a Seahawks season ticket holder and never miss a home game so I associate football primarily with the stadium experience which is much more intense than watching on TV. I listen to broadcasters in Madden for maybe a game or two and then permanently mute them and I'd do this no matter how well the commentary is done. To me, it detracts from the immersiveness of the game and makes me feel like I'm sitting on my butt at home watching a game on TV. Since I really am sitting on my butt at home playing the game on TV I don't really need something to reinforce this and would rather have the illusion of being there and being involved in the game.

The strategy and gameplay of NFL football should be the nuts and bolts of Madden and if that's not right then it doesn't matter to me how much extra flash they put into the game. EA has a ways to go to really deliver on gameplay and until they do I wish they'd put that other stuff aside.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #35
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah I definetly have no problem with the lack of known announcers, but rather that he is alone. if they wanted a radio broadcast feel then they should have 2 guys talking to make it feel more authentic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I mirror your concerns as well as the others that have posted in the thread about the pros and cons they've seen from the videos so far. I don't get why the lack of saving a replay hasn't gotten more attention, as well as other simple things like the lack of the ability to have cpu vs. cpu play. I knew we'd be getting the customary "that's not important to me" response, but didn't know it'd be on this level. Anyways, to add on to the pros/cons already voiced:

PROS:
- The increased number of animations and responsiveness to the controls w/the OL/DL interaction. It seems now on defense a button press will actually attempt to do something, which has been lacking in the past. And although all the contact is 1-on-1, the OL is at least giving the impression that they're using their hands.
- I really like the Impact stick, after trashing it before. There seem to be lots of animations tied to the Impact stick moves; have seen a lot of variation in NCAA. If they use the same control scheme in Madden as NCAA, it should make for great control while properly rewarding players w/good stick control skills.

CONS:
- Player interaction is these games number one problem. It affects every aspect of the gameplay, from the Mario running to the bump and run, lack of gang tackling, to the LB play - dragging overall gameplay down. It has to be addressed; they shouldn't keep being given a free pass on this as a "maybe next year" issue. It's both funny and sad seeing players look like they got shot when tackled because Madden/NCAA does such a poor job w/player interaction, as well as the suction blocking that STILL exists.
- Defense I think is going to be a huge problem. DB AI in particular seems like it's going to be an issue. I see it in NCAA a lot, where players DBs don't seem to have a need for looking back for passes. Lots of times they're in position but just don't react. And that's been seen in lots of the videos shown for Madden. I used to love how DBs in 2K5 would use their hands to redirect receivers, and when running with them on deep passes would sometimes stick their arms out to "feel" for the receiver while looking back for the ball. In Madden, because of the lack of player interaction it's still mostly stand in someone's way/hope you don't get called for PI. I think this will also greatly diminish the enjoyment of playing as a DB in SS mode.
- The game seems to be completely lacking on the nuances of football. Again, this is something 2K5 had an abundance of that Tiburon hasn't touched on. I like that they have certain things that make certain individuals stand out like the unique running styles, or the Dante Culpepper "get your roll on" celebration. And they did a fantastic job recreating the stadiums; in one recent vid they have a celebration after a Ravens sack and seeing the detail is amazing. But outside of that, there's nothing. They have these great looking stadiums, but don't seem to know how to use them. Sidelines really are piss poor. Don't know how you can have so much attention paid to the coaches, but the players on the sidelines look like nothing more than potbellied fans with helmets and shoulder pads on, doing synchronized celebrations that aren't even varied. Literally. Camera people don't seem to move or adjust their positions. Again, there shouldn't be the disparity between what was done in current gen vs. next gen, but it's really wide - not even close. Tiburon could've also added additional stances which would enhance the fun of playing on defense. Everyone has the same "ready" stance that doesn't look cool. LBs sometimes get in the "ready to blitz" stance, but there should be a lot more variation.
- TOO MUCH SKATING. Imo they need to totally redo the way the players move; lateral movement looks ridiculous and even when players do something as simple as walk post play, they noticeably skate over the turf.

Still looking forward to the game; hopefully the areas the game lacking in won't make playing it boring after a month. When you see things like the recent hype video Gametrailers released, it's easy to get excited. But then when you watch actual gameplay like the Redskins/Cowboys released by IGN, the game looks boring because of the areas the game's lacking in. I guess we'll see.

As always Spankdatazz22, you hit it right on the nail! No one could have said it or explained it better than you have. As much as some don't want to hear it, thats the reality of it.. I really wish EA read some of this stuff and take it to consideration, but we know that will never happen.. We just have to accept it, EA and their Madden game aside from the graphics, is far far from being a Next Gen Football game..

Last edited by NYGmen56; 08-02-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #37
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT
Yeah I definetly have no problem with the lack of known announcers, but rather that he is alone. if they wanted a radio broadcast feel then they should have 2 guys talking to make it feel more authentic.
IMO you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't have a problem with RA's but add a person for the replays and the color. On the videos there is alot of dead time. Yes there is tons of on the field chatter and that's great. I think they should utilize the RA color man for replays and insight after touchdowns, big hits, big play, and for in current game stats ( Like Portis just past 100 yard mark) I really believe that if they added something like this then alot of the presentation factors I.E. cutscenes wouldn't be a huge deal for most games.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #38
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
As always Spankdatazz22, you hit it right on the nail! No one could have said it or explained it better than you have. As much as some don't want to hear it, thats the reality of it.. I really wish EA read some of this stuff and take it to consideration, but we know that will never happen.. We just have to accept it, EA and their Madden game aside from the graphics, is far far from being a Next Gen Football game..

You are right as well. This game Looks great graphically. But I consider next gen to be on the little things. Annimations, gang tackles, player reactions, the little things of the nfl along with decent graphics. Truth be told If I had to choos between gameplay and graphics I would choose gameplay anyday as long as its a full blown gameplay job. I think Ea went overboard on the crowd annimations jumping the whole game, The cameras panning around the stadium, cameras panning behind the endzone really not focusing on anything (Redskins Cowboys 2nd half video), and stadiums in general. My general opinion the cameras should stay on the field level this way they don't have to have a full 3d crowd around the nosebleeds of the stadium. You wouldn't see them anyways.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #39
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Tim, the points you made in your last two posts are excellent.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #40
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
You are right as well. This game Looks great graphically. But I consider next gen to be on the little things. Annimations, gang tackles, player reactions, the little things of the nfl along with decent graphics. Truth be told If I had to choos between gameplay and graphics I would choose gameplay anyday as long as its a full blown gameplay job. I think Ea went overboard on the crowd annimations jumping the whole game, The cameras panning around the stadium, cameras panning behind the endzone really not focusing on anything (Redskins Cowboys 2nd half video), and stadiums in general. My general opinion the cameras should stay on the field level this way they don't have to have a full 3d crowd around the nosebleeds of the stadium. You wouldn't see them anyways.
Co-sign

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »