Home

Taken from a write up @Mw

This is a discussion on Taken from a write up @Mw within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:02 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Taken from a write up @Mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
This last sentence is the main culprit. The masses don't really care whether gang tackling is there or not. They actually prefer to have big hits, and unrealistic canned broken tackle animations. It's why we have the hit stick, it's why we have a turbo button. Why the two things can't be incorporated into the engine without having to press a seperate button for them is beyond me.

NHL 07 is doing away with the turbo button, and I hope that ALL sports games follow suit. There's no such thing as a turbo button in the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB. You hear the phrase "he took it up to another gear" way too much in sports. The reality is that some guys accelerate faster than others, hitting top running/skating speed sooner. This should all be controlled in-game by ratings, and you hear about all these new ratings that are gonna help differentiate all the players from one another. Well the turbo button is something that should become extinct and instead replace by a more in depth acceleration rating.

The big hit button is another ******** invention made for and by the masses. This too should be controlled by the game, not us. If we line up a player perfectly, we should see a huge hit. Not by flicking the stick, but by taking a solid angle at the player. But the average Madden player wants to control that aspect himself so that he can yell at the tv "Whooooooaaaa, that s*** was hot/sick/dirty/etc".

My wishes are simple:

1. Do away with the turbo button
2. Fix the defensive A.I.
3. Incorporate a physics engine that will improve all aspects of player interaction, from gang-tackling, OL/DL play, to just incidental contact when players collide.

You would then have the best football game ever. Not perfect, nothing ever is, but you'd replace 2k5 as the best representation of the game, and help guys like myself move on from a game that is soon to be three years old. There's a reason why 2k5 is looked upon so fondly. It's not because it was flawless. It was great, but not without hiccups. It's because Madden has been so underwhelming since 2k5 that we can't forget it.
The turbo button is there, because even though a player is faster or stronger, we the gamer want to feel like we are in control of that.

No player is ever going to play to their ratings ability, because the user's ability to utilize the players attributes will determine their success.

I think its balanced. remember defense has turbo too. i think its just a tactic that we have available in deciding what would be the best time to utilize it.

its like when emmitt or some one else goes through the hole, as soon as they see daylight, they hit that xtra gear.

its the same with screen passes. You wait for your blockers, and then take off.

if we played to our speed without turbo, some would hit the hole way to fast. Not allowing the blocks to develop.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #34
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero97
The turbo button is there, because even though a player is faster or stronger, we the gamer want to feel like we are in control of that.

No player is ever going to play to their ratings ability, because the user's ability to utilize the players attributes will determine their success.

I think its balanced. remember defense has turbo too. i think its just a tactic that we have available in deciding what would be the best time to utilize it.

its like when emmitt or some one else goes through the hole, as soon as they see daylight, they hit that xtra gear.

its the same with screen passes. You wait for your blockers, and then take off.

if we played to our speed without turbo, some would hit the hole way to fast. Not allowing the blocks to develop.
We're not using the d-pad anymore, we're using the analog stick. We CAN control how fast we move on the field. Otherwise, we may as well do away with the sticks altogether, as they're still being used with digital pad functionality in mind.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
1. Do away with the turbo button
I think that they should use the right trigger as a pressure sensitive speed button. The ratings would determine acceleration and top speed. This way, you keep it realistic (players aren't always running at full speed) and you leave the gamer in control. They would need a good physics engine to make this work properly. Example: if you are running full speed and try to make a hard cut, the player stumbles, falls, etc. depending on the degree of the attempted cut. A defender running at full speed will have the same affects. I also think that rating should be overall and not by position. Also make them real ratings instead on 1 to 100. Example: speed should be broken down into times in the 10, 40 and 100 yard dash.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

I always said that the realistic sport simulations....NHL, NFL,etc should do away with hit sticks and turbos..thats for the arcade games...hits, speed, cuts, stickhandling, shots, passes, accuracy should all be determined by RATINGS. The player controls the type of move or when to hit top speed and direction, etc but the RATINGS of each player determine speed, collision, accuracy, etc.
For hockey Wayne Gretzky hockey for PC years ago had best sim in my books...the speed, fatigue levels, abilities all determined by ratings..then u noticed the differences between the Lemieux, Gretzkys and the other players.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #37
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
I think that they should use the right trigger as a pressure sensitive speed button. The ratings would determine acceleration and top speed. This way, you keep it realistic (players aren't always running at full speed) and you leave the gamer in control. They would need a good physics engine to make this work properly. Example: if you are running full speed and try to make a hard cut, the player stumbles, falls, etc. depending on the degree of the attempted cut. A defender running at full speed will have the same affects. I also think that rating should be overall and not by position. Also make them real ratings instead on 1 to 100. Example: speed should be broken down into times in the 10, 40 and 100 yard dash.
The only thing I disagree with is the stumbling and falling. Some players, like Offensive Linemen should stumble a bit, maybe fall on occasion. But skill position players shouldn't fall. Instead, it should take them a few yards to stop and change direction. I could foresee a situation with far too many players lying down on the field, where really, it would just take those players a few steps to slow down and change direction.

Other than that, I still prefer no "speed/turbo" button at all. But if they insist on having one, then your idea is 10x better than what we have now.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
The only thing I disagree with is the stumbling and falling. Some players, like Offensive Linemen should stumble a bit, maybe fall on occasion. But skill position players shouldn't fall. Instead, it should take them a few yards to stop and change direction. I could foresee a situation with far too many players lying down on the field, where really, it would just take those players a few steps to slow down and change direction.

Other than that, I still prefer no "speed/turbo" button at all. But if they insist on having one, then your idea is 10x better than what we have now.
On the highest difficulty level, I think that any player should stumble, fall, break an ankle, or whatever because if you go outside and run full speed, then try to make a sharp angle cut, you will stumble, fall, etc. The gamer would have to know how to use the speed (be patient). The reason you don't see a lot of players on the ground in real life, is because they know when to slow down and when to speed up. This is just giving the gamer control of that aspect. The CPU controled players should do fine.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #39
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
On the highest difficulty level, I think that any player should stumble, fall, break an ankle, or whatever because if you go outside and run full speed, then try to make a sharp angle cut, you will stumble, fall, etc. The gamer would have to know how to use the speed (be patient). The reason you don't see a lot of players on the ground in real life, is because they know when to slow down and when to speed up. This is just giving the gamer control of that aspect. The CPU controled players should do fine.
Oh I hear what you're saying. My point is in the heat of the moment, you're going to slam the trigger button down all the way, instead of trying to find the perfect speed, because you have a split second to make that decision. It's more of a twitch reaction. On a real field, you still only have a split second to make a decision, but you know the limits of your body, and wouldn't even try to make a cut running full speed.

I do like the idea of having this on the highest difficulty level though. Sorta like the Vision Cone being on for the All-Madden difficulty this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »