Home

Madden for 360....

This is a discussion on Madden for 360.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden for 360....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Thats the thing, from the looks of it, it seems as if next-gen Madden is the same Madden that was on current gen so one would figure that the game was already tweaked to perfection and thus allowing them to focus on other aspects. Even the current gen Madden should at least have some sort of a presentation but it continues to lack.

You guess it right the first time, its not that they dont want to spend time focusing on presentation, they refuse to focus on presentation. Past attempts have shown to be failed attempts because they refuse to develope some sort of broadcast style presentation, opting for the usual canned cut scenes which of course gets skipped by the majority.

Anyway, my entire problem stems from the fact that this is so called "next-gen" football. Things are sopposed to be bigger and better. More depth, more voice overs, more complexity, more everything. Instead we recieve the usual, half complete, 5 year cycle Madden which is growing tiresome because from the looks of it, it wont be complete till about year 5.

Look at what 2K has done with their basketball game, they've simply ported over the current gen version and now their focus is on everything sorrounding the gameplay. I'm actually wondering what can possibly be done for next years version because they're so far ahead. If the game sucks, then it'll be because of the standard 2K bugs but besides that, the game will have a completed feel to it. If Madden went this route, we would'nt be having these conversations today. But all this "built from the ground up" hype set them back to medieval times. They're basically back to sqaure one.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
Madden 2007 is not perfect (far from it really), but it is so much better than 2006 that it is a joke to compare the two with a straight face. In my experience, this is the single best one-year improvement since the days of Madden 1992 on the Sega Genesis (which beat the ever loving crap out of the original John Madden Football on the Genesis).
Good recollection. It did beat the crap out of "Madden", as there was actually a little bit of defense.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Thats the thing, from the looks of it, it seems as if next-gen Madden is the same Madden that was on current gen so one would figure that the game was already tweaked to perfection and thus allowing them to focus on other aspects. Even the current gen Madden should at least have some sort of a presentation but it continues to lack.

Anyway, my entire problem stems from the fact that this is so called "next-gen" football. Things are sopposed to be bigger and better. More depth, more voice overs, more complexity, more everything. Instead we recieve the usual, half complete, 5 year cycle Madden which is growing tiresome because from the looks of it, it wont be complete till about year 5.

Look at what 2K has done with their basketball game, they've simply ported over the current gen version and now their focus is on everything sorrounding the gameplay. I'm actually wondering what can possibly be done for next years version because they're so far ahead. If the game sucks, then it'll be because of the standard 2K bugs but besides that, the game will have a completed feel to it. If Madden went this route, we would'nt be having these conversations today. But all this "built from the ground up" hype set them back to medieval times. They're basically back to sqaure one.
People scream "next gen, next gen" but ignore the things that Madden has made next gen. One thing I always hated about current gen Madden was that the Stadiums looked horrible and were always wrong. They fixed that with next gen. I hated the player models. They fixed that with next gen. Next gen has more and varied animations.

Now I like 2K's basketball game but lets not make it like its the holy grail. This is another case where we give 2K a pass where we would kill EA. 2K6 didnt have authentic arenas and I promise you if EA didnt have authentic stadiums in Live or Madden this forum would be shouting bloody murder. The same goes for the other bugs found in 2K6.

One other thing i dont get is why people act like there is no presentation. Except for no halftime show and no color commentator, what else is missing. The game has plenty of stat overlays, replays and a play by play announcer. I guess I dont know what you guys expect.

Finally, it comes down to this. Presentation isnt that important to the majority of people who play Madden. If that was a top issue with their focus groups and Madden Bowl players, I promise you that they would have a ton of presentation in the game. But its not. It only matters to the sim players and we are a very small minority. Its about time we start realizing this and except it.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
I disagree. I think this game looks ALOT better then last year. Yes the presentation is lacking but it will get better. I was a hardcore "ANOTHER FOOTBALL GAME" player. Seeing this years madden and the videos are actually getting me excited for madden. It just seems that all the feedback says this game is definately improved. I think they have a good defensive base and this year a good offensive base. Next year they will probably spend time on presentation and Playmaker controls.
Next Year, Next Year, that’s all we hear when it comes to Madden. We keep giving EA Sports the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Madden. I remember last year when Madden for the Xbox 360 came out everyone said wait until EA Sports has a year under their belt. "Next Years game is going to be amazing. Now we are talking about another year 2008 for EA to get it right. I use to be a major Madden fan but I and many others have been disappointed with the direction the game has headed. Sure they added some nice features this year and improved the game play a little but what about the presentation. Many fans have been asking for a better presentation for years now and EA still hasn't responded. I'm just sick of it! EA is just plain LAZY! If they need help just take some of NFL's 2K5 presentation and add it to Madden. There are still new animations and things I see in that game 3 years later. We all want the best NFL experience and now that Madden is the only game in town, EA has to step it or people are going to stop buying the game. The only thing we can hold onto is NEXT YEAR!!

Peace
Old 08-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
People scream "next gen, next gen" but ignore the things that Madden has made next gen. One thing I always hated about current gen Madden was that the Stadiums looked horrible and were always wrong. They fixed that with next gen. I hated the player models. They fixed that with next gen. Next gen has more and varied animations.

Now I like 2K's basketball game but lets not make it like its the holy grail. This is another case where we give 2K a pass where we would kill EA. 2K6 didnt have authentic arenas and I promise you if EA didnt have authentic stadiums in Live or Madden this forum would be shouting bloody murder. The same goes for the other bugs found in 2K6.

One other thing i dont get is why people act like there is no presentation. Except for no halftime show and no color commentator, what else is missing. The game has plenty of stat overlays, replays and a play by play announcer. I guess I dont know what you guys expect.

Finally, it comes down to this. Presentation isnt that important to the majority of people who play Madden. If that was a top issue with their focus groups and Madden Bowl players, I promise you that they would have a ton of presentation in the game. But its not. It only matters to the sim players and we are a very small minority. Its about time we start realizing this and except it.

Good post. THis thread has one good point the presentation is bland. Everything else said is rediculous and not true. Go play 2k5 and have fun with that game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

I think it looks 10x better this year visually.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

aholbert32]People scream "next gen, next gen" but ignore the things that Madden has made next gen. One thing I always hated about current gen Madden was that the Stadiums looked horrible and were always wrong. They fixed that with next gen. I hated the player models. They fixed that with next gen. Next gen has more and varied animations.

But they neglect simple things like refs, chain gangs, gang tackling...at one point, the challenge system was gone. Instead of the yearly roster updates, we're now getting graphical updates.

Look at the forum and see where the major complaints are at. People are complaining and commenting on calve and ankle sizes, floor colors and body proportions. That right there tells you that there is hardly anything to complain about. There were many who complained about authentic arenas but thats taken care of now. The complaints have went away. If EA did'nt have arenas yet, we would be wondering what year would they finnally decide to add them and if they would ever add them.

You said it, thats exactly whats missing. I gaurantee that if those things were in and if they were done right. EA fans would clamor over them.

I'm sure that the focus groups probably consist mainly of Madden Bowl players and participants. The game is being created strictly for them. I've always pointed out that Madden was made for multiplayer. These same ppl could care less about presentation. Which is sad because we're the ones who put the most work into fixing issues that leave the lot. Also, those same Madden Bowl guys probably haven't even seen what a real presentation is like ala 2K5 since they are so busy looking for money plays and exploits.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Comparing the gameplay engines that EA and 2k incorporate into their games is like comparing apples and oranges. 2k's engines are built with flexibilty in mind. Everything in their engines can be tweaked and improved substantially because that's how they wanted it to be.

EA makes their gameplay engines with other things in mind, and flexibilty is not one of them. Their games toil in mediocrity (or worse) unless they totally redo their series (a la Triple Play/MVP), or wait for a new generation of systems to bail them out (NHL). Why is it that when they redo their engines, like Live 2004 did, we were wowed by the game, and since then, it's been pretty much downhill from there? Was Live 2005 an improvement? Sure it was. Very slightly. They added a fluff feature (All-Star Weekend) to take our minds off the miniscule gameplay improvements.

2k's games don't always come together well (NFL 2k5), but there is so much promise shown in what they're trying to accomplish on top of the devs actually taking our wishes into consideration, that the game improves each year, more often than not. Furthermore, their engines don't need to be built from the ground up, because of the flexibilty they had in mind when they built the engine in the first place. You think that when NFL 2K came out on the Dreamcast, they had foreseen gang-tackling to be a wish of their customers down the road? Probably not. But they didn't need to worry about it, because their engine could withstand such a major shift in gameplay mechanics without rendering the game broken.

It's the same old, same old. EA sells enough units of all their games that they can dictate to us what we want. 2K doesn't and they need to listen to us to allow us to shape the game the way we want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »