Home

Poll:Radio Announcer or play by play commentary?

This is a discussion on Poll:Radio Announcer or play by play commentary? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have? Radio announcer or play by play?
Radio Announcer 23 14.02%
Play by Play commentary 141 85.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Poll:Radio Announcer or play by play commentary?

Tiburon could've made a lot of choices in terms of commentary; a single radio broadcaster for all teams imo is perhaps the worst of all of them. Most people will simply turn him off, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. It's just EA/Tiburon with questionable moves/poor planning for next gen. In game replays also don't look to have been done very well, just like NCAA. While the play-calling screen looks cool, imo I think it's impractical in how it's been implemented. Given the volume of animations in the game, there are many things they could be doing to enhance the overall experience by showing it off - not showing off near static images of players rocking back and forth, eyes moving back and forth; or constant "look how we nailed the stadiums" shots. As DJ pointed out a while back, they don't even seem to have team-specific cheering sections like the Dawg Pound for Cleveland in the game.

Poor decisions; poor planning for next gen.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #18

OVR: 34

I really believe they used this generic radio guy to fill the void until they completely decide what will happen with in game play by play.

"Hello, Mr. Tiburon?"

"Yes?"

"Umm..you have the license to the largest sports Network in the world at your disposal."

"Yes, we do."

"Ok then. Just do it."
Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #19
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
Play by play. The game on 360 looks nice but no commentary that's worth listening to. I like the 2 man team. 3 people in a booth does not work anymore with football. (example, FOX and ESPN) Thank God those days are over.
They aren't over... Monday Night Football will have a three-man team this year...

Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Shouldn't "none of the above" be an option? There are some of us who would be perfectly happy w/a stadium announcer and improved player/coach banter.
Agreed, i personally like the PA announcer only ( how bout a new PA voice, thats one busy man). As said above a 3 man crew would be better. I played NCAA for the first time this year and even that got old after a few days, especially the scooter special play pick, HURL! I dont think good play by play is possible unless they devote an entire year for many, many different ways to say something new about a play that will happen multiple times per game. One of the reasons I like Madden on monday night is because they go off on related tangents and talk football, strategy and about players college career and current strengths /weakness', that would be fine by me. A literal play by play is boring, a real game isnt called play by play on tv, they cut in on an int or long ball, run etc..that I believe is what they need to do, but a LOT of recording is needed, and that probably wont be fit into thier budget.
They devoted work on the playmakers, the D, passing, now running/blocking, what should be next for 08?
http://www.slamduncan.com/
Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Shouldn't "none of the above" be an option? There are some of us who would be perfectly happy w/a stadium announcer and improved player/coach banter.
That's what I'd like best. Really make you feel like you're in the stadium, iun the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #22

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
That's what I'd like best. Really make you feel like you're in the stadium, iun the game.
While that could be nice, I don't think Tiburon can pull it off. If you listen to the voices they are using with the player animations, it comes across very akward. They'd have to really nail it to have player/coach interaction to where it looks believable. Right now, the player chatter doesn't feel like it's coming from the players. It just fells like sound-bytes.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
While that could be nice, I don't think Tiburon can pull it off. If you listen to the voices they are using with the player animations, it comes across very akward. They'd have to really nail it to have player/coach interaction to where it looks believable. Right now, the player chatter doesn't feel like it's coming from the players. It just fells like sound-bytes.
I agree but even without player/coach chatter, just the PA announcer with godd crowd sounds can go along way to making you feel like you're in the stadium, if not on the field. I usually end up turning commentary off in all sports games and turning up crowd volume. With surround sound, it makes you feel like you're there.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #24
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

For a game with 2007 and Next Gen on it, there should be an option to let the player chose if they want tv style presentation or on field sytle presentation. If TV sytle is chosen the PBP should consist of at least 2 people that comment on stats and on field observations, as well as injury reports etc. and not just announce what is happening. Hate to say it again, but look no further than 2K games which out do them in this category as well.

Last edited by xylocaine; 08-03-2006 at 05:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »