Home

Screen Passes

This is a discussion on Screen Passes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Screen Passes

One thing I would love to know, is has the Dlineman momentum been fixed in '07?

Let me illustrate. You are running a screen play, your QB drops, invites the rush, waits till Oline pulls, then at the last instance dumps to RB. But the Dlinemean who was charging flat out at the QB, spins on a dime, without losing any momentum and charges still at full speed in the opposite direction, and crushes the RB before he can get going.

This drove me crazy, in '06 (XBOX) because it's completely impossible, and happened 8/10 times on screen plays, and made them pointless to run.

(In fact in all occurances when a player is running flat out in one direction then does a 180 and runs still at full speed in the other direction, which would rip apart just about everything in a person's legs and cause them to collapse)

Anyone know if this has been fixed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18
Re: Screen Passes

I don't know if it is fixed or even whether it should be, I was watching NFL live two days ago talking about the differnce between college and NFL D Lineman how the NFL one are so much quicker and can pursue downfield ala Jason Taylor for the Fins. Maybe instead of the animation looking like them spinning on a dime instead it should be them turning around and then running down people??

Once again is this a bug or intended to balance the game? Something I'd like to ask EA.

Screen passes in the NFL in the backfield have a very low % of positve yardage, but when they do work they usually gain alot.

Last edited by MaddenMan; 08-10-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

I had the PS2 versions in prior years and the screen pass was difficult to pull off. More often then not, it would be shut down. However, the screen pass works ALOT better on NCAA 07 (360)... so I'm hoping it will be the same for Madden 07 (360).
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenMan
I don't know if it is fixed or even whether it should be, I was watching NFL live two days ago talking about the differnce between college and NFL D Lineman how the NFL one are so much quicker and can pursue downfield ala Jason Taylor for the Fins. Maybe instead of the animation looking like them spinning on a dime instead it should be them turning around and then running down people??

Once again is this a bug or intended to balance the game? Something I'd like to ask EA.

Screen passes in the NFL in the backfield have a very low % of positve yardage, but when they do work they usually gain alot.

Yeah I admit Taylor is great in pursuit of plays like this, but that isn't what I mean.

Just try it. Whoever you are be it Jason Taylor, LDT, Randy Moss it doesn't matter. If you are running due S, then to go Due N, you have to come to a virtual halt, and then accelerate again, unless you run a wide loop (in which case you still slow down). The players in '06 didn't do this they just kept on going as if they were running in the same direction, which made it so that it was either a choice of let the linemen (lb whoever) get close enough to flatten the QB (and risk the pass going anywhere) or throw just b4 and have the lineman get there a split second after the pass.

Anyways, looking forward to the game, hope its addressed stuff like this (and does anyone really care about Superstar mode etc., nice selling points but the game playing well is what matters)...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
Yeah I admit Taylor is great in pursuit of plays like this, but that isn't what I mean.

Just try it. Whoever you are be it Jason Taylor, LDT, Randy Moss it doesn't matter. If you are running due S, then to go Due N, you have to come to a virtual halt, and then accelerate again, unless you run a wide loop (in which case you still slow down). The players in '06 didn't do this they just kept on going as if they were running in the same direction, which made it so that it was either a choice of let the linemen (lb whoever) get close enough to flatten the QB (and risk the pass going anywhere) or throw just b4 and have the lineman get there a split second after the pass.

Anyways, looking forward to the game, hope its addressed stuff like this (and does anyone really care about Superstar mode etc., nice selling points but the game playing well is what matters)...
I agree with you. On the current gen games, the only time you could get a screen pass to work was if you played on Pro (or lower). On Pro, everyone plays to their attributes, so the AI didn't get any artificial boosts that made some things, like a screen pass, useless.

As far as Superstar Mode, because the gameplay is still a work-in-progress and is seemingly gonna be just good, not great, it's something like Superstar mode that will keep me playing this game probably longer than I would have. IMO, it doesn't seem like the gameplay is gonna be as deep as it probably wil end up being in a year or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Pro

It works much better on the 360, very similar to NCAA 360. In fact for a last play of the game, instead of just throwing up a hail mary that would not have been caught, I ended up going with a screen since you have a wide array of moves you can use when you have the ball.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Pro

Well joy of joys, YES I can state categorically that it has been fixed..(XBOX version I have). In fact in all plays momentum has become realistic, this one factor changes 07 in such a better way than its predecessor.

I've just run 2 hours real time of practice (I'm thorough if nothing else) running replays every time and watching how guys now have to come to a stop to run the other way..it's just great to see some big dlinemen actually losing their balance and falling over as they try to stop too fast and turn around..the XBOX 07 version actually seems to use real physics at last..right handed QBs scrambling to their left can actually still throw on the run by twisting their bodies and don't have to come to a dead stop or throw like total ******s as before...

A happy customer already
Old 08-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Thanks for researching that. I have naturally avoided the screen because of those problems. John Madden stated in an interview one time that he could never get the timing right on screen plays. He said he studied the masters which was Lombardi's Packers in the 60's. He said no matter how hard he studied their films he just couldn't get it going with the Raiders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »