Home

EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

This is a discussion on EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon13 EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

Great buisness strategy EA. Kill your competion by buying the exclusive NFL license for a crap load of money mind you, only to sell basically the same amount of copies of Madden as you did the year before with competition, piss alot of people off in the process including myself who now refuses to buy into your crap, does not even remotely begin to add up. The more logical and sensible buisness strategy would have been to make a killer Madden game, let it sell itself as you would have surely sold the 5 million copies you sold across all platforms from the Madden name alone, not buy the exclusive NFL license, save a crap load of money on your bottom line and in return make a larger profit and not piss anyone off. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out but then again it's EA were talking about. Scared of competion EA aren't you, feeling a little bit insecure EA, judging by Madden 360 I guess what you did made somewhat buisness sense, that game sucked big time and 2k would have trounced you and made you look amateur and foolish. Thank god it was only a rental and I returned it the next day! No more benifit of the doubt EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

Your argument makes no sense. EA may have sold the same number of copies but it was at their price, not the reduced figure of $29.99 they had to drop to because of the 2K series. If they sold the same number of copies but got $20 more per game, do you think that's a bad business move? Let's see, 4 million copies (or whatever) X $20 = $80 million in one year. I guess the license is worth that amount per year and I think they paid $60 million ($300 mil over 5 years) so it hasn't worked out too bad. It also protects their future earning from being eroded which now includes all next gen consoles. I don't agree with this exclusive crap at all but it was a great business move.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

curious ,was it same amount of copies from the 360? if so...there's not enough 360's to go around.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

I'm curious. Where the hell are you getting your information? Don't come on here, throwing out these blanket statements without facts to support it. Come on...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

^MADDEN sold 2.5 million copies, it was posted on IGN.

I agree with this thread, because CLEARLY alot of 2K fans stuck playing the superior 2k5 football game and didnt "jump ship".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

You know what I don't believe it was a matter of selling madden copies really. I think that the 2k series was starting to sell alot more. Yes you can argue 19.99 price point 2k sold for but just think of how many new people they gained that year. 19.99 wouldn't have been for 2k6 and they clearly stated that. But they gained a much larger fan base wether you believe it or not. It was only a matter of maybe 2 years that 2k would've made a near perfect game and madden knew that. That's why they bought the exclusive
Old 02-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
You know what I don't believe it was a matter of selling madden copies really. I think that the 2k series was starting to sell alot more. Yes you can argue 19.99 price point 2k sold for but just think of how many new people they gained that year. 19.99 wouldn't have been for 2k6 and they clearly stated that. But they gained a much larger fan base wether you believe it or not. It was only a matter of maybe 2 years that 2k would've made a near perfect game and madden knew that. That's why they bought the exclusive
AGREED!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
EA bought the exclusive rights because if they didn't SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. Why is that so difficult for some of you to grasp? If EA didn't get the license, they go from selling 2 million+ copies of Madden every year to selling none at all. Surely you guys can see why EA couldn't allow that to happen?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »