Home

I think I actually hate SS mode - just me?

This is a discussion on I think I actually hate SS mode - just me? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
I think I actually hate SS mode - just me?

I hear so much praise for this mode... yet, it doesn't make any sense.

The way it's setup just doesn't make any sense at all. Firstly - getting influence points during practice is just way too simple - and I don't see how that should really count towards anything other than little stat boosts over time.

I was playing a RB - and my beef is that that point system makes 0 sense. The QB calls a long pass... I'm a HB... So, the play starts and I run my little fake short route and the QB wails a 40 yard pass for an INT... Then I get docked influence points... next offensive play (after stopping PHI), the QB throws to a WR who drops it... I then lose influence points.

Now... none of that makes any sense to me. Why is it my fault the computer can't play worth a ****? And why is it my fault when I had nothing to do with the outcome?

To me the whole HOF thing should be based purely on points - some some stupid, artificial point system that docks me points because my team mates can't do ****...

great - I run for a ton of yards and get a few TD's - but then I come out with little influence points because of the idiotic teammate AI.

*I also hate the camera, but that's something I can work on getting used to. If I decide to continue to try this mode.

I just want to know if anyone else here feels the same about this... It just doesn't make sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: I think I actually hate SS mode - just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
I hear so much praise for this mode... yet, it doesn't make any sense.

The way it's setup just doesn't make any sense at all. Firstly - getting influence points during practice is just way too simple - and I don't see how that should really count towards anything other than little stat boosts over time.

I was playing a RB - and my beef is that that point system makes 0 sense. The QB calls a long pass... I'm a HB... So, the play starts and I run my little fake short route and the QB wails a 40 yard pass for an INT... Then I get docked influence points... next offensive play (after stopping PHI), the QB throws to a WR who drops it... I then lose influence points.

Now... none of that makes any sense to me. Why is it my fault the computer can't play worth a ****? And why is it my fault when I had nothing to do with the outcome?

To me the whole HOF thing should be based purely on points - some some stupid, artificial point system that docks me points because my team mates can't do ****...

great - I run for a ton of yards and get a few TD's - but then I come out with little influence points because of the idiotic teammate AI.

*I also hate the camera, but that's something I can work on getting used to. If I decide to continue to try this mode.

I just want to know if anyone else here feels the same about this... It just doesn't make sense.
I agree 100%
Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

The only counter I can offer you is this: influence isn't skill.

If your team is constantly throwing deep balls and not running you as the tailback, then your influence in the organization and the team is not rising...it's falling. It doesn't mean you suck, but if they constantly have horrible plays in the passing game and STILL don't call a rushing play, then your influence *should* drop from that perspective. It means your influence over the playcalling and coaching staff is so bad that they don't even give you a chance. Your influence drops because you have no impact on the game (through no fault of your own, but it doesn't change the fact that you're not even close to a focal point given your examples so far).
Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I find the SS mode very boring as the HB. I don't do anything but sit there and watch. I ran the ball 1 time in 1 quarter. Whooo, just what I bought it for, to sit and watch the computer play. No thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

I agree with the negative outcomes of plays shouldn't affect your influence but if your QB throws 60 yard TD strike you gain positive points so it tends to equal out.

The camera definately will take time to get acustom to. I hate the fact that you have somewhat tunnel vision so to speak and have no peripheral vision; that is frustrating.

The mode without a doubt needs work but it's a nice start.

Last edited by BigD; 08-24-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Pro

kenn5373's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
I agree with the negative outcomes of plays shouldn't affect your influence but if your QB throws 60 yard TD strike you gain positive points so it tends to equal out.

The camera definately will take time to get acustom to. I hate the fact that you have somewhat tunnel vision so to speak and have no peripheral vision; that is frustrating.

The mode without a doubt needs work but it's a nice start.
I agree, when your running the ball you have no idea if someone is coming from the side to tackle you. I think they should have just left the regular camera intact and just had a player lock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »