Home

Madden 2008: Gang Tackling!

This is a discussion on Madden 2008: Gang Tackling! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Madden 2008: Gang Tackling!

I did do some research and apparently they are indeed working on gang tackling, they just couldn't implement it this year. It is supposed to be in the PS3 version and will make into the 360 version for 2008. Now we just have to hope its implemented well.

There still might be tackling/collision issues, but assuming they do it right it should take care of that.

The only thing gameplaywise I would like to see is more fluid WR/DB play.

What I think is wrong with the passing game is that the QB's are too accurate and despite being able to the lead the receiver their primary goal is to throw it to the receiver instead of throwing it away from the DB. I think they are accurate to make the game for fun and less frustrating. To make up for that the DB's need to be able to swat down alot of passes to keep the receptions down. Madden players aren't NFL QB's either so to keep the picks down the DB's have to be bad at catching balls, which looks even more pathetic when you notice they get their hands on everything.

Its really not as bad as I think I'm making it out to be, but I think alot more bombs need to be way overthrown or underthrown, alot more passes need to be harder to catch, some need to just hit the ground sail over the receivers head etc. If they do that the DB's won't have to do as much swating to keep picks down. They might still have to be bad at catching, but considering they won't get their hand on every incompletion it won't look so bad when they just drop a couple picks a game instead of 20.

If they do all this I think the gameplay will be even better. I'm very surprised how good the gameplay is in 2007. If the gang tackling is well done this game will get even better.

Now if they can just beef up franchise a little more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Madden 2008: Gang Tackling!

Sources ?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Base

What I think is wrong with the passing game is that the QB's are too accurate and despite being able to the lead the receiver their primary goal is to throw it to the receiver instead of throwing it away from the DB. I think they are accurate to make the game for fun and less frustrating. To make up for that the DB's need to be able to swat down alot of passes to keep the receptions down. Madden players aren't NFL QB's either so to keep the picks down the DB's have to be bad at catching balls, which looks even more pathetic when you notice they get their hands on everything.

Its really not as bad as I think I'm making it out to be, but I think alot more bombs need to be way overthrown or underthrown, alot more passes need to be harder to catch, some need to just hit the ground sail over the receivers head etc. If they do that the DB's won't have to do as much swating to keep picks down. They might still have to be bad at catching, but considering they won't get their hand on every incompletion it won't look so bad when they just drop a couple picks a game instead of 20.

:
Very insightful observation. I agree with you totally on this one.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Very good obversation on QB/WR/DB interaction in the game. QB's have always been far too accurate. To compensate, EA makes a rating called catching that is too important in this game. It really is.

A WR should not drop an easy pass (maybe once a game you'll see it happen, but it's too often in video games). If instead EA concentrated on making QB's less accurate and allow WR to catch more balls based on the simple fact that the ball is in their hands and should be caught, we'd actually see higher accuracy percentages and less tipped passes. I know that sounds weird when you think about it, but it might actually just work.

Another thing that needs to happen is pocket pressure. It needs to be more intensed. I think part of the reason why we see so many DB's get too balls and/or balls being thrown directly at WR on long routes is the gamer waiting too long to make the pass. If pocket pressure were increased to force the gamer to make faster passes then the deep game would be more realistic. We'd have to get rid of the ball faster, forcing WR's to actually get to the ball (and minimizing EA's need to give QB's unrealistic throwing power) and perhaps allowing for WR's to gain space on DB's and their happy swatting hands.

Mix that in with QB's being less accurate and we'd get overthrown balls or underthrown balls. In addition, the balls need to sway left and right a bit more. Passes are far too accurate toward the receiver. Rarely, if ever, do you see a WR have to turn his body toward the sideline to make a catch. That needs to be changed.

With more pocket pressure, perhaps the gamer will actually start going for quicker pass plays with quick slants, curls, and fades. More realistic style of game and if WR's could actually catch the ball then QB's will have higher accuracy percentages.

(...this 98 in cathing and an 85 in catching is pathetic. WR's aren't seperated by how well they catch the ball. They are seperated by speed and running routes. T.O. is better than Santana Moss because he runs his routes better, recognizes the D better, gets in front of his defender better, and knows how to use his speed. If you throw 10 footballs at each of those players they'd catch 10 footballs if they were open. Moss wouldn't drop 3 of them like he would in Madden, and Owens wouldn't drop 2 of them).
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride_YP
Very good obversation on QB/WR/DB interaction in the game. QB's have always been far too accurate. To compensate, EA makes a rating called catching that is too important in this game. It really is.

A WR should not drop an easy pass (maybe once a game you'll see it happen, but it's too often in video games). If instead EA concentrated on making QB's less accurate and allow WR to catch more balls based on the simple fact that the ball is in their hands and should be caught, we'd actually see higher accuracy percentages and less tipped passes. I know that sounds weird when you think about it, but it might actually just work.

Another thing that needs to happen is pocket pressure. It needs to be more intensed. I think part of the reason why we see so many DB's get too balls and/or balls being thrown directly at WR on long routes is the gamer waiting too long to make the pass. If pocket pressure were increased to force the gamer to make faster passes then the deep game would be more realistic. We'd have to get rid of the ball faster, forcing WR's to actually get to the ball (and minimizing EA's need to give QB's unrealistic throwing power) and perhaps allowing for WR's to gain space on DB's and their happy swatting hands.

Mix that in with QB's being less accurate and we'd get overthrown balls or underthrown balls. In addition, the balls need to sway left and right a bit more. Passes are far too accurate toward the receiver. Rarely, if ever, do you see a WR have to turn his body toward the sideline to make a catch. That needs to be changed.

With more pocket pressure, perhaps the gamer will actually start going for quicker pass plays with quick slants, curls, and fades. More realistic style of game and if WR's could actually catch the ball then QB's will have higher accuracy percentages.

(...this 98 in cathing and an 85 in catching is pathetic. WR's aren't seperated by how well they catch the ball. They are seperated by speed and running routes. T.O. is better than Santana Moss because he runs his routes better, recognizes the D better, gets in front of his defender better, and knows how to use his speed. If you throw 10 footballs at each of those players they'd catch 10 footballs if they were open. Moss wouldn't drop 3 of them like he would in Madden, and Owens wouldn't drop 2 of them).
I agree for the most part, but catching ability is extremely important in real life and does separate the great receivers from the good ones, and the good ones to the not-so-good ones. For example, if a receiver's hands didn't matter, the best receivers would all be ex-track stars. Look at Chris Carter and Jerry Rice. These guys weren't necessarily the fastest receivers, but they were reliable, they were clutch. If you put the ball anywhere near them, they'd come down with it. Torry Holt is the same way. Hell, Wayne Chrebet's career is a testament to this. He never had great measureables, but he always came through in the clutch. Having great hands is in no way overrated. Sure, most NFL caliber receivers should be able to catch nearly every ball that hits them in the hands, but dismissing the fact that some have much greater hands than others, and the importance of that--- is ignorant.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Banned

There is also the issue of the DB's being able to sense the ball when it goes up. They do not actually have to see the ball and react, all the DB's in an are a regardless of their positioning and assignment all fly to the receiver instantly.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Addressing the Catching ability thing....you're both pretty much correct.

The catching attribute should not affect how often player catch balls that hit them right in the hands, because NFL receivers will rarely, if ever, drop one of them. The catching attribute should only really have an affect on balls that are very hard to catch, such as passes over their head and when they get drilled by a safety right as they get the ball.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Banned

It can't really affect how hard it is to catch off target passes, because there aren't really any off target passes. They are all pretty much on target with a few exceptions, the thing you have to be careful with is if there is a DB in the way. If passes were more innacurate you could really get a sense of WR ability because then you would have to differentiate more how and which players catch bad passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »