Home

PC best version?

This is a discussion on PC best version? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #49
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: PC best version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Agreed. One small question though; I use the wired 360 controller, but don't get any vibration. Is there any way to change this, or does the PC game not allow for it? Not a biggie, since the game is so nice--but just curious.

I don't get vibration on my Logitech Rumblepad 2 either, I bet NZA knows the answer to this question.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #50
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

What's a good controller to use? Also, how does it play in widescreen mode? I have a Dell 24 inch LCD.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
What's a good controller to use? Also, how does it play in widescreen mode? I have a Dell 24 inch LCD.

It plays nice. I've got a 50" Sony LCD (rear projection) and it's beautiful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #52
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Unfortunately I think vibration isn't in Madden PC....is it even in 360? I could have sworn I didn't get it for 06 360. It is a little bit of a shame but to be honest, the best part about Forcefeedback controllers, IMO, is their weight, even if FF isn't enabled. I hate really light controllers, you need those two motors in there to give it some weight

swaldo - The best controllers are the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and MS XB360 controller (wired). Both should work right away in Madden PC.

SemperVictoria, 06 wasn't anywhere near as good as this gameplay wise. xylocaine said it best, it felt like a PC sports game - clunky, rigid, and it was such an obvious port.

You see, EA actually outsource the PC version to another company. It is the same code base as the Xbox version more or less, with what use to be a half assed PC coating. I think 05 and 06 were handled by a group called BudCat Creations:

http://www.budcat.com/

No offense to BudCat, but Madden PC wasn't suited to them I don't think.

Anyway, 07 has a new team on it - HeadGateStudios. If you've played all of EA's PC sports titles, I think you can safely say Tiger Woods is the best as far as adapting to the PC controls and using what the PC has. Well, guess who controls Tiger Woods? Yet, HeadGateStuidos. Here is their site:

http://www.headgatestudios.com/

They are a far more PC orientated studio and it is already showing.

To be honest, I was pumped about Next Gen for PC with Madden 08, but I *really* hope now instead of doing that, HeadGateStuidos get to take the PC version on its own path. Add the new models and stadiums and stuff, but I think the engine is fine, and I think they have the skill to add stuff like any changes to the tackling engine, the new attributes etc. There is nothing wrong with the PC engine, it doesn't have any memory constraints like the XBox and PS2 versions. There is no reason they can't add any changes made to the 360/PS3 versions to the current PC engine.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with 08 PC, if they must port the 360/PS3 game over I really hope it's not until it absolutely must be because 07 PC is the best PC version by far.

Last edited by Nza; 08-26-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #53
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Unfortunately I think vibration isn't in Madden PC....is it even in 360? I could have sworn I didn't get it for 06 360. It is a little bit of a shame but to be honest, the best part about Forcefeedback controllers, IMO, is their weight, even if FF isn't enabled. I hate really light controllers, you need those two motors in there to give it some weight

swaldo - The best controllers are the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and MS XB360 controller (wired). Both should work right away in Madden PC.

SemperVictoria, 06 wasn't anywhere near as good as this gameplay wise. xylocaine said it best, it felt like a PC sports game - clunky, rigid, and it was such an obvious port.

You see, EA actually outsource the PC version to another company. It is the same code base as the Xbox version more or less, with what use to be a half assed PC coating. I think 05 and 06 were handled by a group called BudCat Creations:

http://www.budcat.com/

No offense to BudCat, but Madden PC wasn't suited to them I don't think.

Anyway, 07 has a new team on it - HeadGateStudios. If you've played all of EA's PC sports titles, I think you can safely say Tiger Woods is the best as far as adapting to the PC controls and using what the PC has. Well, guess who controls Tiger Woods? Yet, HeadGateStuidos. Here is their site:

http://www.headgatestudios.com/

They are a far more PC orientated studio and it is already showing.

To be honest, I was pumped about Next Gen for PC with Madden 08, but I *really* hope now instead of doing that, HeadGateStuidos get to take the PC version on its own path. Add the new models and stadiums and stuff, but I think the engine is fine, and I think they have the skill to add stuff like any changes to the tackling engine, the new attributes etc. There is nothing wrong with the PC engine, it doesn't have any memory constraints like the XBox and PS2 versions. There is no reason they can't add any changes made to the 360/PS3 versions to the current PC engine.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with 08 PC, if they must port the 360/PS3 game over I really hope it's not until it absolutely must be because 07 PC is the best PC version by far.

Thanks for the info, I might have to give it a try. I have avoided the PC because of the clunky controls of the past so it's great news to hear there was some effort put into the PC platform this year. It will be great playing on the Dell widescreen with better graphics and no hassle access to the fastest internet connection in the house for online play.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1
Talking Re: PC best version?

consider me another convert. i used to play pc from about madden 97 to around 2001, but i thought that the consoles were the ones taking steps forward. well with a major step back with the 360 versions of madden, i am back on the pc and loving it. very happy. and i probably wouldn't have tried it if i didn't come to this website so often.

Last edited by tonedef407; 08-27-2006 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling of tried
Old 08-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #55
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Thanks for the info, I might have to give it a try. I have avoided the PC because of the clunky controls of the past so it's great news to hear there was some effort put into the PC platform this year. It will be great playing on the Dell widescreen with better graphics and no hassle access to the fastest internet connection in the house for online play.
Swaldo, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Nza and xylocaine are spot-on: This game is NICE.

What’s surprising to me, is how a ported game can actually feel so much more smooth than it’s console brothers (including the 360). The animations even flow better than the 360 version. It’s an extremely pretty game—but it also plays tight. Not to mention all the editing and other functions you can do with Nza’s editor—as well as other utility programs. It's simply awsome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #56
Rookie

Jack_Bauer's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm using a 360 controller and it is great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »