Home

new to football, plz help

This is a discussion on new to football, plz help within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
new to football, plz help

Sup fellas,

1st post for me. Ive always been interested in football, but never really understood the game, so never really got into it. However, I had some free time ( and money, lol), so i figure I would pick up Madden 07 and learn the game.

I understand most of the basic rules now, but I am completely baffled by the playbooks, and just basic football strategy in general. I was wondering if anyone here would be cool enough to explain to a newb basic football strategy. The reason I want to learn is cuz I am clueless as to what plays to choose in certain situations and just how to strategize my overall game plan based on team strenghts/weakness when playing.

PS. - i read up on the thread exlpaining the fix for the HOFs in franchise mode, it says to get roster from online. Is it just me or am I not seeing any rosters aviable for download?

- thx!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: new to football, plz help

I could help I wanna help, but I can't say it in this fourm. Send me a PM or post in the 2K section. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Check this out: Wikipedia Entry for American Football Strategy

I just found that, and it's pretty good for strategy, but not perfect.

It really all depends on the type of team you have. I use the Ravens, so I'll tell you my strategy with them. I run a lot of runs up the middle (running plays with the word Slam and Dive, mainly, and sometimes Counter's too). I avoid stretch plays because Jamal Lewis isn't really made for those types of runs, although he can bust huge runs off of toss plays from time to time. I also like to run a lot of short passing plays where the receivers run cross/slant/curl/out routes with the occasional fade route. After you establish the run, run a PlayAction play and you should usually be able to find at least one open receiver, and if you're lucky it'll be one that's running a deep slant or fade.

On defense I run almost exclusively zone defense's, at least until 3rd & less than 6. I also like to confuse the offense by blitzing different combinations of linebacks, and I especially love blitzing with my Nickel-back.

Hope that helps

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

hmm, interesting read, plz explain the philosphy behind zone defenses if you dont mind.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeshen
hmm, interesting read, plz explain the philosphy behind zone defenses if you dont mind.

Zone defense is pretty much where you're willing to give up a few short passes of 3-8 yards in order to prevent deep passes. It gives up a bunch of short gains, but rarely gives up a big play.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »