Home

Route Running in SS mode

This is a discussion on Route Running in SS mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Route Running in SS mode

I have a few questions about playing a WR in SS mode. I've searched and haven't been able to find anything yet. First off, it seems that some of the routes for a WR in SS mode are useless. For instance, curl patterns. I've tried everything possible to get curl patterns to work. In Franchise mode, the reciever turns in, stops, and usually the CB stands behind him and sometimes will jump on the ball, but most of the time they just sit there. (NOTE: I'm not saying that doing this is the correct way to have the curl patterns work. It's just how they do in franchise and the CPU recievers on your team while you are playing SS) If you are the WR in SS mode and try to run a curl route, here is what happens...

1.) You run forward, then press down on the controller. You get about 2 yards of seperation. Even if you hit L1 to get the quarterback looking at you before you break, the corner will superspeed in front of you and break it up or pick it off. This happens EVERY time the QB throws me the ball.

2.) You run forward, then hit the back "juke" trigger to lose the CB. This sends you in a all out 6 to 7 yard sprint back towards the line of scrimmage. If the QB does in fact throw you the ball, they will throw it short thinking you are running full speed. Most of the time, the ball just hits the ground because you want to stop. If I actually keep moving back, I will catch the ball behind the line of scrimmage and then run for my life just to gain a couple of yards.

3.) You run forward, then press down and attempt to block the CB from getting in front of you. When this occurs, the CB will rub against you and eventually get in front of you no matter what you do to break up or intercept the pass.

In the end, curl routes are basically useless in SS mode. I wouldn't be as upset, but I can watch a replay of the reciever opposite of me running a curl route and catch the ball and make a positive play out of it.

Has anyone else had these problems? I've tried practice after practice to get these to work and haven't found any kind of secret to them. I actually catch less than 5% of the ones thrown to me. Probably 20% of the time, they are picked off... If you know a way to get these to work correctly, please let me know. It's frustrating to see the team finally call a pass play in a game, but everytime you are to run a freaking curl route...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Route Running in SS mode

I have to disagree. Curl routes is where I get most of my yardage from. Although sometimes #2 does happen.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
I have to disagree. Curl routes is where I get most of my yardage from. Although sometimes #2 does happen.
Same here. Once I figured out what I was doing on them, with my WR SS, I get lots of plays on curl routes. Using the left trigger to strafe and find the open spot in the zone has been quite helpful.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Same here. Once I figured out what I was doing on them, with my WR SS, I get lots of plays on curl routes. Using the left trigger to strafe and find the open spot in the zone has been quite helpful.

Are you guys using XBox or PS2? I wonder if they are different... Also, when you go into strafing, do you using the "juke" to turn around, or just push down?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkfloydsound
Are you guys using XBox or PS2? I wonder if they are different... Also, when you go into strafing, do you using the "juke" to turn around, or just push down?
I'm pretty sure me and BK are playing the 360 version. I never used the strafe button so I dont know. I think I might look into that when I load it up the next time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkfloydsound
360 version.

When I am running a curl route, I head up the field leaving the turbo off. I push the right stick down to make th curl, hit the left trigger, and let go of the left stick. Then as I would if I were really running a curl route, I continue to strafe to find an open spot in the zone and then go to the ball.

If that makes sense.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Smile Re: Route Running in SS mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
360 version.

When I am running a curl route, I head up the field leaving the turbo off. I push the right stick down to make th curl, hit the left trigger, and let go of the left stick. Then as I would if I were really running a curl route, I continue to strafe to find an open spot in the zone and then go to the ball.

If that makes sense.

Yeah, it does make sense. I'm about to try it out. Thanks for the input guys. I'm still stuck in the lowly PS2 version, so it might be different. I hope not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »