Home

Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD...

This is a discussion on Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Well, next gen Madden doesn't have the multiple player tackles that current gen has. So even adding that could be considered an improvement
Yup..just like 2006 didn't have superstar mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #42
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

This EA/Sony bullsh*t really sucks. The only good thing is, I am sure Madden 08 for the 360 will finally have gang tackling if the PS3 07 version has it. It is really such a shame for us XBox 360 owners.

To hear EA say "now we can finally do this" makes me want to vomit with the flat out lies we hear from this company day in and day out. Actually now that I think about it, I bet the PS3 version won't have gang tackling either. EA will say just about anything but when do they actually own up to their statements.

Wasn't next gen Madden supposed to look BETTER than the original commercials?

Didn't they claim this engine was built from the ground up? If it was, they really must have had a hard time copying and pasting the two hand touch tackles and the shot in the back animation.

EA did a good job on Madden 07 and they will continue to add just enough for us suckers to buy the game each year. Having no competition is doing wonders for us gamers isn't it
Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
But the PS3 version could be different than the 360 version. I'm not saying EA won't just port it over (they've done this many times in the past), but we just don't know. It's really not worth speculating over as none of us know.

I'm not sure what can make someone so sure that it won't be there in the PS3 version when none of us have played it.

Personally, I don't care as I'm not buying a PS3, but it's conceivable that it will be implemented.

I have not played the game so I do not know for sure and it is possible that there will be gang tackling. The million dollar question is how will this be implemented. The lowest cost and easiest way to do it is by scripting the tackles so that the user has very little control. If I remember correctly, even the current generation Madden has two man wrap up tackles.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
I have not played the game so I do not know for sure and it is possible that there will be gang tackling. The million dollar question is how will this be implemented. The lowest cost and easiest way to do it is by scripting the tackles so that the user has very little control. If I remember correctly, even the current generation Madden has two man wrap up tackles.
It might not be as difficult if they do what I think they are going to do. They have user break tackle on current gen 07 now so the tackles feel less scripted. All they would need to do is bring that up and let defenders react with the back as he is breaking tackles.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #45
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
It might not be as difficult if they do what I think they are going to do. They have user break tackle on current gen 07 now so the tackles feel less scripted. All they would need to do is bring that up and let defenders react with the back as he is breaking tackles.
I would think they'd have to greatly tighten up the player interaction then. Too often tackles occur at the mere hint of contact - defender on the ground and offensive player touches him; results in a tackle. Defensive player super dives and touches the offensive player; tackle. I think it's doable as you say but they need to refine the base which the tackling system is based off of imo. Unless they're just looking to refine the wrap tackles and leave the other stuff alone. If they are indeed working on making the system less arcadey it'll be welcome - three or four years late, but welcome.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_1523
but why bash sony? Why not bash EA for siding with Sony in the first place.

It's like EA and the nfl, it's ok to bash EA for it, but if you're gonna bash Sony, then you might as well criticize the nfl for giving EA exclusive rights.
It is partially the NFL's fault. So there.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #47
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
All they have to do is add a lot of dragging tackles, and for each dragging tackle, have a hotzone in front, back and each side, so if a defender comes in at one of these hotzones while the dragging tackle is commencing, it will tree into a new tackle animation. ESPN did this - it didn't have a real time physics engine, it just had a few different possible outcomes for each standard tackle animation. They were all pre-rendered/mo-capped too, it's just the selection of tackle animation was more sophisticated and relevant to what was actually happening in game. In theory, if you played long enough, you'd see every possible tackle in ESPN, because they were all just pre-recorded animations too, it's just they were far more dependant on the position of players.

You could get a very advanced tackling system like this without going near real physics. Lets say the game has 100 default tackles. Add 360 hotzones to each tackle representing all 360 degrees of possible entry for a 2nd tackler, where each degree features a slightly different animation, and that's 36,000 possible unique tackling outcomes. Most would look close to being the same, but that's the NFL for you.

That's what they should do - it would improve tackling a lot without possibly ruining the whole game with a patchy physics engine. What they'll probably do however at best is add a few tackles with maybe 3-4 hotzones like ESPN had. Anything is an upgrade at this point though.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #48
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Or EA knows that most people will have already bought the 07 version and when the P3 comes out.. so they add a lil something to make you buy the newest version..

Yeah I hate them too..lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »