Home

Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD...

This is a discussion on Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Gang tackling discussed in PS2 HOF Edition DVD...

I think we will see a direct port to the PS3. We should see some vids in a month or so.

Last edited by grunt; 09-05-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
All they have to do is add a lot of dragging tackles, and for each dragging tackle, have a hotzone in front, back and each side, so if a defender comes in at one of these hotzones while the dragging tackle is commencing, it will tree into a new tackle animation. ESPN did this - it didn't have a real time physics engine, it just had a few different possible outcomes for each standard tackle animation. They were all pre-rendered/mo-capped too, it's just the selection of tackle animation was more sophisticated and relevant to what was actually happening in game. In theory, if you played long enough, you'd see every possible tackle in ESPN, because they were all just pre-recorded animations too, it's just they were far more dependant on the position of players.

You could get a very advanced tackling system like this without going near real physics. Lets say the game has 100 default tackles. Add 360 hotzones to each tackle representing all 360 degrees of possible entry for a 2nd tackler, where each degree features a slightly different animation, and that's 36,000 possible unique tackling outcomes. Most would look close to being the same, but that's the NFL for you.

That's what they should do - it would improve tackling a lot without possibly ruining the whole game with a patchy physics engine. What they'll probably do however at best is add a few tackles with maybe 3-4 hotzones like ESPN had. Anything is an upgrade at this point though.
I would have no problem if EA does this. Matter of fact I believe they will do this before the physics.

Good post man.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #51
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

It's hilarious that they are claiming that they are just now able to add gang tackles. I don't know how someone can support a company when the company speaks to their customers as if they are idiots.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #52
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It's hilarious that they are claiming that they are just now able to add gang tackles. I don't know how someone can support a company when the company speaks to their customers as if they are idiots.
I laughed a year or so ago when they said current gen systems didn't allow them to add gang tackling.

First, to date, they haven't put gang tackling on next gen either. Secondly, there was another company that obviously found a way to do it on current gen.

So you have to interpret their statements as, "With our current direction with animations, current gen systems made it too diffifult to do. Next gen is kicking our *** too, but we think we finally figured it out."
Old 09-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #53
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
So you have to interpret their statements as, "With our current direction with animations, current gen systems made it too diffifult to do. Next gen is kicking our *** too, but we think we finally figured it out."

Hehe, made my day.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #54
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
After seeing PS3's Fight Night, I'm convinced that EA is in bed with Sony. Even though they had over three years to get it in on 360, gang tackling will magically appear day 1 on PS3. Since it was implemented pretty well on old tech, "Haven't had the ability to do before" must apply to the abilities of Tiburons development staff, not system limits, like he seems to be implying.

I honestly believe a vastly improved Madden WITH fully implemented gang tackling (not a rehash of the scripted crap they had before) is a system seller. Every Sonyfan who grudgingly bought the 360 will be dumping it like a hot potatoe.

Damn EA. I don't wanna spend another 700 dollars...
If you spend 700 bucks on a system because PS3 Madden has gang tackling you need some serious help. Especially when both games will be ports of each other in 2007.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #55
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

OVR: 21

I for one am getting sick of all of EA's eXcuses... but whatever....

I am definately going to try to scoop up a few ps3's so that my ps3 can be paid for...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #56
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
If you spend 700 bucks on a system because PS3 Madden has gang tackling you need some serious help. Especially when both games will be ports of each other in 2007.
I have to agree with that. If the PS3 and 360 versions were completely different games and Madden was the only game you played, I'd understand. As much as I'd like to see gang tackling, there is no way in hell that I'd fork over a couple hundred bucks for it when it'll be on 360 anyway next season. Like someone else mentioned earlier, this is just EA's way of trying to give people a reason to buy another copy of Madden this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »