Home

Plays that never seem to work..

This is a discussion on Plays that never seem to work.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Plays that never seem to work..

I do well with Flats, and Shotgun Draws usually get me quite a few yards.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
I do well with Flats, and Shotgun Draws usually get me quite a few yards.
draws result in 0 yards if i am lucky. flats i use all of the time. in fact i just watch the LBs. if they run towards the back i give up on the play. my point is that my first option in the flat or swing pass. i rarely use it as a saftey because the RB has already run out of position.

but one trick play that does work is the flea flicker. i now will start out the game with this play. highlight the post pattern receiver. but then switch and pass to the fly receiver. if you HB does not get tackled before he tosses it back it could result in a bomb TD.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Draw Plays--It's rare that they ever work. The problem, EA insists on having the passing icons pop up making it impossible to see the field and/or running lanes.

Flat Passes-Occasionally I can get one to go for a few yards, but the passes to the backs where the momentum takes them out of bounds have been in the game for years. Can we edit the play to make the back stop his route in the flat instead of having him go all the way to the sidelines?

WR Screen- I've never seen this work. Ever. The receiver will catch the pass, but immediately will get crushed.

WR Reverse-5 yard loss minimum everytime.

Has anyone had any luck with these?
When I saw the thread topic I started making a list in my head while the first page loaded...

You hit the nail on the head my friend...

Last edited by Mr. JimmyFly; 09-06-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Draw Plays--It's rare that they ever work. The problem, EA insists on having the passing icons pop up making it impossible to see the field and/or running lanes.

Flat Passes-Occasionally I can get one to go for a few yards, but the passes to the backs where the momentum takes them out of bounds have been in the game for years. Can we edit the play to make the back stop his route in the flat instead of having him go all the way to the sidelines?

WR Screen- I've never seen this work. Ever. The receiver will catch the pass, but immediately will get crushed.

WR Reverse-5 yard loss minimum everytime.

Has anyone had any luck with these?
The WR Screen always works for me...I usually get a First down with it.

The Flat passes also work...you gotta recognize and throw fast.

Draws hardly work for me...

End Aorunds...once
Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 11

I've tested the WR Screen in practice vs. random defenses and probably 70% of the time it gets stuffed for no gain or a loss, 20% of the time I get a minor gain out of it (less than five yards), and maybe once out of every ten tries I got a decent gain. It can work but it's definitely not an effective play from a risk/reward standpoint.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 5

the wr screen works, you have to know when to call it and when to audible out.

the hb/fb screens work.

the draw - never.

i get the end-around and reverse to work from time-to-time.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 8

Odd, I've had nearly the opposite experience (360). I rarely call screens but if I time it right, I usually get 8+ yards on WR screens. I've never had a HB or FB screen that gained yardage... But then again, I don't call them often. I've found draws work quite well against a pass defense where they aren't blitzing through the center. If I call a draw and they've got a 4-3 or a 3-4, i audible into something else. But a nickel or dime? I usually can't quite get 10 yards, but 8 is common for me. Reverses and end-arounds hardly ever work in the NFL too. I've not called a single one in 07. I've had success with tosses and sweeps near the endzone, but midfield? I get creamed.

The ones that never work for me:
TE flats.
Any quick slant to the center. (It'll work if I let him head clear across to the other side of the field though...)
Where recievers cut to the outside on the side of the field I'm closest to (What ******** QB would lead the receiver so far he throws it several yards out of bounds?)
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Rutledge
the wr screen works, you have to know when to call it and when to audible out.

the hb/fb screens work.

the draw - never.

i get the end-around and reverse to work from time-to-time.
I think the best way to make the WR screen work is to audible into it when you see the dbs play well off the WR...

Then again, it's just as easy to hot route down so the WR will drop back one step, get the pass and then try to out juke the defenders...

The only real long term gain is trying to get the CPU to play someone like Santana Moss too tight who you can use to eventutaly burn past them for a bomb...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »