Home

Is it time to retire the Madden franchise?

This is a discussion on Is it time to retire the Madden franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #25

OVR: 34
Re: Is it time to retire the Madden franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolini
Well, I have Madden for the PC and I think it is a pretty good game. I wish they would just stop trying to put additional gimmicks in each year and just take what they have (already) and perfect some of the issues we complain about each year.

I remember Earl Weaver Baseball and how they used to sell add on (or expansion) programs to enhance or expand the game.

I am grateful that EA still produces sports games for the PC. Something Take Two probably wouldn't do if they had exclusive rights to the NFL license
And I think that's what so many are trying to say, the game is going in one direction, and those that want a more true to football experience are saying, "no come this way..over here."

Also, very true about Take Two. So many act as if Take Two is this wholesome company that only makes games for the "hardcore" consumer. Their goal is the same as EA's. The two companies are very similiar because their goals are very similiar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 11

You don't retire a franchise that just scored $100 million in its first week. That's nuts. It's like suggesting that Toyota retire the Camry because you're personally bored with seeing them everywhere.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #27
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
You don't retire a franchise that just scored $100 million in its first week. That's nuts. It's like suggesting that Toyota retire the Camry because you're personally bored with seeing them everywhere.
More like, bored driving one.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #28
All Star

OVR: 21

I don't think it needs to be retired, it just needs to be taken in a new direction. Am I mistaken or is there a different lead director/programmer on the game every year? Perhaps having one person stay on as lead for 3-4yrs, have him implement HIS vision - whether right or wrong, would make for a less fractured game. If the total focus is going to be on eye candy, then go all in. If the focus is gameplay then go all in. Right now everything seems half-azzed and focused on how they can make the most money.

It's mind-boggling they never seem to want to improve the game across the board. Add Run to Daylight, don't add something to counter it. Add hitstick, don't add something to counter it. Add vision cone, don't add something to counter it. The game stays constantly out of balance because of their approach. Maybe getting one person in there to gradually implement their vision of what the game should be, instead of each lead placing his "stamp" on the game would be a better approach (if that's how they work)

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #29
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

When the franchise is selling gazillions of copies every year, there is no reason for them to rock the boat. While it is a solid title I think that EA has the resources to make it better if they really had to. It's just a bit of a bummer that in the current environment they don't really have to.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

This whole situation is really disheartening for football gamers.

Madden is so close to being a great football game but so very far. The fact that there will be no other options due to the exclusivity deal, the constant dumbing down of NFL football, the idiotic and counterproductive catering to the masses, the horrible anti-reality design decisions, etc...

The worst part is this; I strongly feel that if the focus of the Madden team was to make as realistic and genuine an NFL football expeience as possible, that the masses would appreciate that more than the patently comic-book-on-steroids and few-options Madden that we have today. EA needs to consider opportunity cost, and not underestimate the intelligence of the masses. The first week figure would be considerably more than 100 million if the core fans were all on board creating a groundswell of positive media buzz.

ARRGH!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #31
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy

Madden is so close to being a great football game but so very far. The fact that there will be no other options due to the exclusivity deal, the constant dumbing down of NFL football, the idiotic and counterproductive catering to the masses, the horrible anti-reality design decisions, etc...

The worst part is this; I strongly feel that if the focus of the Madden team was to make as realistic and genuine an NFL football expeience as possible, that the masses would appreciate that more than the patently comic-book-on-steroids and few-options Madden that we have today. EA needs to consider opportunity cost, and not underestimate the intelligence of the masses. The first week figure would be considerably more than 100 million if the core fans were all on board creating a groundswell of positive media buzz.

ARRGH!
I agree with you. The masses will buy the game anyways and some of the hard-core 2k5 and others who refuse to buy the game would actually take a second look and maybe end up purchasing the game. Oh what a happy ending to this fairy tale...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #32
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy

ARRGH!
Would these be the same masses that believe pro wrestling is real, drink Budweiser and made Adam Sandler a box office draw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.L. Mencken
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

Last edited by coogrfan; 09-06-2006 at 03:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »