Home

What is the progression problem?

This is a discussion on What is the progression problem? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: What is the progression problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utorde
That's what I do. I went into the coaching schemes for all teams and set Pass/Run to 50 and RB1/RB2 to 65. Now all the numbers are more realistic. Qbs pass around 30-35 times per game for less than 4,000 yards per season, before doing this they were passing over 5,000 yards per season or something crazy like that. The #1 RBs are rushing around 19-23 times per game, #2 RBs are rushing around 7-11 times per game. The most yards per season I have seen was right at 1,800 yards, everyone else is down around 1,400-1,500 yards.

Setting up the coaching schemes definitely takes care of a lot of things. I also believe that is why the defense is not regressing in my game the way everyone else states.
Utorde, how many seasons have you simmed?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

utroude,

When u control all teams in a Frachise, do you have to draft for each team? I tried this and I had to draft for each team. I did modify settings for each team to not sign from the free agents pool to ensure they didn't pick up HOFers.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

Another question guys. When you control all 32 teams do you have to draft for each respective team?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhennes
I like the sound of this... now, all I want to know is if this would turn out the same way with fatigue now in the system. Would I want to change the rb1/rb2 numbers now? Or have you already taken fatigue into account with these numbers?

Finally, aren't there some teams you'd want to give different pass/run ratings to? I.E. Pittsburgh running more etc.

No, you should be able to leave the RB1/RB2 numbers like I said. I did this testing before the patch even came out and the simmed games still subbed players, so undoubtedly fatigue has always worked in simmed games. And as far as Pass/Run goes, you may want to test it some yourself, but from what I saw teams with better QBs ended up with more passing yards and attempts and teams with better backs also had more yards per game and per season. But still, the attempts per game for rushing and passing were looking realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Utorde, how many seasons have you simmed?

Well, I only simmed the first season after making adjustments to the coaching schemes. I would then look at the stats then reload, adjust accordingly, and sim the first season again. I continued doing this until the stats looked right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils5000
utroude,

When u control all teams in a Frachise, do you have to draft for each team? I tried this and I had to draft for each team. I did modify settings for each team to not sign from the free agents pool to ensure they didn't pick up HOFers.

Is there something I'm missing?

I saw some other guys talking about controlling all 32 teams, that is why I started doing this, and according to them the other teams would do their own draft. I never actually went that far. I just simmed the first regular season over and over until the stats started looking right so I would know which settings to use in the coaching schemes. For the team I control I have everything set to User under Franchise Options, the other 31 teams under Franchise Options I have everything set to CPU, except for Free Agent Wire and Fill Roster, which is set to User. That keeps the other teams from signing all the Free Agents even though they don't need them. Going to keep it like that until after the Super Bowl, then I will set those 2 options to CPU as well. If I don't then they will not sign their Free Agents in the off-season. After that I may leave everything for them set to CPU. I just for sure want to keep them from doing stupid signings and trades the 1st season. Too, i'm going to save before the off-season and only control my team and then sim into the regular season to see if the coaching schemes stay set the way I set them. If they do that's good, if not I will continue to control all 32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Another question guys. When you control all 32 teams do you have to draft for each respective team?

I answered that above in this post. From what I understand if you have Draft set to CPU they should do their own draft. You may have to have all the Franchise Options for the other 31 teams set to CPU, which is what I will do when I get to that point.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 11

The thing is, the bad def progression (where it goes down) doesn't reportedly start showing up until 4 or 5 years in. If you control all teams, does it happen at that time? That's what I want to know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by utorde
No, you should be able to leave the RB1/RB2 numbers like I said. I did this testing before the patch even came out and the simmed games still subbed players, so undoubtedly fatigue has always worked in simmed games. And as far as Pass/Run goes, you may want to test it some yourself, but from what I saw teams with better QBs ended up with more passing yards and attempts and teams with better backs also had more yards per game and per season. But still, the attempts per game for rushing and passing were looking realistic.

Well, I only simmed the first season after making adjustments to the coaching schemes. I would then look at the stats then reload, adjust accordingly, and sim the first season again. I continued doing this until the stats looked right.

I saw some other guys talking about controlling all 32 teams, that is why I started doing this, and according to them the other teams would do their own draft. I never actually went that far. I just simmed the first regular season over and over until the stats started looking right so I would know which settings to use in the coaching schemes. For the team I control I have everything set to User under Franchise Options, the other 31 teams under Franchise Options I have everything set to CPU, except for Free Agent Wire and Fill Roster, which is set to User. That keeps the other teams from signing all the Free Agents even though they don't need them. Going to keep it like that until after the Super Bowl, then I will set those 2 options to CPU as well. If I don't then they will not sign their Free Agents in the off-season. After that I may leave everything for them set to CPU. I just for sure want to keep them from doing stupid signings and trades the 1st season. Too, i'm going to save before the off-season and only control my team and then sim into the regular season to see if the coaching schemes stay set the way I set them. If they do that's good, if not I will continue to control all 32.

I answered that above in this post. From what I understand if you have Draft set to CPU they should do their own draft. You may have to have all the Franchise Options for the other 31 teams set to CPU, which is what I will do when I get to that point.

Well that’s all fine and dandy, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that 4, 5, and 6 years down the road, the defenses get terrible and the offenses only get better and better with each passing year. Every year quarterback ratings have gone up and turnovers have gone down. Every year all defensive positions across the league have dropped considerably in progression.

The only teams that this doesn’t happen to are the teams that you play the games for. As a player you cause turnovers and have decent defensive games, which in turn affects your players’ progression positively.

I mean after four seasons there are six QB’s rated 99, and nineteen that are rated at least 90 or above. My RB, Adrian Peterson, is the 23rd best RB in the league, rated at an 89 overall. At the end of the season the league leader in INT, other than either of our two teams, was 8 INT. Keep in mind that’s with the double INT glitch. That means there were only 4 INT thrown by QB’s to that player.

You send in an earlier post that you aren't getting the problems with progression as everyone else is; well you haven't simulated more than one season. We aren't talking about problems in the first season, we are talking about seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

All you need to do to confirm this is simulate four seasons and look at the overall results each year of passing yards, rushing yards, turnovers, and so forth.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
The thing is, the bad def progression (where it goes down) doesn't reportedly start showing up until 4 or 5 years in. If you control all teams, does it happen at that time? That's what I want to know.
Yes, unless you play all of the games for all 32 teams.

I think the main contributer to the fact that the defense consistantly goes down in progression, is the amount of yards givin up, and the lack of turnovers caused in simulated games.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #24
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
I think the main contributer to the fact that the defense consistantly goes down in progression, is the amount of yards givin up, and the lack of turnovers caused in simulated games.

Exactly, and if you control all 32 teams at the beginning and setup the coaching schemes the way I said it drops down the yards given up. But I found a problem with controlling all 32 teams. I was told that the CPU would do their own drafting if you set those 31 teams' options to CPU, but it doesn't. So now there is a choice to make. Control all 32 teams so you can setup the coaching schemes to get realistic stats and just sim the draft, or only control your team so the CPU teams will do everything themselves but in return get the inflated stats which causes bad progression.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »