Home

What is the progression problem?

This is a discussion on What is the progression problem? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #25
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: What is the progression problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utorde
Exactly, and if you control all 32 teams at the beginning and setup the coaching schemes the way I said it drops down the yards given up. But I found a problem with controlling all 32 teams. I was told that the CPU would do their own drafting if you set those 31 teams' options to CPU, but it doesn't. So now there is a choice to make. Control all 32 teams so you can setup the coaching schemes to get realistic stats and just sim the draft, or only control your team so the CPU teams will do everything themselves but in return get the inflated stats which causes bad progression.
Very discouraging. It seems like it doesn't end with the problems in this game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #26
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
Well that’s all fine and dandy, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that 4, 5, and 6 years down the road, the defenses get terrible and the offenses only get better and better with each passing year. Every year quarterback ratings have gone up and turnovers have gone down. Every year all defensive positions across the league have dropped considerably in progression.

The only teams that this doesn’t happen to are the teams that you play the games for. As a player you cause turnovers and have decent defensive games, which in turn affects your players’ progression positively.

I mean after four seasons there are six QB’s rated 99, and nineteen that are rated at least 90 or above. My RB, Adrian Peterson, is the 23rd best RB in the league, rated at an 89 overall. At the end of the season the league leader in INT, other than either of our two teams, was 8 INT. Keep in mind that’s with the double INT glitch. That means there were only 4 INT thrown by QB’s to that player.

You send in an earlier post that you aren't getting the problems with progression as everyone else is; well you haven't simulated more than one season. We aren't talking about problems in the first season, we are talking about seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

All you need to do to confirm this is simulate four seasons and look at the overall results each year of passing yards, rushing yards, turnovers, and so forth.
I looked around the league and I do not see a mass drop in defensive attributes at all. There is a nice mix of +'s and -'s.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAbbitt
I looked around the league and I do not see a mass drop in defensive attributes at all. There is a nice mix of +'s and -'s.
Which years?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:39 PM   #28

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Yeah, I simmed through season one while controlling all teams and had to draft for all teams and it also pretty much disables the trading and trade block features since you are in the end still controlling all the teams. After this I simmed the first season and only controlled my team and didnt notice a huge increase in simulated stats, roster decisions were strange to say the least, havent conducted the draft yet but the biggest name FA on the market was TO and he wanted a bunch of money.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 6

Guys--some of us are talking in circles here. Once again: The progression problem doesn't begin until about the third year into franchise. So simming the first year will not show you anything if you're trying to test various options on how to fix the problem.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #30
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Guys--some of us are talking in circles here. Once again: The progression problem doesn't begin until about the third year into franchise. So simming the first year will not show you anything if you're trying to test various options on how to fix the problem.
I do not see what would happen in the third year to magically make the players stop progressing correctly. Progression goes in spurts (preseason, first 6 games, etc). What in that 30th or whatever spurt suddenly stops working?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #31
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Which years?
I am in the 10th week of season one, which means the players have progressed twice (preseason and weak six).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Thank you!! It's obvious some people are only half-reading the posts in this thread.

Any so-called tests or observations done prior to years 3 or 4 are not valid and irrelevant to this discussion regarding "the defensive progession problem".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »