Home

Are we at that time we will need 2 football games...?

This is a discussion on Are we at that time we will need 2 football games...? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Are we at that time we will need 2 football games...?

Everyone is going on about the market place issue and Im not here to rehash that. However it has got me to thinking about just how close we are to needing 2 football games to complete a season.

Yea, extra jerseys and stadiums are pure fluff and not required...but look at the FIFA franchise. They have 2 FiFa games. 1 you play the season, but have no world cup...the other you just play the tournament and try to get to the world cup. They deliberatly left out key components of the soccer season so they could resell the game again with the playoffs. This isnt a matter of $1-2$ for some needless items, but an extra $60. This could be pretty significant.

Even though soccer is the worlds most popular sport, Madden is the top selling sports game. What is to stop EA from releasing a football game that allows you to complete a season....but then require you to buy another game in order to continue to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. You may think this is far fetched, but they have already done it with soccer. With EA having the exclusive to football games, I can see this as a possibility.

Do you think that we could see this in the future? I believe its a possibility and Im scared of it. Just wanted to see others opinions on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Are we at that time we will need 2 football games...?

This was probably brought up during one of EA's board meetings. Corporations sole purpose is to make the most money with the least cost, and shareholders are the one's they must please, not consumers. If this strategy works for soccer, I won't be surprised if they would implement this strategy for football next year.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #3

OVR: 34

EA Sports in general needs to re-focus. NBA 2K7 is showing us what 2 NFL games would be like. It's a feature rich title with solid gameplay. NBA Live is a shallow pretty faced game with many problems.

I use those two games as an example of how the "word on the streets" about how great EA Sports titles are is beginning to lose ground.

For many years now EA Sports has counted on that word. They are going to have to start making better games or, in time, they will lose a large amount of money.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 15

I'll make a prediction, at the rate this is going we're not far off from EA selling "Madden The Season" and "Madden Playoff Edition".
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

Is this not unlike the 2K WS edition of baseball last year? Companies are out to make money anyway they can...it's your choice to buy or not....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

I'm not a soccer fan so didn't realize the distinction between the two versions. And there hasn't been outrage about it? It could be EA was able to get away with it since the World Cup is held every four years (?). Doubt they could bring out a new version every year. I have very little regard for EA but if they attempted that - well, that establishes a new low.

But doubt they would

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Q: Are we at that time we need 2 football games...?

A: Yes. One for the arcadey heads-up guys who also love superstar mode and another game for franchise people...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Rookie

irishnole007's Arena

OVR: 1

EA can get away with having two different games for FIFA, because international play is a lot different than the club soccer that is in the yearly editions. The yearly games have the international teams, but they don't have the World Cup because it only happens once every 4 years. There is no way in hell that EA could get away with having people pay ANY extra money for the playoffs and Superbowl, so if you are worrying about that I don't know what to tell you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »