Home

Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever?

This is a discussion on Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYConcepts
Madden's only negative to the longtime 2k fans who had to conform to it. Obviously there not going to like the game if they're use to something else. Especially if madden pretty much monopolized the football gaming market. Give em a couple years, 2k fans will come around. Atleast 2k still has the basketball games on lock.

Not true at all, but this has been beat to death.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 1

I will admit up front that I am a 2k fanboy since I prefer their products to that of any competitor and I was bitter about the exclusive license but after 6 months of shock therapy I was released back to society as being fully rehabilitated.

First to the handful of people who said that EA had to buy the exclusive rights for the NFL license. It has been widely reported that the NFL approached the game companies about acquiring the rights and EA either bided first or was the highest bidder. Anybody looking to make money would lock up the exclusive rights to a cash cow if they were offered those rights. It allows you to continue to milk that cash cow and prevents your competitors from taking your cash cow away from you while maybe generating new income.

Now for the game itself. While I do not like the game this year, I still enjoy playing because I just love football. My complaints with Madden are nothing new. The fact that offensive blockers don't prioritize well or that my offensive line is like swiss cheese compared to the oppositions. I still haven't been able to figure out why something hasn’t been developed to make the AI smarter and not making my wide open receivers drop balls that hit them in the chest. I do like how the game has developed with players now being unable to close on a 10 foot difference to make a pick or having an 8 foot vertical leap or a DL running down a RB. I purchased Madden 2005 and enjoyed it just not as much as NFL 2k5. I also played Madden 2006 for Xbox and enjoyed it though it seemed to have regressed from the 2005 version. I rented Madden 2006 for Xbox 360 and almost immediately returned it as I did not like the interface or the gameplay or the features missing from the Xbox version. I rented Madden 2007 for Xbox 360 and noticed that some of the flaws from last year had been corrected but it still was not up to par with Madden 2006 on Xbox. Sure the graphics are better but the important stuff is lacking. If there was more depth to the franchise mode, I would forgive the other problems. On thing I never thought I would miss but now do is commentary, I always though it was a waste of disk space but I miss it now. After having a good alternative choice for years, it's hard to enjoy a different game. The Maddens of the past 2 years have been fine but I would prefer a different approach to football.
> >
My biggest complaint is that EA kept saying Madden 2007 for Xbox 360 would be revolutionary, the damn of a new football gaming era. Outside of the graphics, the game is more evolutionary.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 10

I personally just thinks it's absurd that EA released Madden and NBA Live 07 for the 360 this year. I think they are relaxed and on cruise control just riding their brand name at this point. Some people said Madden commentary is repetative...I personally thought it added color to the game. I have never, I repeat, NEVER picked up an NBA game this time of year and have been more excited about it than I was about Madden. This poses a serious problem considering preseason for the NBA starts today. If need be, they need to wait and release the game a month or so later if it means they need to get things right. NBA Live may feel rushed to release their game to make sure they release the same time as NBA 2K but Madden has absolutely no excuse to rush their release since they are the monopoly. Bottom line, I think both games are ridiculous and I think the programmers and developers need to do like the New Orleans Saints fans used to do and wear masks and paper bags over their faces so that nobody will know who they are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYConcepts
Madden's only negative to the longtime 2k fans who had to conform to it. Obviously there not going to like the game if they're use to something else. Especially if madden pretty much monopolized the football gaming market. Give em a couple years, 2k fans will come around. Atleast 2k still has the basketball games on lock.
This is mostly nonsense. Out of all of the poeple who are trying justify the flaws in this game by saying "its just cool to hate on madden" or "You guys are just 2k fans" etc. No one has even tried to justify or even adress the flaws in the game

Do i realy have to be a 2k fan to have issue with the

CPU generated draft being broke
Linbackers from NCAA being nuetered,
lack of fatigue in all modes,
progression being broken,
lack of features in the franchise mode,
not being able to edit players,
the CPU teams poorly managing their teams,
the massive amounts of ints thrown by the CPU
No multi man tackling or gang tackling
No options for playbooks, et

And this list goes on. Really do i have to be a fanboy of 2k to request these things, ALL of witch are on the cheaper current gen version?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #77
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

I dont understand some of you

Madden 2006 was the most boring piece of crap because it was exactly the same gameplay since 2003.

Atleast 07 on 360 is fresh and new. Beats the hell out of madden 2007 for xbox which after 2 weeks feels like the same thing.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

>CPU generated draft being broke

Not an issue for me since I import from NCAA.

>Linbackers from NCAA being nuetered,

Haven't gotten deep enough to comment on this.

>lack of fatigue in all modes

The patch works fine for me. But this was an issue before the patch.

>progression being broken

Again, haven't gotten deep enough to comment. Some people say if you play all your games, the progression is fine. Hopefully that's true.

> lack of features in the franchise mode

I don't miss Owner mode, the Bruno show or the commentary. Newspapers would be nice, but not a huge deal to me.

>not being able to edit players

Agreed.

> the CPU teams poorly managing their teams

Could be better. It's not like 2K5 got this right either.

>the massive amounts of ints thrown by the CPU

No problem for me on All-Madden. And this was a signicantly bigger problem on 2K5. I liked 2K5, but the 5-6 picks I'd get per game ruined it for me.

>No multi man tackling or gang tackling

Agreed, they should be in there by now. But it's not a gamebreaker for me.

> No options for playbooks, etc.

I'd like an option for a custom playbook. But I can live with the playbooks in the game.

It's not perfect, but I still think this is the best Madden in years. Since 2001 at least. And it's the best football game, IMHO, since NCAA 2004.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #79
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

[quote=NYConcepts;2687858]Madden's only negative to the longtime 2k fans who had to conform to it. Obviously there not going to like the game if they're use to something else. /QUOTE]

Not really. Alot of the criticism has come from longtime fans of madden.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #80
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
I dont understand some of you

Madden 2006 was the most boring piece of crap because it was exactly the same gameplay since 2003.

Atleast 07 on 360 is fresh and new. Beats the hell out of madden 2007 for xbox which after 2 weeks feels like the same thing.
Sometimes the same thing isn't so bad. In this case, it beats the hell out of all the fresh new ideas that EA tried to implement. Let's see...Xbox version has accelerated clock, 360 version doesn't. Xbox version has all sorts of offensive and defensive playmaker controls, the 360 version doesn't. The Xbox version uses the same old boring break the huddle and walk to the line of scrimmage, the 360 version uses the cut scene walk up which you can get rid of with the press of a button and through the miracle of poor design decisions, you can warp to the line of scrimmage.

Finally, the Xbox version sports the same old tired graphics that we've seen for 3 years, while the 360 version sports amazing 1080i HDTV visuals.

Yep, that's about the only area the fresh new 360 version is better, while the same ol', same ol' Xbox version blows it away in every other category.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »