Home

Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever?

This is a discussion on Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #57
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Is this the most negative reaction to a madden ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Hah, and you don't think that's the case? It's the same reason people bash Kobe Bryant, USC Football, Tiger Woods, the NY Yankees, Duke basketball, and the NE Patriots. People in general love to bash whoever is on top. It's human nature, my friend.
Well something has to be wrong when there are longtime fans who are getting sick of madden and ea.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Well something has to be wrong when there are longtime fans who are getting sick of madden and ea.
I agree with you, jmood. But like we've already said, those longtime fans who are getting tired of Madden are the VOCAL MINORITY! I have PLENTY of friends who don't visit message boards, have never heard of websites like OS, MaddenNation, and MaddenPlanet, and they are perfectly content with this year's Madden.

I'm curious how long it's going to take for some of you to realize that you are only a small percentage of people who purchase Madden.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #59
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Hah, and you don't think that's the case? It's the same reason people bash Kobe Bryant, USC Football, Tiger Woods, the NY Yankees, Duke basketball, and the NE Patriots. People in general love to bash whoever is on top. It's human nature, my friend.
Last time I checked all of those people and teams won championships...EA hasn't.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #60
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I agree with you, jmood. But like we've already said, those longtime fans who are getting tired of Madden are the VOCAL MINORITY! I have PLENTY of friends who don't visit message boards, have never heard of websites like OS, MaddenNation, and MaddenPlanet, and they are perfectly content with this year's Madden.

I'm curious how long it's going to take for some of you to realize that you are only a small percentage of people who purchase Madden.
I'm not just talking about message boards. I also know people in real life who have given up on madden and other ea games.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #61
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I'm not just talking about message boards. I also know people in real life who have given up on madden and other ea games.
Me too... I don't think the "minority" is as negligable as TJ seems to think it is. The game is selling but the aura surrounding it has all but disappeared. And TJ, I'm not going to call this game bad, it's alright, but the best and most fun of the last 5-6 years? I don't know how anyone could say that considering how good 2005 was and how unpolished and in need of tweaking this game is compared to 2003-2006 (haven't played 2007 on current-gen). I would give the engine a B+ right now but with issues like the flakey fatigue, franchise progression, stupid game decisions like the forced walk-up cut scene, lack of an accelerated clock, the decision for on the field presentation which for a lot of people equates to almost non-existant presentation (really, it's a good idea, but I miss overlays and score updates from around the league being prominently shown), still nothing really done about making injuries more realistic, and the lack of a player editor. Those are all things I value since I'm a franchise guy and could never really get into the online aspect of things. I understand that sim guys aren't something EA cares about at all but a lot of those issues could have been addressed with what would seem to be minimal effort. Instead superstar mode was added, something I just have no interest in, and that makes the rest of the game seem like not enough was done when there was time to do it. Make a separate superstar game, I don't care, but in my eyes if there is only one football game it should be what every other sports game is - a way to crank through seasons as a specific team.

Edit - And they screwed up superstar mode too. Having to allocate points before every appearance on the field, having to watch all of your team's plays instead of being able to even more quickly bypass them, having to use that STUPID camera. Oh, and another thing, how freaking hard would it have been to include some camera options and presentation options. If a freaking toggle switch for cut scenes is too hard for EA why don't they just say so.

Last edited by ComfortablyLomb; 10-08-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

I can't lie... I love the football engine, and at times I feel like this plays better than any madden I've played.

However, personally, I feel the bugs, missing features, and lack of presentation kills it for me. There are sooooo many features in the current gen that I miss, and nobody can give me a proper explanation why they're not in a much more powerful next-gen product.

It's the little things that kill it for me such as the inability to edit who's playing in different formations, the horrible CPU AI in franchise mode (has never been great, but c'mon, let's see some improvement), the fact that not a single trick play exists, the complete lack of any distinction between a regular season game and a post-season game, including absolutely nothing if you were to win a superbowl. Now I'm not playing a franchise to see a 15-sec cutscene at the end, but still, how is there absolutely nothing?? Tecmo had something!!!!

In terms of physics and more importantly gang-tackling, I'm hopeful that some of the technology from the new Fifa game will be used to improve on this in the future.

I guess in the end I'm not thaaat dissapointed, but with all of the resources EA has, and with the enhanced power of the 360, I guess I just feel a little cheated as a consumer. 10 years ago when I was 15 all of these "mind-blowing graphics" , personalized cadence calls from QB's, signature running styles... these would be things that appeal to me. The older I get the more this stuff becomes fluff to cover up for real game-play issues.

Last edited by jjhennes; 10-08-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #63
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
I am with you jmood and I hear more and more of those statments from guys who have never heard of this or any other msg board. I hear Madden most often this year when I hear or see people trading it in while they can still get something for it.

It really is a shame. It is not because EA is "on top" I don't buy that - they are the only game to choose from so they are also technically, on bottom. Same thing happened with MLB2k5 - no one bashed it because it was "on top" - it got bashed because it had too many issues and was the only option on NextGen.

I just want good football.

Lack of competition leads to complacency. If no one is pushing someone to be better and that drive to be better can't come from within - they never get better.

THAT is human nature.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
Lack of competition leads to complacency. If no one is pushing someone to be better and that drive to be better can't come from within - they never get better.

THAT is human nature.
Amen... I feel like a guy who went to the video store to rent Godfather 2 or North by Northwest and all they have is Ernest Saves Christmas.

If we haven't all been directly negatively affected by a monopoly situation in our lifetimes, we have now. Where are all those guys who busted up the railroad monopolies and stuff.. bah!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »