Home

How much do football pads (and the ball) slow down the runner?

This is a discussion on How much do football pads (and the ball) slow down the runner? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
How much do football pads (and the ball) slow down the runner?

Does anyone know how much more slowly your 40 yard dash time would be if you were both wearing football pads and carrying a football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: How much do football pads (and the ball) slow down the runner?

I just contacted a reliable source and posed to him this question (his name is Ram209 on the forums... he's a slider and edit guy for 2k5, and a part-time football coach).

He said that you lose anywhere between .2 and .3 seconds (two tenths to three tenths of a second). He said .2 for sure, and .3 would be pushing it.

Hope that helps, bud.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysosa
I just contacted a reliable source and posed to him this question (his name is Ram209 on the forums... he's a slider and edit guy for 2k5, and a part-time football coach).

He said that you lose anywhere between .2 and .3 seconds (two tenths to three tenths of a second). He said .2 for sure, and .3 would be pushing it.

Hope that helps, bud.
Sounds about right. Some guys, can run faster than others with the pads on also, for whatever reason. Some guys run faster when the lights are on and the pressure is on.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Like BK said it is hard to tell. The reason I said @.2 is because we would actually do test with the pads on and off. But in "real" time as in sundays gamedays it is way to difficult to judge. Ronnie Lott had the best quote about 40 times and football speed, he was talking about Jerry Rice " Jerry runs a 4.6 on wednesday and a 4.2 on sundays"
Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Like BK said it is hard to tell. The reason I said @.2 is because we would actually do test with the pads on and off. But in "real" time as in sundays gamedays it is way to difficult to judge. Ronnie Lott had the best quote about 40 times and football speed, he was talking about Jerry Rice " Jerry runs a 4.6 on wednesday and a 4.2 on sundays"
I played with a kid in college who was a corner. He ran about a 4.7 when timed, but when the lights came on, and it was time to play for real, he locked down a lot of big time WR's who could really run. Some guys can't run well for time, and some guys are gamers. It goes the other way also. I have seen guys that run 4.3's with shorts on, and when they get on the field, they flat out play slow.

I think 40 times are about the most overrated way to measure a players speed and worth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 24

i have been asking people this for awhile now. Why don't they make people run their forty in full gear?? I know running forty speed and gametime speed are two different things, but why run in shorts for?? You ain't gonna play in shorts.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 25

Definetly agree about running faster when its gametime. I myself have noticed it during games. Also agree with the fact that 40's are overrated, and that if you are going to run a 40, wear full gear.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
i have been asking people this for awhile now. Why don't they make people run their forty in full gear?? I know running forty speed and gametime speed are two different things, but why run in shorts for?? You ain't gonna play in shorts.
Because, it's easier to time them in shorts. All of those camps, and combine things they have for kids now, are non-contact, they don't have to take all their gear with them.

Not to mention in the off-season most kids don't have access to their gear.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »