Home

Is franchise mode as we knew it gone forever?

This is a discussion on Is franchise mode as we knew it gone forever? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Is franchise mode as we knew it gone forever?

First, let me state my bias. I am (and have been for a while now) playing Madden on XBOX and love it. There are a couple of quirks (non-working IR, etc) but for the most part it is a solid game and the addition of player roles and the college all star game really are value added features. Franchise is where I spend most of my time and I love the depth it has. Util 360 catches up in that department, I'll be playing current gen for that reason.

So to my question. I realize current gen will end, maybe in as soon as one year. So 360 will be my only option for a new game. There have been a lot of thoughtful discussions on the board and two themes keep coming through: Marketplace is the way of games from here on out and EA is going to make money anyway they can through multiple offerings (PPV, etc) and will only respond to change if revenue is affected.

Obviously on the first theme, things now will come at a cost. A theory I heard was that roster updates will come at a fee in the future and that is why player editing was taken out. Maybe, maybe not but it seems to fit with what they are doing currently. This trend means that we will see less standard features and a larger amount of content in the marketplace.

On the second theme, how well did Head Coach do? I ask because if it continues to do well, that also is a nail in the coffin for making franchise as good or better than current gen because it will take away from HC sales. And so long as madden sells well and HC is at least remaining profitable, why change things?

So, what are your opinions on frnachise mode? Will Madden 360's franchise ever equal and surpass current gen? Or is that level of depth gone forever?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Is franchise mode as we knew it gone forever?

Head Coach sold like crap. Wouldn't worry about that second question. However your first concern is pretty much guaranteed to happen. We will one day look back at having to pay for alternate unis and remember the good ol' days. This is going to get very bad, very fast.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Is franchise mode as we knew it gone forever?

This is a good topic, as I love franchise mode, too.

I never heard of the editing a player/roster update rumor. But I can understand it, and that sucks because we need player editing--mostly to edit names and equipment among other things.

I don't know...part of me just thinks the franchise mode is lacking on the 360 because they chose not to devote any real time to it, not because they are trying to make extra money through the marketplace or anything. But again, I don't really know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »