Home

Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It?

This is a discussion on Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #9
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It?

I simulated year one of Madden with my Raiders and then imported an NCAA draft class. I remember I drafted Marshawn Lynch in round one and Chris Leak in round two. Lynch was an 84 overall and Leak a 77.

But, to my understanding, every import varies for certain players. The same draft class won't always provide the same ratings in different franchises. If I did another franchise and imported that same class, Lynch and Leak would most likely have different ratings. And I like it this way.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I understand what you guys are saying, but there's a difference between having opportunities on the field to succeed, and just being a bust...and simply not having attribute ratings imported correctly that limit your chance for success.

For example, Ryan Leaf wasn't a bust because you could equate his arm strength in college to a 95, but when he went into the Pro's it diminished. His accuracy didn't go down once he entered the NFL, either. He was a bust simply because he couldn't hack it. If anything, I'd think an awareness rating should/could diminish, showing off the possibility of a player being a bust. Or maybe a work ethnic attribute. Or in Leaf's case...a maturity attribute rating.

But, Reggie Bush coming from college to the NFL has the same exact skills as he always has. If he's a bust, it's not because of his measurables or combine numbers.

It seems to me, though, that if a guy is a "bust" from the NCAA draft class, it'll be because the ratings have gone down significantly. I do like that to an extent, guys should NOT be rated what they are in college. This is the NFL, and thus a higher level of competition. At the same point, if Calvin Johnson runs a 4.4 40 yard dash, his speed shouldn't be 82 when imported into Madden. That's not showing off him being possibly a bust...that just seems like a import glitch.
I definately see what you mean, but that's one of the things left in the hands of the AI and ultimately the makers of the game in the way you define it. Who knows if they'll address it further in future versions, but with the way it's set up now, you've obviously gotta look at all the numbers and "roll the dice" like some GMs do which does require some time. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

I needed a WR too in my Niners franchise, but wound up doing a bit better than expected (9-7, lost to Panthers in the wild card and had the 23rd overall pick) and missed out on Calvin Johnson so I took a chance on another need position. After looking at all the scouting numbers I settled on Alabama's Ramzee Robinson at CB, and it worked out because he wound up with an 83 overall. I got Steve Breaston (Mich.) in the 2nd round with a mid-70s. Not too bad for a first draft in my eyes.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

^You make good points. Well, I'll try importing the draft class and seeing what happens with some of the ratings.

Ironically, changing some of these jersey numbers in NCAA proves to be the most annoying thing, lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Rookie

kburns40's Arena

OVR: 1

I have started two seasons and I have drafted peterson twice and his rating the first time was a 92 ovr a 92 speed and a 99 trucking. the second time I drafted him he was a 94 ovr a 92 speed and a 99 trucking. Most of all the other ratings were in the 90's also. He is pretty much a stud in the game. I signed him with my first pick and I wanted to give me a 7 year deal and I had to pay him something like 107 mil it was well over 100 mill and I was so blinded by what the overall salary he was asking for that I didnt even look at the bonus. For me the ratings seem good.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburns40
I have started two seasons and I have drafted peterson twice and his rating the first time was a 92 ovr a 92 speed and a 99 trucking. the second time I drafted him he was a 94 ovr a 92 speed and a 99 trucking. Most of all the other ratings were in the 90's also. He is pretty much a stud in the game. I signed him with my first pick and I wanted to give me a 7 year deal and I had to pay him something like 107 mil it was well over 100 mill and I was so blinded by what the overall salary he was asking for that I didnt even look at the bonus. For me the ratings seem good.
Same thing in my game. I drafted Brady Quinn 1st overall and he had a rating of 84, the Lions then drafted Peterson who had a rating of 90...I also had the third pick of the draft and chose Steve Smith out of USC (Calvin Johnson for whatever reason was not in my draft...), who had a rating of 85. The draft seems good in my eyes.

The only issue I might have is that you can get value from picks one through seven if you pay attention to college ball....
Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

The Texans took Brady Quinn with the No. 1 overall pick in my franchise and traded up for another pick in the first round and got Adrian Peterson. That was definately a moment when I saw it.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #15
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Hey guys...two questions...

1) I have heard people complain that block shedding with the DE's and LB's in the game can be very low...causing the DE's and LB's to be less effective that if you use the generated draft. Has this been the case with you all?

2) I am playing in my second season of franchise mode. If I used the generated rookies for the first draft, will I still be allowed to use the 2007 draft class from NCAA (with guys like Peterson, Quinn, Johnson, etc), even though I would plan to import them into the 2008 draft in my franchise?

I'm just not sure if the game is programmed to have draft classes imported in the EXACT year...or if that doesn't matter whatsoever.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000

2) I am playing in my second season of franchise mode. If I used the generated rookies for the first draft, will I still be allowed to use the 2007 draft class from NCAA (with guys like Peterson, Quinn, Johnson, etc), even though I would plan to import them into the 2008 draft in my franchise?

I'm just not sure if the game is programmed to have draft classes imported in the EXACT year...or if that doesn't matter whatsoever.
I remember in current gen last year it allowed you to choose any saved draft class for any draft year when you imported. I remember using the 07 draft class for the 06 draft once while I was testing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »