Home

Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It?

This is a discussion on Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It?

I have heard that a way to fix the DE glitch with the generated players is to import the NCAA draft classes. And I have the NCAA game.

I also figure that with this glitch, teams aren't drafting for need, but rather stockpiling DE's. So, teams aren't necessarily getting better and creating competition necessarily.

But, with the draft classes, I have heard mixed things, too. Jersey numbers don't translate into NFL numbers in Madden, great college players like Peteron or Calvin Johnson will run a 40 yard dash in the 4.4 range, but their speed will be 79 or 82 or something low. I've heard good players in college getting drafted in very late rounds, and coming out with poor OVR ratings.

I've also heard DE's and LB's have terrible blocking shedding--in the 50's. So, they DE's and LB's are much more less effective than the generated class.

All this has made me think it's not worth it. I'm not a HUGE college football fan, so I'm less interested in playing with the real college players so much as I'm just trying to find a possible solution to the draft glitch.

For people who maybe do, or have done, the draft class imports...what is your opinion of it regarding all the issues I've mentioned above?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Is Importing the NCAA Draft Class Not Even Worth It?

its better to draft from ncaa bc it gives u a wide variety rather than DE's... as far as the #'s not translating just pretend its b4 they made the rule change for position specific #'s but yes its worth having a NCAA draft class... in my opinon.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OK...but what about the ratings changing once imported?

Is Adrian Peterson really going to have a speed of 82? An OVR of 79, etc?

I mean, I cannot see their ratings BEFORE the draft...and waiting till after the draft will takes long...I'd hate to do the draft for 30 minutes, and then realize afterwards that my rookies ratings are much worse than I expected.

One more thing...what has been your experience with LB's and DE's? Are they not as effective due to block shedding ratings?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I'd hate to do the draft for 30 minutes, and then realize afterwards that my rookies ratings are much worse than I expected.
So do real NFL GM's....but it happens. Think the real life Chargers knew they were getting a 65 rated QB when they drafted Ryan Leaf?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
So do real NFL GM's....but it happens. Think the real life Chargers knew they were getting a 65 rated QB when they drafted Ryan Leaf?
Yeah, really. Some people may hate that but it's actually one thing I've always liked about the draft classes in Madden generally. Scouting numbers don't always tell the real story in real life and it's cool that they don't neccesarily in the game, either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8

Imported draft classes have always been a bit random. In a previous Madden I drafted Julius Peppers, Bryant McKinnie, and Joey Harrnington (when all three were dominant NCAA players) in rounds 1-3. This years Madden is nothing new. You cannot draft based on real life names, instead you have to look into the players yourself IN Madden.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsv771
Yeah, really. Some people may hate that but it's actually one thing I've always liked about the draft classes in Madden generally. Scouting numbers don't always tell the real story in real life and it's cool that they don't neccesarily in the game, either.
I understand what you guys are saying, but there's a difference between having opportunities on the field to succeed, and just being a bust...and simply not having attribute ratings imported correctly that limit your chance for success.

For example, Ryan Leaf wasn't a bust because you could equate his arm strength in college to a 95, but when he went into the Pro's it diminished. His accuracy didn't go down once he entered the NFL, either. He was a bust simply because he couldn't hack it. If anything, I'd think an awareness rating should/could diminish, showing off the possibility of a player being a bust. Or maybe a work ethnic attribute. Or in Leaf's case...a maturity attribute rating.

But, Reggie Bush coming from college to the NFL has the same exact skills as he always has. If he's a bust, it's not because of his measurables or combine numbers.

It seems to me, though, that if a guy is a "bust" from the NCAA draft class, it'll be because the ratings have gone down significantly. I do like that to an extent, guys should NOT be rated what they are in college. This is the NFL, and thus a higher level of competition. At the same point, if Calvin Johnson runs a 4.4 40 yard dash, his speed shouldn't be 82 when imported into Madden. That's not showing off him being possibly a bust...that just seems like a import glitch.

Last edited by PacMan3000; 10-14-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Video games generally lack intangibles, thus the reliance on ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »