Home

Madden PS3 Features on IGN

This is a discussion on Madden PS3 Features on IGN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #33
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Madden PS3 Features on IGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
Okay then guess what? EA should put out a patch to correct all the issues, which include gang tackling for the 360 version. If they don't, it's like they're saying F**k the 360 owners. And they had better not charge for it either. And I wish that people would just stop being apologist for EA.
Not gonna happen my man, get over it already. Next year the games will be identical as they'll have the same amount of development time and release on the same date.

If what they're seeing in the PS3 footage vid is considerend "gang tackling" you're not missing much. If you have to debate as to whether or not it actually is gang tackling, it can't be all that impressive. Know what I'm sayin'?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
Okay then guess what? EA should put out a patch to correct all the issues, which include gang tackling for the 360 version.
Impossible for any developer to do. To fix an in motion graphical/game engine issue such as gang tackling they'd need to redo a lot of code and logic on the DVD. Unless they issue all new DVD's to people, it's impossible to do.

It's not being an EA apologist. It's realizing what goes into coding a game. IMO EA developed for the 360, ported to the PS3 and fixed/added some things. Why it wasn't in the 360 version to begin with is anyone's guess. Maybe it was time, maybe it was a difficult thing to develop on the 360, maybe it was laziness etc... It doesn't matter at this point.

Last edited by mjb2124; 10-19-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #35
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I'll be amazed if this "gang tackling" is little more than a few new pre-determined tackle animations that branch into other pre-determined tackle animations based on the location of a second defender, like how ESPN 2K4/5 did it. If it was real physics based I think we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

It's probably not much more advanced than what's already there, at least in the PC version. Sometimes you see "tap A to break tackle" animations that have the ball carrier and tackler struggling with each other, and another defender can come in and finish the tackle, albiet while knocking the original defender out of the animation like he was thrown out of a cartoon style fight. You can do hit sticks to these struggling ball carriers too. I'd warrant a bet it isn't much more advanced than this - maybe instead of making the original defender spit out of the animation when another defender comes, they've added a few two man tackles or something, not to mention they probably added a whole heap more 'struggling' tackles.

The end product could be just as powerful as ESPN's which would be a refreshing change over the Madden tackling system, but i'm not going to be satisfied until real time physics drives Madden. Imagine a football game where each player model has a fully featured human skeleton and muscle system, and it could detect when a bone or muscle is broken or stressed based on the physics engine it is assigned to. Or a game where jersey's are actually cloth material, that can be ripped, and used to as a last resort to drag a player down. Imagine a game where instead of pre-determined catch and swat animations, players tracked their free moving arms and hands to the ball - that would enhance DB coverage big time right there as a lot of coverage issues come down to poor animation choice. All this stuff is possible right now, it just needs someone or some company dedicated and skilled enough to do it.

Last edited by Nza; 10-19-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #36
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
but i'm not going to be satisfied until real time physics drives Madden. Imagine a football game where each player model has a fully featured human skeleton and muscle system, and it could detect when a bone or muscle is broken or stressed based on the physics engine it is assigned to. Or a game where jersey's are actually cloth material, that can be ripped, and used to as a last resort to drag a player down. Imagine a game where instead of pre-determined catch and swat animations, players tracked their free moving arms and hands to the ball - that would enhance DB coverage big time right there as a lot of coverage issues come down to poor animation choice. All this stuff is possible right now, it just needs someone or some company dedicated and skilled enough to do it.
It about a publisher being willing to invest the money into R and D, because, and I hate to say this, but the football gaming market may be a largely a fixed demographic. In other genres a new game can come along and bring in a whole lot of new gamers as well as capture the long time players.

Is it possible for a sport game, even one considered revolutionary and a certified masterpiece, to bring in enough new players to offset the cost of introducing the new physics engine and A.I. programs that would take these games to another level?

Publishers and developers are obviously asking themselves this question, and I'm concerned that they think the answer is NO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Or maybe it's because ea has been saying that they have gang tackling in just about every year. Tiburon either doesn't know what a real gang tackle is or they're lying, probably a little bit of both.

Bingo.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thumbs down Re: Madden PS3 Features on IGN

Gamevideos.com has posted a recent video of the Monday night game of the Bears v. Cards....the video did not have one gang tackle in it what so ever....EA with their lies all over again im done with them...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #39
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beserk1
Gamevideos.com has posted a recent video of the Monday night game of the Bears v. Cards....the video did not have one gang tackle in it what so ever....EA with their lies all over again im done with them...
It did, right at the 1:00 minute mark. You can read about it in the thread for that video.

I will throw in, however, how sad it is that there is one gang tackle in a six minute video...

Old 10-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 12

There won't be gang tackling. Just my opinion. Nothing but the scripted crap we've seen already maybe a couple new pre-scripted ones thrown in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »