Home

Madden PS3 Features on IGN

This is a discussion on Madden PS3 Features on IGN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #41
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Madden PS3 Features on IGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It about a publisher being willing to invest the money into R and D, because, and I hate to say this, but the football gaming market may be a largely a fixed demographic. In other genres a new game can come along and bring in a whole lot of new gamers as well as capture the long time players.

Is it possible for a sport game, even one considered revolutionary and a certified masterpiece, to bring in enough new players to offset the cost of introducing the new physics engine and A.I. programs that would take these games to another level?

Publishers and developers are obviously asking themselves this question, and I'm concerned that they think the answer is NO.
This is why competition is so important for sports genres - because a lot of their user base only play sports games, or at least mainly play sports games, so competition is more or less the only source of pressure. It's a completely different market to normal gaming. Even if you have the only MMOFPS game in existence, you're still competing with every game your main user base might also like to play, because people can only play one game at a time. For a MMOFPS, that's probably anything in RTS, FPS and RPG genres. People aren't going to play your crappy FPS because it's the only one that allows hundreds of gamers to play it online at once - it still needs to be a very good game to succeed, because people will make do elsewhere.

EA can claim they're not going to relax with the license all they want, but even if they are running at 110%, it is still going to be a bastardized market for the gamer because there is never a case where no competition is leaving the people better off. If EA work just as hard all alone as they do under pressure - that's great for them - but for the gamer, it still eliminates choice, not to mention that if EA are running at 110%, then competition would need to run at 111% or better to compete.

Which leads me to my final thought - you'll see it in the next gen soccer games, and probably any other sports genre with competition as well - if the NFL license was not exclusive, right now we'd be playing in real physics engines or at least far more advanced than what we see with Madden 360. I'm 100% convinced of this. The reason i'm convinced of this is because, when you have a console launch, it almost reverses the effect that I mentioned above - all the other genres aren't really directly competing with each other, because people will buy RPG's and FPS's etc just because they're launch titles and there's not much available at the time, but if you launch with two NFL games, the market is as competitive as ever, if not far more competitive as first impressions are important to build your userbase on the next console. IMO, this means both 2K and EA would have needed to make very advanced engines - maybe not to sell the game now, but to make sure the game will still be competitive for years to come. At least, 2K would have needed a very impressive engine to wow people, while EA would have either followed suite, or gone at their own pace like they are with Madden 360 now, relying on their brand name to sell. Even if EA did the latter, at least we'd have one company trying.

Last edited by Nza; 10-20-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #42
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
but i'm not going to be satisfied until real time physics drives Madden. Imagine a football game where each player model has a fully featured human skeleton and muscle system, and it could detect when a bone or muscle is broken or stressed based on the physics engine it is assigned to. Or a game where jersey's are actually cloth material, that can be ripped, and used to as a last resort to drag a player down. Imagine a game where instead of pre-determined catch and swat animations, players tracked their free moving arms and hands to the ball - that would enhance DB coverage big time right there as a lot of coverage issues come down to poor animation choice. All this stuff is possible right now, it just needs someone or some company dedicated and skilled enough to do it.
This sounds really great, but is this truly realistic even in Next-gen? And I'm not trying to rain on the parade--I just truly don't know. Does anyone?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #43
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Why not? Physics based engines have been around for a few years now. I don't see why a physics engine couldn't be told to calculate when certain objects like bones and muscles are stressed beyond design.

And the uniform being its own physical entity, and the arms tracking to the balls instead of preset catch/swat animations concepts are nothing new to gaming.

Wait until you see what LucasArts have in store with their next gen games and you'll understand what next gen engines are meant to be like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »