Home

Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article

This is a discussion on Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article re: gang tackling

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/m...ml?sid=6160085

Quote:
Physics-based gang tackles are an important addition as well--if a ball carrier is hit low, his body will turn one way; when he's hit by a second defender high, he will buckle in an entirely new direction.
Hmm. What do you guys make of this? That sure doesn't sound like the current gen editions "gang tackling" (i.e. a canned animation of two guys hitting the ballcarrier at the same instant).

Last edited by coogrfan; 10-20-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

Hmm. What do you guys make of this? That sure doesn't sound like the current gen editions "gang tackling" (i.e. a canned animation of two guys hitting the ballcarrier at the same instant).

They have show us the action!! IMO the can't keep talking about it.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
They have show us the action!! IMO the can't keep talking about it.
I agree. It's good they seem to have added something, but the quote noted seems to be nothing all that different than what 2K was doing 3 years ago. For the Tiburon team it would be a step up, but they shouldn't pull a muscle patting themselves on the back for something they should have been doing years ago.

Also, I think if they're simply focusing on gang tackling they're missing the bigger issue (which wouldn't surprise me). Players need to interact better - period. Running into your own player should produce some sort of action, be it a stumble or slowdown of some sort. Lineman should be able to double-team pash rushers, not simply occupy a space that others are unable to penetrate. DBs should have more to do than simply stand in the way of a WR. Player interaction is important to pretty much every facet of the gameplay and it's an area Tiburon simply doesn't have the game up to standard, let alone exceeded that standard.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article re: gang tackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

Until they show videos of this "supposed" gang tackling in the game, I doesnt hold one ounce of water with me.

In regards to madden, EA can talk alot of noise, produce some very nice CG trailers of how the game is going to be, and release garbage that doesnt come even remotely close to what they had shown or talked about.

There is already a video of the ps3 version of madden up. No where in it does it show any form of gang tackling. The one instance that everyone points out at the 1 min mark or so is nothing more than a scripted animation like current gen.

Some will argue that it is an early build of the game shown, but lets not forget the last 2 years of released videos that supposedly were alpha or beta videos, yet when the game was released it was identical to what was shown in the videos in the first place.

Im very skeptical, and have good reason to be. If they do pull of gang tackling ( true gang tackling ala 2k ) then Ill be impressed. Until then, its just smoke and mirrors trying to hype the game.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Interesting quote from Gamespot Madden PS3 article re: gang tackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Until they show videos of this "supposed" gang tackling in the game, I doesnt hold one ounce of water with me.

In regards to madden, EA can talk alot of noise, produce some very nice CG trailers of how the game is going to be, and release garbage that doesnt come even remotely close to what they had shown or talked about.

There is already a video of the ps3 version of madden up. No where in it does it show any form of gang tackling. The one instance that everyone points out at the 1 min mark or so is nothing more than a scripted animation like current gen.

Some will argue that it is an early build of the game shown, but lets not forget the last 2 years of released videos that supposedly were alpha or beta videos, yet when the game was released it was identical to what was shown in the videos in the first place.

Im very skeptical, and have good reason to be. If they do pull of gang tackling ( true gang tackling ala 2k ) then Ill be impressed. Until then, its just smoke and mirrors trying to hype the game.

Agreed.

And I'm sorry, but anyone who believes there is true gang tackling in the PS3 version is a fool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

If I read somewhere that EA said "water is wet"........... I would have to see for myself before I bought into it. It is obvious that they will say anything in an effort to promote themselves, be it true, or exaggerated.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I agree. It's good they seem to have added something, but the quote noted seems to be nothing all that different than what 2K was doing 3 years ago. For the Tiburon team it would be a step up, but they shouldn't pull a muscle patting themselves on the back for something they should have been doing years ago.
If it is based on physics like this claims, then it would be more advaced than 2K's - the basic concept of a physics engine is, you never see the exact same animation twice, or probably more realistically, even if you saw the same animation twice, chances are the time inbetween them was so great you don't remember seeing it before. 2K's tackling model was great for its time (and even for now if you look at EA's standards), but it wasn't physics based, there was just a much larger library of tackles with far more specific triggers, carefully crafted together to flow well. Any tackle outcome in 2K had the potential to occur exactly the same as before on the next tackle.

Not trying to be picky, I just think it's important to emhpasis what a physics engine really is, because I have a feeling EA are hoping most people don't know.

Luckily, there is a very easy way for any gamer to tell when you're dealing with real physics - almost always the press releases and feature lists mention something along the lines of "Never see the exact same animation twice!". It is a very common way to promote a physics engine in a game, and if EA avoid this with the PS3 and future versions, I think it's safe to say real physics not being truely implemented is the reason why. For reference, they have already claimed this for FIFA 07 360 using almost those exact words I believe.

Last edited by Nza; 10-20-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

Also, I think if they're simply focusing on gang tackling they're missing the bigger issue (which wouldn't surprise me). Players need to interact better - period. Running into your own player should produce some sort of action, be it a stumble or slowdown of some sort. Lineman should be able to double-team pash rushers, not simply occupy a space that others are unable to penetrate. DBs should have more to do than simply stand in the way of a WR. Player interaction is important to pretty much every facet of the gameplay and it's an area Tiburon simply doesn't have the game up to standard, let alone exceeded that standard.
I couldn't have said it better. interaction between players is what has always ruined madden for me. I wish they would implent a realistic interaction system. I also hope they had the cut physics like 2K had. When A HB would switch directions, it actually looked like he planted his feet and exploded the other way. With all the improvements they said they made at the HB position, why do they still mario run? I loved how in 2K the HB would place their hand on the O-lines back or they would try turn side ways to get through a tight spot. Madden needs to fine tune the small things and work its way up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »