Home

Defending the Vickers and the Deep Ball

This is a discussion on Defending the Vickers and the Deep Ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Defending the Vickers and the Deep Ball

Okay, so I fancy myself a pretty good online Madden player. I'm anti-cheese and I usually shut cheesers down in a heartbeat. As soon as a "Vicker" (as I call them) starts to roll out to exploit the AI, I adjust my defense and soon start racking up the turnovers.

A caveat though.

Lately, I've had some trouble with the better Vickers as they use that exploit. I'm now searching for the perfect defensive formation/play + pre-snap adjustments to shut this type of cheese down. Any suggestions?

Also, I was playing a great game against a guy using the Colts and no matter what defensive adjustments I made, he constantly threw bombs that burned the secondary. What's the best way (play call + pre-snap adjustments + in game play) to shut this down?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Defending the Vickers and the Deep Ball

"Vickers" huh?

pretty clever there
Old 10-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
JVG
Rookie

OVR: 3

I play the Falcons online last nite and at first dude was staying in the pocket and whatnot. I stopped him on his first drive, then I scored. Soon after dude was rolling out of the pocket throwing to his receivers at the last second. So what I soon started doing was blitzing and bumping the receivers making it hard for him to find an open receiver. I also used qb contain from the nickle package so dude wouldnt have a wide open running lane. You just have to pick the the right defensive plays at the right time. And as for the long bombs, if you're not blitzing, put your secondary in a good position in order not to get burned.

NBA: Los Angeles Clippers

NFL: San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

I just start picking CB blitzes if they start rolling out with Vick. I love it because most of the time they run right into the blitz because they don't see it coming.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

most vick users roll left to throw right, send heat left, have both safteys deep, and watch the TE or HB coming outta the backfield w/a linebacker or DT(if hes decently fast 65+)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Stopping the roll out is not too hard, as long as you have fast DE. I use the Pathers so Peppers can flush Vick out, while the QB spy can contain him. As long as you pick a cover 2 man and drop the coverage back, the DB's will do a great job covering the deep bomb. The only thing I hate about this year is that since you have to have someone over the top in every bomb situation, it leaves the middle open since on crossing routes the DB's get picked non stop.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Good comments so far, but how about getting even more specific.

How about suggesting teams, formations, specific plays, and pre-snap adjustments used?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
rrr
Rookie

using fast teams can beat the falcons.(broncos, eagles, redskins)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »