Home

When did EA jump the shark?

This is a discussion on When did EA jump the shark? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12
Icon3 When did EA jump the shark?

I couldn't think of a location to post this, becase it kind of encompasses all of the EA Sports world. So I figured since Madden is their flagship franchise and lightning rod for most of the criticism toward EA I'd post the question here.

It seems like the the time is ripe to discuss this question "When did EA jump the shark?" because of the latest (of many) debacles with their sports division's products. There has been a subtle, yet progressive slide in attitude/opinion toward EA of late, but it would be interesting to see when each of you feel the exact point was when EA jumped the shark...

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "Jump the Shark", go here, read and then chime in if you wish...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/jump_the_shark
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: When did EA jump the shark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
I couldn't think of a location to post this, becase it kind of encompasses all of the EA Sports world. So I figured since Madden is their flagship franchise and lightning rod for most of the criticism toward EA I'd post the question here.

It seems like the the time is ripe to discuss this question "When did EA jump the shark?" because of the latest (of many) debacles with their sports division's products. There has been a subtle, yet progressive slide in attitude/opinion toward EA of late, but it would be interesting to see when each of you feel the exact point was when EA jumped the shark...

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "Jump the Shark", go here, read and then chime in if you wish...
EA jumped the shark when ESPN NFL 2K4 came out; it was an incredibly progressive football game with awesome presentation, graphics and ESPN integration. You'd think this would spur EA on to do some work on those areas for the following year, but they didn't. Madden 2005 came out, and it was the same old dull presentation and crummy player models they had been using for years.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

You mean, when did they turn to the dark side? I've always felt like they have been a little arrogant. Back to the days, and correct me if I am wrong, when they wouldn't immediately develop for the Dreamcast. They have also have a problem of saying there are certain features in their games before release and then when the game is released the feature is not there. I can give examples of this but I am sure most everyone on this board knows what I am talking about. Now with the non-appearance of jerseys and the possiblity of charging for them, the exclusive football licenses, not allowing sites to review their games before release date (NBA LIVE), etc....well the beat goes on. As the old saying goes.....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krules
EA jumped the shark when ESPN NFL 2K4 came out; it was an incredibly progressive football game with awesome presentation, graphics and ESPN integration. You'd think this would spur EA on to do some work on those areas for the following year, but they didn't. Madden 2005 came out, and it was the same old dull presentation and crummy player models they had been using for years.
Exactly the same time it happened for me with regards to Madden. I really liked Madden '03 and played it a ton but 2K4 was one of my favourite football titles of all time and Madden just seemed terribly flawed afterwards with the truly awful presentation a big part of that.

That said, I love NCAA '06 and '07. I hadn't even tried NCAA before since I was an NFL fan and the game wasn't sold in Canada. I ordered '06 online and loved it. I had just as much fun with that game as I had with 2K4. They haven't jumped the shark in NCAA which features much better presentation than Madden imo.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think it started with March Madness '02 or '03 can't remember, but I do remember thinking how lame it was that there wasn't even a season mode when there was in previous versions of the game. I was one of the idiots that bought the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

I don't think it is really fair to clump all of the EA Sports line-up into "Jump the Shark"

If you look at some of their other franchises look at MVP, NBA Live(yes I know some don't like the new version but they try to improve each year.) Nascar as well as NCAA most years.
If you want to say that Madden just punts the game each year the past 3 years then I would agree. But I hate when people group games by the company like they have stock in the company, I play games that are fun and enjoying for me to play.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckhoss29
I don't think it is really fair to clump all of the EA Sports line-up into "Jump the Shark"

If you look at some of their other franchises look at MVP, NBA Live(yes I know some don't like the new version but they try to improve each year.) Nascar as well as NCAA most years.
If you want to say that Madden just punts the game each year the past 3 years then I would agree. But I hate when people group games by the company like they have stock in the company, I play games that are fun and enjoying for me to play.
Just saying that the impressions of EA have fallen over the years to, what I believe to be, an all time low. That being said when do you think "the company" had a turning point? At that point you begin to ask was a particular game or group of games, or was it an attitude shift that you perceived that they had toward the consumer?

That's all I'm saying...

Discuss.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

I think Madden jumped the shark with the move to next gen on the 360. I played Madden religiously every year for years but neither Madden 06 and 07 for the 360 has held my interest for more than a few weeks. I've barely touched it since NBA 2K7 was released.

It seems to me that there have been some poor design decisions, some features that haven't been implemented well (or at all), and a real lack of quality control. I don't know if it's because of arrogance or just that EA bit off more than it could chew in deciding to build Madden and NBA Live from scratch for next gen systems. 2K Sports ported over what was essentially the same game in NBA 2K6 and then fine tuned it for NBA 2K7 and the result has been far superior gameplay than anything EA has produced so far in its next gen sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »