Home

Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
They need to add QB accuracy for short(0-10 yards), medium (10-25) and long(25+). A QB accuracy of"97" should not be that good when throwing deep balls!! Defensive guys should also have a zone coverage rating and and a man-to-man rating. Multiple penalties. on a play. Why someone can be offsides and drill your QB and only get flagged for 5 yard offside is beyond me. That is all for now.
They already have a zone and man-to-man rating.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #34
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

1. Deeper, More Immersive Franchise Mode

I love franchise mode. As fun as it is to play against a live opponent, or how different other modes like Superstar mode are, nothing beats being able to take my favorite team and help improve them over multiple seasons.

However, in Madden 07', I feel very disconnected in franchise mode. I want to personally feel more connected to other teams within the league. And the league needs to feel ALIVE. Here are some ideas to improve it.

A) Make the draft an EVENT. Right now, it's essentially just pushing buttons and text boxes popping up. Let's see (or hear) the ESPN crew actually AT the NFL draft. Let's hear their comments on player selections. Since EA has the NCAA license, I would also love it if they could implement college player highlights when players are selected. So, if I select Joe Blow from Ohio State, let's see two or three highlights of him running around in an OSU uniform making plays. Let's also have a voice actor impersonate the commissioner, and announce the players being selected.

B) Bring back the newspapers and radio show. This, again, helps one feel more connected to not only their team, but other teams around the league.

C) Add highlights and maybe a show like NFL Live. This will help the gamers also become more familiar with drafted players as years go along.

D) Add player photos to the drafted players instead of a helmet. This would just help identify the players better instead of making them feel less real. NCAA for the 360 is nice in this regard, as the player faces almost look real.

E) More player specific personalities. I want to see quiet guys like Tomlinson hand the ball to the ref without a fuss, while other guys like Chad Johnson always celebrate. Conversely, off the field in franchise mode, I want player personalities to become an issue, too. So, if Jeremy Shockey is becoming a distraction, go into more depth about it. Have ESPN personalities discuss it. Again, make the league feel ALIVE. Maybe the gamer reads something that states coach Tom Coughlin has benched or suspended Shockey due to his actions. Maybe this eventually festers and causes rumors around the NFL that Shockey wants out of NY. Maybe at the end of that season, Shockey is surprisngly on the trade block.

2. Add TV Style Presentation

I made a post on here a month or two back stating that the graphics in this game are simply too good NOT to have TV style presentation. I stand by those statements. TV style presentation allows for the gamer to see more detail on the players--i.e, closer shots of player in pre/post snap.

It also gives the game more credibility. When I play a NFL game, I want it to feel like I am playing the games that I watch on TV. TV style presentation helps this. Give us more cut scenes of players on the sideline, and, especially, players ON THE FIELD. I love the detail of the stadiums, but I can only see the ketchup bottle at Heinz field SO many times. I would much rather see an upset Steve Smith trotting back disgruntled after an overthrow by Delhomme. Or teammates on the sidelines cheering a player after a great play. And please incorporate the fans in the stands. Let's see memebers of the Dawg Pound, black hole, etc. And have a diverse amount of cut scenes as well. That would be great.

3. Better Tackling.

The tackling is much improved over what it was years ago. With that said, there still are things that need to be fixed. Don't just add things, but remove certain tackles, too. Please get rid of the "jump into the back of a player, don't really make contact with him but he falls down and is tackled" animation. It's not real football and visually looks terrible when everything else looks so good. Give us more real wrap up tackles. Give us gang tackles where two and three players are attacking the ball carrier.

4. Atmosphere

The atmosphere during the post-season needs to be amped up much more. There should be specific cutscenes and commentary, even. There should be different celebrations. It should be a big deal. And when the Superbowl is won, a great celebration by the players, coaches, media, etc needs to be given to the gamer.

Atmosphere in general needs to be improved. Again, make the league feel ALIVE. Give us a ESPN ticker at the bottom of the screen updating us on games around the league.

When the playoffs are nearing, and certain teams need to win to get in, I would love to go from the end of my game to being taken to the end of, say, the Bears/Panthers game. With 1 minute left, the Panthers have the ball and are driving. If the Bears hold on, I make the playoffs. If not, I don't make the playoffs. This way, you become a spectator and yet it's very realistic and fun at the same time. This hasn't happened since the Sega Genesis days of football videogaming. Bring it back.

Also, get rid of the instant injury update. Again, just not realisitic and takes me out of the game. Not only do more injuries need to occur (create an injury slider), but there needs to be a sideline reporter who, after five to seven plays after the injury, updates you on the player and the length of his injury.

5. Commentary

Please add a two man booth commentary team. I think the radio announcer isn't bad. I love his emotion. But there needs to be a play by play guy and a color commentator. We need someone to comment on highlights, and to give insight on how well players are doing in the game. Also, it would be great to hear banter and some chemistry between the two guys. I think the announcing is pretty good for NCAA 360.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #35
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallfever
Man 2k5 was able to do it last generation why can't madden whose suppose to be next gen cant seem to get it right?

Dude..not to sound like a smarta** but I think we all may know the answer already,based on what I quoted above.
I think it was DQbell that stated earlier (I also agree) don't add another damn gimmick until Ea get's corrected what needs to be or SHOULD have been fixed already.
I also agree with what you were saying about the other Ea franchises going downhill (live,carbon)
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #36
Banned

russstwin1's Arena

OVR: 4

My wishlist:
1) Wider field. The field is way too narrow in the PS2 version, which makes it extremely hard to run and pass other than vertically. Post routes don't work period. If the field was wider in some fashion, things would be much easier for the user.
2) Realistic Blitzes and Blitz Pickups. Blitzes come WAY too fast on Madden and are pretty much impossible to pick up, even if you max protect. The OLs need to be more intuitive when it comes to blocking inside to outside. OLs with higher AWR will pick up the blitz more effectively than OLs with lower AWR.
3) Smoother routes by WRs and TEs
4) More hot routes and specific hot routes for WRs, TEs, RBs.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
They need to add QB accuracy for short(0-10 yards), medium (10-25) and long(25+). A QB accuracy of"97" should not be that good when throwing deep balls!! Defensive guys should also have a zone coverage rating and and a man-to-man rating. Multiple penalties. on a play. Why someone can be offsides and drill your QB and only get flagged for 5 yard offside is beyond me. That is all for now.
i like this idea.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 7

There are so many things that need to be fixed or improved in this game. In general the game is still not realistic enough, even for next-gen. I wish Madden could do the following although a lot of these have been stated:

Presentation - The game is dull and appears somewhat arcadish although the player chatter is immersive but repetitive. Enhance the entertainment to reflect TV style approach and the real NFL. Please make use of ESPN license with real booth commentators and a sideline reporter. Make the atmosphere more exciting especially in relation to playoffs and Super Bowl games. Provide much more variety in cut scenes between plays. Incorporate pre-game, halftime and or post game shows perhaps even player interviews. 2K5 did this in last gen what's up with EA!

Graphics and Animations:
1.) Give us much more realistic player faces particularly for most recognizable stars not some cheap generic mugshot. Didn't EA sort of promise this last year. I don't see it IN THE GAME as they claim.

2.) The running animations are still not up to par (i.e., Mario running still exist). Fix the player cuts it seems they're sliding instead of making a quick plant and move up the field.

3.) Please fix the quarterback drops they're not very realistic in this game. The qb seems like he's sliding too much instead of moving his feet especially out of the pocket.

4.) Provide smarter physics based tackles as mentioned before and please remove that touch or push and fall animation that's been there for years. Give us more real wrap up tackles.

5.) The catching animations need to be refined. For example, too often the receiver does not catch the ball in stride in a smoother motion. In a lot of instances the receiver turns his entire body to catch and then runs up the field. This looks horrible!!

AI:
1.) Fix the DB intelligence, too often player does not stick with receiver in one on one situations after ball is thrown.

2.) Receivers running a stop route. Their momentum always tend to make them run back towards the line of scrimmage after catching ball. This has been a problem or glitch for many years.

3.) Receivers running out patterns. Their momentum always takes them out of bounds. Please allow receivers particularly based on their ability to drag or tip toe feet in bounds when catching ball.

I'm sure there's much more but I believe these would add to the quality of the product which has potential that EA for some reason is not utilizing.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #39
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, fix the Chicago Bears jersey numbers. I know that this will probably not happen until PlayStation 4 or the next XBOX because once EA gets their models done, that's it, no redoing them. Just look at the fonts on the back of the jerseys on the PS2 and XBOX versions. They never fixed them. Anyway, the Bears numbers are WAY too fat and you can't even see an orange outline on the home jerseys. Also, it would be REALLY nice if EA could possibly make it to where the jersey numbers do not stretch rediculously when a player moves his armes in certain directions. For example, has anyone noticed how long the numbers get (on the shoulders) when the backup quarterback goes to hold the ball for a field goal/extra point.

Other than that...

PLEASE fix the running animations. There's been times when I've seen Michael Vick scrambling and it looks completely stupid.

Also, have the player's arms in correct proportion to their bodies. Their hands should not be below their knees.

GANG TACKLING, and not how its done on PS3 (that's crap). Have real, add-on tackling. 3, 4, 5, or even six players in on a tackle and pile-ups.

I could go on, and on, but I'll stop there. Well one last thing.

NO MORE GIMMICKS! Please don't waste time on stupid mini-games. Spend the development time where it matters, in gameplay, and fixing the actual game.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #40
All Star

OVR: 24

Add commentary and have all the slider makers at OS test the game and fix the gameplay before it's released so we don't have to wait a month after the release to start our franchises.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »