Home

Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Official Madden '08 Wishlist Thread

do what nfl 2k5 did. use the espn license. have chris berman do the half time shows and sportscenters covering nfl across the league. if this was possible on current gen its certainly capable on next gen and then some. add some of his famous lines like when a player returns a punt/kickoff for a TD have him say "he. will. go. all. the. way" and when a RB bowls over defenders have him say that "PFF" sound he makes etc..

also some gameplay issues fixed. ex. the QB looks like hes having a catch with one of my CB's and the CB drops it.

Gang Tackling

more options/play modes (owner mode etc.) and better SS mode.

add more new stuff and keep improving. dont just add stuff. improve whats wrong with this year's game and then add new content

oh yeah add trick plays!! flea flickers, HB pass, reverse etc.!

Last edited by STLfan92; 12-03-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #42
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I could go on and on about what I would like but I'll just say one. The passing has to be more than just hitting a button. Either a throw stick like mentioned earlier or something else. I want more control than just picking the right button.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

Zoom in on the passes, why when I throw the ball, the camera doesnt follow the ball. Fix the collision detection and add gang tackling. Remove the Mario running.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #44
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

1. Deeper, More Immersive Franchise Mode

I love franchise mode. As fun as it is to play against a live opponent, or how different other modes like Superstar mode are, nothing beats being able to take my favorite team and help improve them over multiple seasons.

However, in Madden 07', I feel very disconnected in franchise mode. I want to personally feel more connected to other teams within the league. And the league needs to feel ALIVE. Here are some ideas to improve it.

A) Make the draft an EVENT. Right now, it's essentially just pushing buttons and text boxes popping up. Let's see (or hear) the ESPN crew actually AT the NFL draft. Let's hear their comments on player selections. Since EA has the NCAA license, I would also love it if they could implement college player highlights when players are selected. So, if I select Joe Blow from Ohio State, let's see two or three highlights of him running around in an OSU uniform making plays. Let's also have a voice actor impersonate the commissioner, and announce the players being selected.

B) Bring back the newspapers and radio show. This, again, helps one feel more connected to not only their team, but other teams around the league.

C) Add highlights and maybe a show like NFL Live. This will help the gamers also become more familiar with drafted players as years go along.

D) Add player photos to the drafted players instead of a helmet. This would just help identify the players better instead of making them feel less real. NCAA for the 360 is nice in this regard, as the player faces almost look real.

E) More player specific personalities. I want to see quiet guys like Tomlinson hand the ball to the ref without a fuss, while other guys like Chad Johnson always celebrate. Conversely, off the field in franchise mode, I want player personalities to become an issue, too. So, if Jeremy Shockey is becoming a distraction, go into more depth about it. Have ESPN personalities discuss it. Again, make the league feel ALIVE. Maybe the gamer reads something that states coach Tom Coughlin has benched or suspended Shockey due to his actions. Maybe this eventually festers and causes rumors around the NFL that Shockey wants out of NY. Maybe at the end of that season, Shockey is surprisngly on the trade block.

2. Add TV Style Presentation

I made a post on here a month or two back stating that the graphics in this game are simply too good NOT to have TV style presentation. I stand by those statements. TV style presentation allows for the gamer to see more detail on the players--i.e, closer shots of player in pre/post snap.

It also gives the game more credibility. When I play a NFL game, I want it to feel like I am playing the games that I watch on TV. TV style presentation helps this. Give us more cut scenes of players on the sideline, and, especially, players ON THE FIELD. I love the detail of the stadiums, but I can only see the ketchup bottle at Heinz field SO many times. I would much rather see an upset Steve Smith trotting back disgruntled after an overthrow by Delhomme. Or teammates on the sidelines cheering a player after a great play. And please incorporate the fans in the stands. Let's see memebers of the Dawg Pound, black hole, etc. And have a diverse amount of cut scenes as well. That would be great.

3. Better Tackling.

The tackling is much improved over what it was years ago. With that said, there still are things that need to be fixed. Don't just add things, but remove certain tackles, too. Please get rid of the "jump into the back of a player, don't really make contact with him but he falls down and is tackled" animation. It's not real football and visually looks terrible when everything else looks so good. Give us more real wrap up tackles. Give us gang tackles where two and three players are attacking the ball carrier.

4. Atmosphere

The atmosphere during the post-season needs to be amped up much more. There should be specific cutscenes and commentary, even. There should be different celebrations. It should be a big deal. And when the Superbowl is won, a great celebration by the players, coaches, media, etc needs to be given to the gamer.

Atmosphere in general needs to be improved. Again, make the league feel ALIVE. Give us a ESPN ticker at the bottom of the screen updating us on games around the league.

When the playoffs are nearing, and certain teams need to win to get in, I would love to go from the end of my game to being taken to the end of, say, the Bears/Panthers game. With 1 minute left, the Panthers have the ball and are driving. If the Bears hold on, I make the playoffs. If not, I don't make the playoffs. This way, you become a spectator and yet it's very realistic and fun at the same time. This hasn't happened since the Sega Genesis days of football videogaming. Bring it back.

Also, get rid of the instant injury update. Again, just not realisitic and takes me out of the game. Not only do more injuries need to occur (create an injury slider), but there needs to be a sideline reporter who, after five to seven plays after the injury, updates you on the player and the length of his injury.

5. Commentary

Please add a two man booth commentary team. I think the radio announcer isn't bad. I love his emotion. But there needs to be a play by play guy and a color commentator. We need someone to comment on highlights, and to give insight on how well players are doing in the game. Also, it would be great to hear banter and some chemistry between the two guys. I think the announcing is pretty good for NCAA 360.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #45
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

Other ideas:

1) Add more player scanned faces

I love the detail in this game, and I think when the player faces are scanned, it's just amazing visually. Nothing seems more real than looking at Donovan McNabb, and realizing that that is how he EXACTLY looks face-wise.

However, a lot of players don't have scanned faces. Whether it's Drew Bledose, or high profile QB's like Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisburger. Not only do they have no face scans, but the faces in the game for these guys look NOTHING like them. Please fix this for a lot of the players with these generic faces.

2) Please fix the facemask issue for the defensive players. It seems most LB's and some DL have extra bars on their facemasks that, simply, should NOT be there. Look at Urlacher in the video game, and then look at an Urlacher photo in real life and compare the facemasks. You will know what I mean.

3) Add player editing. It has to be in for next season. I am getting annoyed with players having the number 0. Or not having their last names said. Or not being able to edit wrong equipment.

4) Get equipment correct. QB's don't wear dark visors. Add clear visors to the game. Add mouthpieces. Add neck rolls. I think it'd even be a nice touch to add knee braces and such.

5) Clean up the glitches. There were a ton of them this year. I didn't even touch the 40 yard dash and bench press mini games due to the glitch in franchise mode that changes the players ages. There's also a glitch that makes defensive players regress as the gamer advances throughout franchise mode. That seriously hurts franchise mode terribly. Please fix.

6) Player introductions/Pre-game
I like the concept of the intro's. But first off, there seems to be another glitch. I am seeing my back-up full back being introduced as my STARTING halfback. Weird players who shouldn't be getting introduced are.

I'd like to save these big intro's for playoffs and the Superbowl. Instead, in their place, I'd like to see pre-game warm ups. I'd like to see Manning throwing the ball to Harrison as they are practicing for the game. I'd like to hear the commentators suggest who they think will be impact players. Or have them suggest who needs to step up for injured players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #46
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

1. More Variety Within the Game to Keep it Fresh

Another thing I feel is that the game just needs to be fresher, even if you have been playing it for months. I feel, already, due to a lack of variety that the game is already becoming somewhat stale.

I'd love it if, for example, the announcers do what they do in real life, and project how well a player is doing in their career. So, if I'm playing with the Chargers, and Tomlinson reaches 100 career TD's, not only do I want that mentioned and discussed during the game, but I'd like a stat overlay to come onto the screen. It would show the comparisons between how fast Tomlinson reached 100 career TD's compared to great players of the past. Maybe we see Tomlinson's picture next to Emmitt Smith who is next to Jim Brown. Show the stats. Have the announcers discuss how amazing this feat is.

With this idea, you can have more variety in your game. For example, it can be used the opposite way as well. If I'm playing with Charlie Frye, and he isn't playing well, I'd like to see a stat overlay that compares Frye's stats through, say, 17 NFL starts compared to Manning. Or Aikman. Or McNabb. Or even compared to former Browns QB's like Bernie Kosar and Tim Couch. Show that Frye isn't on pace, statistically, to be as great a QB as hoped. Discuss why that is...maybe it's the OL. Maybe it's coaching. If my team is bad, maybe it IS coaching. If so, show a quick cut of the head coach before the next play.

Or maybe things like this can be discussed during an "NFL Live" type show when the gamer isn't playing the regular season games. Again, make the games and the league feel ALIVE. This constant anaylsis and comparison by announcers/commentators/NFL experts will intrigue gamers. If I draft a young WR, and he has had a great three first seasons, and in game 8of his fourth season they show that he has similar stats compared to the likes of Jerry Rice or Lynn Swann or Marvin Harrison four years into THEIR careers, I would be impressed with my player. And not only that but it ties the past NFL to the current one on-going in franchise.

2. If a player breaks a record in a game, like the sack record for instace, have the announcer showcase this with a lot of emotion. Show the player waving to the crowd.

3. Rumor Mill

We all know how big rumors are both during the season and off-season. Let's hear rumors about what's going on within other locker rooms around the NFL. But more importantly, let's have rumors abound during the off-season. If it's around the draft, let's hear rumors that certain teams will trade up. Or trade down. Or select a certain player. Have some of it be real, and some of it be simply dis-information.

4. Depth Charts/Team Rosters

Please fix the depth charts and team rosters. I see tons of teams only carrying four WR's...even if one of the four is hurt. Doesn't make sense.

And the draft/off-season logic is better than it has been in some years, but I am still seeing some teams drafting THREE QB's in one draft. And then there's the first round draft glitch that selects 15 DE's in round 1. Please fix this.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #47
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

This is sad....but i just want everything back that they have taken out. Player editing is a MUST. I will not buy the game if it isnt back in. Scrap the lousy create-a-player, and go back to the original. I would basically be happy if they just took the current gen, and gave it next gen graphics. But even THAT is way too much to expect from EA.

Oh yeah...and take all the gay and BS sound effects like bombs dropping....this is Madden, not Blitz.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 15

here are sum things i would love 2 see on 08

mouth pieces/guards (have no ideal why they arent on the game now, i guess players dont wear them anymore)

gang tackles

refs on the field, isnt this suppose 2 be next gen

field goal nets

alot better sideline catchs (they said they put over 100 more catchs but for sum reason i feel like i only see the same 10-15 catchs)

have more than like 10 rbs in the draft and dont have all of them go in the first 2 rounds

have a practice squad

and when u put sum 1 on IR have it free a roster spot

have players helmets fly off again after hard hits every once in a while

have alternet and throwback uniforms as a given

put the college all star game on next gen

let us edit players again (i really hate the fact that u cant do that)

and this most likely wont happen but it would hard if u had madden calling night games and keep your radio person calling day games on play now and in your franchise games only put madden on sunday night games and since they have the espn lisence put that crew on the monday night games

and the last thing i want back is the opition 2 be able 2 play with more than 2 players

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »