Home

Madden needs to get rid of the player ratings/attributes

This is a discussion on Madden needs to get rid of the player ratings/attributes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Madden needs to get rid of the player ratings/attributes

and move toward a more realistic type description of players.

I.e.... such and such runs a 4.x and weighs x and is x tall and that determines how they perform. You could add a couple of "skill" ratings for each position, but mainly base everything on weight/size/speed/athleticism/awareness.

What does this do, besides potentially make the game more real and understandable?

Well, for one, you can correctly calibrate the speed of DBs to WRs. Or of RBs to OL or of Punters to DBs. Why?

Because all of the weights/size/speed attributes for real life players are available... and the ratios between players are known.

It also lets you develop players that fit your "system." Do you want a speedy defense? Do you want bruisers on the OL or do you want speed?

Don't get me wrong, you'll still need a few other type of ratings (hands, throwing power, etc). But get the speed/height/weight/acceleration type ratios down pat.

And get rid of the damn 99999999 rated players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Madden needs to get rid of the player ratings/attributes

How do you rate football speed (ie not 40 speed or shuttle quickness)?

How do you rate strength when height/weight ratios rarely show the true power/strength of players.

I agree with you to an extent but key attribute ratings reflect effectiveness more than just "combine" stats.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

Personally, I'd like EA to go back and let us change the ratings manually. NCAA 07 does it. I'm not feeling the new way to give player ratings, especially from a created player standpoint.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Rookie

It's better the way they have it now, because if you want, you can edit the ratings to however you like it. Its as realistic as can be, maybe if they added more ratings, such as route running and stuff like that. Me and my friend created a scale of speed ratings based on 40 yard dash timings. It's pretty great, the only thing that sucks is that if we can't find a players 40, we have to leave it as it is. Although that only applies to players who are 6+ years pro.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I think player ratings are somewhat necessary in sports games; besides, even if you change the determining factor of speed from a number to a 40 time, basically nothing's changed; you still have some predetermined number deciding how fast the player runs in the video game.

I would like to see an option to hide player ratings though, particularly in franchise mode if nothing else, and an overhaul of the scouting system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I think player ratings are somewhat necessary in sports games; besides, even if you change the determining factor of speed from a number to a 40 time, basically nothing's changed; you still have some predetermined number deciding how fast the player runs in the video game.

I would like to see an option to hide player ratings though, particularly in franchise mode if nothing else, and an overhaul of the scouting system.
I think the ratings need to be there, but perhaps the Overall rating should be hidden/removed.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Rookie

The problem is that you always end up the same team... over and over again. The players have all the same "feel" to them.

There needs to be more that distinguishes players.
Reducing them to a number seems to go against that.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I personally wish the only thing we knew from the outset was players weight,height etc. Then have the game have a real type of camp/combine and let us as "coaches" read and make our own assessment of the players. So we watch the combine and or practices and we can see for ourselves "Visually" not by numbers, how fast/strong/smart a player is.
Totally get rid of the ratings but maybe have a way to enter our rankings into the players data. So we work during the preseason and we say "HB 33 seems to be a pretty decent speed back. Probably a 88-90. So we open the players data and enter that. Something like that. Have the players abilities go up/down and make weekly practices mean something. Lastly let us have a full pre-season roster and have to make cuts.

Just my .02.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »