Home

Real play by play commentary...........when?

This is a discussion on Real play by play commentary...........when? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Rookie

UalHawkeye's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Real play by play commentary...........when?

I have all but given up on this series! I got burned last year, not going to happen this year! I year in year out buy this game blindly without reading the reviews etc.. on here, but not this year! If they bring back madden with anyone I will NOT buy this game! He was horrid and ruined the game. They need several announcing teams, not just 2 guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would like to have game interruptions like telling out of town scores.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arge23
I think they shuld use diff commentators such as Joe Buck and Chris Clollinsworth. And the guys on CBS like Simms and his partner. Or jut use FOX for NFC and CBS for AFC. and on sunday night have the sunday night crew and on Monday night have madden and michaels
People thought that this game's commentary has been dry and repetitive for years. The same problems would still exist, but with different guys. Top tier real life announcers just don't have enough time to sit in a booth and record tons of lines. You can see this over many different sports games.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
People thought that this game's commentary has been dry and repetitive for years. The same problems would still exist, but with different guys. Top tier real life announcers just don't have enough time to sit in a booth and record tons of lines. You can see this over many different sports games.
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan recorded a slew of lines for the MLB2K games, and their acting is quite good too (compared to a lot of "professionals").

Seriously though, I heard better commentary in the Joe Montana games for the Sega Genesis. The radio announcer is not good. Anyone who thinks so...I mean...come on. It's lazy. It also makes the game feel stale, but maybe I'm just a "fanboy".

Who cares about commentary, presentation, replay cuts, overlays, endless amounts of animations, half time shows, game specific cut-scenes, weekly season shows, and end game highlights? It's all just fluff...right? EA is on the right track here. "We will regress to progress". That should be their motto. You can play 10 games of Madden and pretty much see and hear everything it has to offer. You can play 100 games of NFL2K5 and you'll still see or hear something you've never witnessed before in your previous games. To me, that's what keeps the game from getting stale.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytercel
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan recorded a slew of lines for the MLB2K games, and their acting is quite good too (compared to a lot of "professionals").
Let's be honest though, if you've played the MLB2K series for a few years, Miller and Morgan offer up the same repetitive stuff over and over and over again. I have heard a few new lines in regards to what a certain player did last year, but more often than not, I hear the same canned phrases from last year and the year before. Those phrases aren't bad, but they have gotten repetitive over the years.

As far as Madden's announcing, I don't like the radio guy, but I also got tired of Madden as he also repeated the same canned phrases over and over again.

Last edited by mjb2124; 03-21-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #30
Pro

Polo Bandit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
I wonder if EA could just record every hometown announcer when they broadcast a real game and just pick out lines to put in the game. Then have the announcers come in and record them saying players names etc... Then there would be a lot of different commentary.
I think that's asking too much, but they could maybe have four different sets of announcers for different regions. One set for East Coast games, another for West, etc. Then use Madden/Michaels for prime time games.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Let's be honest though, if you've played the MLB2K series for a few years, Miller and Morgan offer up the same repetitive stuff over and over and over again. I have heard a few new lines in regards to what a certain player did last year, but more often than not, I hear the same canned phrases from last year and the year before. Those phrases aren't bad, but they have gotten repetitive over the years.

As far as Madden's announcing, I don't like the radio guy, but I also got tired of Madden as he also repeated the same canned phrases over and over again.

While you're right, lets be honest. People praise NFL2K5 and its commenary, but Dan and Peter had the same lines for years. While there were small changes to the commentary, a lot of it remained the same. If the team is spending time on getting the important things right (ahem...gameplay), then I'll accept some new lines of commentary. I mean, the Madden series litereally had the SAME exact commentary for like four years. Also, while we can complain about the commentary in 2K7, all you have to do is play some WSB 2K3 or ESPN 2K4. You'll appreciate the commentary a bit more. I couldn't imagine that it would be easy to get these professional announcers to come in and record a whole new book of commentary. I also couldn't imagine it being very easy to sort out the new lines and replace the old files. Regardless, it sounds like a baseball game, and for the many people who just started playing the game, it's a cool experience. It really fits the presentation as a whole. It's not like we've been through that many years of playing Kush baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytercel
While you're right, lets be honest. People praise NFL2K5 and its commenary, but Dan and Peter had the same lines for years. While there were small changes to the commentary, a lot of it remained the same. If the team is spending time on getting the important things right (ahem...gameplay), then I'll accept some new lines of commentary. I mean, the Madden series litereally had the SAME exact commentary for like four years. Also, while we can complain about the commentary in 2K7, all you have to do is play some WSB 2K3 or ESPN 2K4. You'll appreciate the commentary a bit more. I couldn't imagine that it would be easy to get these professional announcers to come in and record a whole new book of commentary. I also couldn't imagine it being very easy to sort out the new lines and replace the old files. Regardless, it sounds like a baseball game, and for the many people who just started playing the game, it's a cool experience. It really fits the presentation as a whole. It's not like we've been through that many years of playing Kush baseball.
I think it's a matter of coding and implementing multiple phrases. It's not easy to do and is probably why I've never played a sports game that wasn't repetitive. MLB2K is no different than NFL2K or Madden in that sense.

No we haven't been through that many years of Kush Baseball. Hopefully it won't be that many more because they haven't done very well the last 2 years IMO. Last year was a disaster and while this year is better overall, it still has some pretty major issues that were prevalent in last years game and some new issues. It's like you mentioned above...the important things are the gameplay and MLB2K hasn't gotten it right yet. I gave them a pass in year 1 (even though I could barely get through 40 games), but 2 years in a row is unacceptable IMO (same with Madden). Sadly, some of the bugs/glitches and poor AI lineups should never have made it to the final build 2 years in a row.

The irony of everything is we have one company with great ideas and poor implementation/testing (2K) and one company with terrible or no ideas that has good testing/QA (EA). This exclusive license stuff stinks for all of us and every one of us should hope that neither 2K or EA continues this practice in the future (I know, that isn't going to happen). I know many are supporting one developer or the other, but I'll never understand why as that's horrible for us...the consumer. That is unless one is being paid by one company or the other. **jumps off soapbox**

Last edited by mjb2124; 03-25-2007 at 02:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »