Home

Another Madden first look article

This is a discussion on Another Madden first look article within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Another Madden first look article

http://n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=39252

Quote:

So the draft has been and gone. Ginn’s pick is still the most talked about selection in the draft and the Browns are on cloud nine after getting their two high-profile draftees. The next NFL item on the agenda is the impending release of Madden ’08. Previous Madden installments were nothing more than a roster update and a few new modes thrown in for good measure, but this time around EA are going to have to pull their finger out as they have some stiff competition in the form of recently announced All-Pro Football 2K8.
Luckily EA have started to reveal some information about the upcoming title and it looks set to be one hell of a game. Tiburon have already said that they are putting a lot more work into the gameplay, as well as the game’s graphics. Madden being Madden, when it’s released it will look sublime, the helmets, jerseys, cleats, fields, stadiums and players will no doubt be re-created perfectly. Let us only hope the gameplay matches the game’s graphical prowess.

The newest features to be included in ’08 include bigger catches. This includes one-handed dives and sideline foot dragging; it will be interesting to see how well this works in the game. Many previous Madden owners will know that it was a big risk throwing the ball out to a receiver near the sideline. Simply because a lot of the time they’d jump out of bounds in an attempt to catch the ball. In the newest title you will in fact watch in amazement as your Wide Receiver (WR) drops his feet to the floor so that they stay in-bounds.

The thing is despite having these ‘bigger’ catches EA have made things just as difficult by improving the Defensive Back (DB) AI and actions. One thing the DBs can now do is smash into a WR’s side while they are in mid-air trying to grab hold of that 60-yard long bomb. These mid-air collisions will result in some dropped passes, fumbles and the highly sought after injuries.
This swiftly brings me onto the next feature hurdles. Hurdles aren’t new as you can quite happily do it in ’07, but they have been updated. Although you can dodge tackles at your feet hurdling means you are up in the air, which means while floating like a butterfly you will be smashed in the side by a Rhino as you try to make that 1st down. Gang tackles made a very quick appearance in the PS3, and it was surprising just how well it worked. With the new game the gang tackling will be even better, which means the running game in Madden won’t be anywhere near as powerful. A plus in any Madden fans eyes.?

The entire Defensive AI has been given a major overhaul as well. Slant plays for one opened up holes in the crappy AI, which made passing extremely easy. When players rolled the Quarterback (QB) out to the sideline it resulted in the game’s piss-poor AI all going towards the QB. which in turn left the opposing wide receivers wide open. Luckily all that has changed (at least that’s what we’d hope) with the new game and the various Defensive flaws look like they have been ironed out.

Even the Offensive Line and Defensive Lines have been remade for the new game. You will see more Offensive Tackle double-teams and more intuitive blocking. You’ll even see the Defensive Line completely consume and collapse the pocket in their bid to hunt down the QB. As well as all the new gameplay features EA have also included loads of new animations so that you won’t see the same stiff-arm or truck over and over again. Celebrations have also been included and when you score a Touchdown you will see all your teammates come up to you and slap you over the head, while making some obscene gesture about how much the opponents defence suck. They have even managed to fit signature celebrations into the game, so keep an eye on players such as Merriman and Ocho Cincho.

Another thing to watch is the various players and how they play. For example Peyton Manning will be his normal self, tearing apart defences with his perfect passing. LT will be seen breaking multiple tackles on his way to the end zone. Champ Bailey will assume control of entire fields, picking off anything floating through the air. You’ll even see inconsistent players such as Aaron Brooks and even golden boy Vince Young throw passes in entirely the wrong direction. All of this adds to the game’s realism and Madden ’08 is really starting to look like something special. The game itself won’t be here until August 14th, but already it really is looking like the best Madden to date. With sideline catches, laterals, celebrations and an all-new defensive AI you’d be mad to miss out on Madden ’08.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 05-11-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Another Madden first look article

Looks good.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

The mid-air collision flips sound exciting to watch, but I hope they programmed the PI penalties to be called correctly. I also hope the amount of drops and/or fumbles as a result of these big hits are reflected by the ratings of players hands, or catch in traffic, or whatever. It shouldn't be an automatic drop or fumble.... and all players should note be judged the same.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Even being the Madden fan that I am(anyone on this site to back me up on that), I am tired of reading about the game and want to see it in action. I know its early to be looking for videos, but I want to see what they are talking about, not read it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
but already it really is looking like the best Madden to date

lets hope so
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Rookie

RockinRobinChi's Arena

OVR: 1

Sounds great, this could be the BEST year for video game football EVER!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
GMF
Rookie

GMF's Arena

OVR: 3

Ιs it me or the graphics look worst than those of Madden 07?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobinChi
Sounds great, this could be the BEST year for video game football EVER!
Man, I hope so. Football gaming has been pretty bleak recently.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »