Home

Shouldnt we be happier about Madden 08......

This is a discussion on Shouldnt we be happier about Madden 08...... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #49
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Shouldnt we be happier about Madden 08......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I agree completely. I could have even looked past some of Madden 07's flaws if the game wasn't so darn boring!!! Until EA ups the presentation side of things, Madden will be rental to me. There is no way I could finish a game let alone an entire season in a game that is that boring.
LMAO.. Are you of all people, honestly going to try to pass yourself off as unbiased in any way shape or form?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #50
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
The answer is yes. We should be. I think I'm a little surprised by all of the negative reaction despite what seems to be solid improvements. One thing that I have trouble with is the "it should've happened two years ago" argument. I'm a Pats fan and that'd be like me saying yeah winning those three Superbowls were great but we should've beat the Packers in 97. The problem with that though is EA hasn't deceived anyone. I couldn't play the madden 06 and 07 on the 360 but I knew what I was purchasing. We knew that the game was going to be stripped down and even on current gen, I don't remember anytime that Madden had promoted some major change that wasn't in the game when it was released sometimes it wasn't perfect but it was there.Second, Madden gets criticizm for gimmicky improvement, I have to say that I think all of the current gen improvements are gameplay improvements and not necessarily gimmicks. Vision cone, lead blocker control. offensive and defensive playmaker, these are things that improve the game. I don't have a problem with people criticizing the direction the game is going but I really don't think there's a basis to criticize its implementation until the game is out. I could see if they were throwing everything back in and not focusing on anything else but it seems like they're throwing everything back in and making everything deeper all at the same time. And lastly, its easy to forget - we can be a resource for EA but we aren't their target audience. The trick EA has to pull off is to not be too complex for the people that don't get the nuisances of the game and then to have enough control in it to satisfy those of us who bleed football. And for the record, despite public opinion, I don't think APF has anything to do with all the improvements.
No disrespect........but I think I fully understand the term "blind loyalist" after reading this post.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #51
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
No disrespect........but I think I fully understand the term "blind loyalist" after reading this post.
They are all over the place in the football forums especially.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #52
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Where did I say everyone. Where did I even come close to making it sound like everyone?

Read, then post.
This statement is a generalization:

To the people who come up with the "we just want the best game argument", you're either lying to hide your agenda, or delusional.

... but maybe you were directing this statement to the "blind loyalists" who use this as an excuse for their criticisms.

I want the best game and don't care who makes it. No lies, no agenda, no delusions.

Think, then speak.

** It's no secret that there are blind loyalists in both camps... but why wouldn't anyone just want the best game, regardless if it's 2K or EA or whoever.

Last edited by nxt; 05-19-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #53
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
Exactly! Very well put..
I love the girl analogy, lol. But seriously, the main point people are not getting is this exact quote,

"The big question I have concerning madden is did they change the game engine? Because if they did not change the engine how much better can the game really be? What you will have is alot of enhancements on a game that will play the same. Madden became a boring game of football to me, all of the new features they are claiming to have implemented won't mean much if it is the same old game play."

Thats it, as clear cut as it gets. All the features that they are adding(some that should have already been!) are not going to help much if the gameplay, players models, lack of presentation, etc. remain the same.. In my personal opinion 3 key elements to making a great realistic football game, and they always seem to forget to improve on. They need to make leaps and bounds in the gameplay, players models, and presentation department in order win back their fan base and others that are just plain looking for a great football game...
Im sorry but player models should not be 1 key element, granted yes it does help with the immersion of realism and belief but if your only giving 3 keys im sure we could come up with something else. I say this because if you have The Show for the PS3 and although the graphics are good the player models are a little "off" but the game is crazy realistic in terms of a baseball game and it doesn't detract form the game at all.

Also this talk of the engine, theres absolutely nothing wrong with the engine itself ...its simply the execution on EA's part.

Heres an example...Ever play Unreal Tournament for the PC? How bout Gears Of War for 360? What bout HL2 or Counterstrike Source? I hold all of these games in high regard and for good reason, they are very good games IMO.

Now do have any idea how many Unreal engine licenses or source engine licenses have been sold to 3rd party devs to make there own games??

Now out of all those licenses sold for both engines how many legit GOOD games actually were built with these engines? Not many...very few. But why not almost all of them ......its the same engine UT, Gears, HL2, and even CS:S use. Simple...execution. And in EA's case i do realize its there own engine and maybe it has taken them this long to finally start to figure things out...i dunno. what ever the reason is dont always blame the engine when alot of the times its the driver causing the problems

Last edited by Badboy49er; 05-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #54
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
This statement is a generalization:

To the people who come up with the "we just want the best game argument", you're either lying to hide your agenda, or delusional.

... but maybe you were directing this statement to the "blind loyalists" who use this as an excuse for their criticisms.

I want the best game and don't care who makes it. No lies, no agenda, no delusions.

Think, before speaking.
In no way was that a generalization. Again, read, then post.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
or at least a little more optimistic?

Hear me out. I played last year's game for about a month and then sold it because of the fatigue issue. It bugged me to no end. For the first few months after the release of Madden 07, I heard multiple complaints....."No Coop", "No Gang Tackling", "No Player Editing" and all the complaints were legitimate.

Now this year EA comes straight out and says it added the following things to next gen:

Coop
Owner Mode
Alternate Jerseys
Player Editing
Realistic Fatigue
Gang Tackling
Double Team Oline Blocks
Mid Air Collisions
Defensive Hot Routes

Those probably cover 80-90% of the major complaints most people on this board had with last year's game (The only major exceptions I see are ESPN presentation and formation subs). So they fix or add alot of features but it seems that the majority of this board is underwhelmed or unimpressed. My question is WHY? Are we at the point on this board where there is so much bad blood about EA, the exclusive deal and the previous installments that even if EA fixes the things we complain about...we still are unhappy?

I agree this game can be perfect and still people would complain, mostly becasue a lot of people loved 2k and when they got smash that cause a lot of problems. Also, people expected more from Madden the last couple years and they really haven't delivered, so I can see why people are upset. I think this year will be great. Madden usually took about 3 years to get it going, at least it did when they came out on new Systems. So I do think this game will be sick!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
As others have said, EA could make the greatest game known to man, people would still complain. Mostly fueled by the exclusive license agreement.

To the people who come up with the "we just want the best game argument", you're either lying to hide your agenda, or delusional. There is a significant number of people, who will hate the Madden series no matter how good or great the quality of the product is. Brand loyalty knows no bounds for some I guess.
Lord help me I am agreeing with you BK, that has to be first! lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »