Home

Force 4th down Punt?

This is a discussion on Force 4th down Punt? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Force 4th down Punt?

Amen .I hated that online people would go for it even if it was 4th and 10 and they were on rheir side of the field.Ea also needs to add challenges online.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

the fair play stuff was actually good on the ps2. I know with NCAA, you could get onside kicks everytime if you wanted to. They blocked it from online though with those rules.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33

I also liked the "Fair Play" rules. I hate playing guys who insist on going for it, not just in punting situations, but most random online players forget about field goals as well, even if it'll give them the lead or bring them within a couple points!

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

I've never played an online game in my life, but in offline games, I kinda like it when my opponents play stupidly, like going for it on 4th on their own side of the field. They usually screw it up and I get great field position.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

come on man. I know it's not smart to go for it on 4th down if you have bad field positioning, but you cannot FORCE people to punt on 4th down.

The beauty of Madden is that you have the ability to coach and control a team at YOUR discression.

If you have someone go for it on 4th down, just play solid defense and stop them. They'll eventually learn the lesson if your defense is solid. Personally, I invite idiots who go for it on 4th down.

You can't take people's freedom away.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I hope they bring it back as well but it should be more intelligent. If i'm down by 28 in the 2nd quarter at midfield I shouldn't be forced to punt.
I disagree, you should never be "forced" to do anything in a VIDEO GAME. Just like the gentleman said above, the clowns who go for it on 4th down are usually bums who quit by the second quarter. If your defense is true, then you have nothing to worry about. Why take away a gamer's freedom to play how he or she wants?

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
I disagree, you should never be "forced" to do anything in a VIDEO GAME. Just like the gentleman said above, the clowns who go for it on 4th down are usually bums who quit by the second quarter. If your defense is true, then you have nothing to worry about. Why take away a gamer's freedom to play how he or she wants?
I can see your point and have actually argued that quite often in the debate on cheese vs str8. It comes down basically to the age old, personal freedom vs societal rules that is a debate in actual, everyday life. Does someone going for it on 4th down constantly hurt the community because it is unrealistic football? Yes it does, so forcing some basic punts isn't a bad idea. Is making him or her punt in certain situations restrict his or her freedom? Yes it does but it's for the greater good.

The key IMO is to not make it too overwhelming in favor of robbing a person of all their freedoms in that situation. If it's even mildly possible a coach would go for it in real life then they should be able to do so in the game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
Banned

Alburt Poohole's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't think fair play is needed...I don't need the cpu to tell me what's realistic and to be honest fair play was flawed as there would be certain situations where it would force you to punt that didn't make sense. So while fair play meant well it was a problem.

4th and 2 or more in my or my opponents territory...an almost DEFINITE punt or FG unless its very late in the game

4th and inches to 4th and 1 in my or my opponents territory...If I'm in my opponents territory its 50/50 that I might go depending on the situation and the same may go for my territory depending on the situation. Sometimes a punt to play field position is as important as keeping the ball or getting a 1st down so there may be instances at 4th and inches that I would punt.

NFL coaches (i.e. Bill Belechic and Parcells) will go for it in a heart beat so you can't force someone to coach in a way that makes you happy...You gotta just play and let your D dictate the odds. If you are playing good D then you will dictate alot of times your opponents decision.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »