Home

No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This?

This is a discussion on No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #41
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05

You can call it what ever you want two but its the truth. Anyone who thinks 100% of the features in ps2/xbox versions of the game would be in the 360/PS3 in development year 3 just has unrealistic expectations. If the game was a port that would be different but the games are not ports. Madden was built from the ground up on next gen and it takes time to get everything in there and some things are harder to do and they will run into new problems since this is new hardware.

Like I said before the xbox and xbox 360 are not the same systems so its not comparing apples to apples. Madden was not ported over so everything had to be re-written in the game code. Apparently the devs can't get the refs to act right on the field which was what I was told. So they decided to scrap them and try again at a later time.

Its the truth if you don't choose to accept it thats on you.
Your reason for them no having refs is that they don't understand the systems(even though this is year three on the 360 and year two on the ps3) and you tried to say that they had refs in the xbox and ps2 versions because they knew the system. That isn't true though, you're making up reasons for why they aren't in the game. The leap from ps1 to ps2 was huge yet they had referees on the field. And please stop parroting the "madden was built from the ground up" thing because it has been pretty evident that the game was not rebuilt.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #42

OVR: 34

"You strain the gnat and swallow the camel."
Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #43
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Your reason for them no having refs is that they don't understand the systems(even though this is year three on the 360 and year two on the ps3) and you tried to say that they had refs in the xbox and ps2 versions because they knew the system. That isn't true though, you're making up reasons for why they aren't in the game. The leap from ps1 to ps2 was huge yet they had referees on the field. And please stop parroting the "madden was built from the ground up" thing because it has been pretty evident that the game was not rebuilt.
First of all its not my reason, its the reason the devs gave for why they are not in the game. Also I didn't say they didn't understand the systems I said they are having problems getting refs to act right on the field so they scrapped them this year.

Secondly anyone with half a brain knows that the PS3/360 are both new sets of hardware and all developers have trouble with the new hardware the first couple of years out not just madden.

Last no one is making up reasons like I stated before thats the reasons the devs gave the guys at CD for why they are not in the game. If you choose not to beleive that so be it.

For the umptenth time nothing is promised when you have new systems on new hardware. With new core re-writes for code who knows what kinds of problems devs run into I'm sure some things are very easy to code for. I'm also sure that some things that where done in current gen have turned out to be harder to do in next gen and vice versa.

Madden 06 was built from the ground up we all know that. If you choose not to accept that fact its on you. That game sucked if it would have been ported they wouldn't have ran into so many problems with the game. Need proof all the new ratings that are in the game I think there are about 20 of them if the game was ported and not rebuilt from the ground up. Then why aren't any of these new ratings in the current gen versions of the game?

Why aren't mid-air collisions in the current gen version of the game?

Why didn't current gen get the blocking A.I. re-write?

Why are there no double team blocks in currrent gen?

Why doesn't current gen have the branching animation system?

etc.....

Explain this one to me if it wasn't rebuilt why can't any of these additions be done on the ps2/xbox versions of the game???
Old 06-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

Madden 06 was built from the ground up we all know that. If you choose not to accept that fact its on you. That game sucked if it would have been ported they wouldn't have ran into so many problems with the game. Need proof all the new ratings that are in the game I think there are about 20 of them if the game was ported and not rebuilt from the ground up. Then why aren't any of these new ratings in the current gen versions of the game?
Yeah, just because a game sucks, and Madden 06 on the 360 did SUCK, does not mean it was a port.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #45

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
First of all its not my reason, its the reason the devs gave for why they are not in the game. Also I didn't say they didn't understand the systems I said they are having problems getting refs to act right on the field so they scrapped them this year.

Secondly anyone with half a brain knows that the PS3/360 are both new sets of hardware and all developers have trouble with the new hardware the first couple of years out not just madden.
The xbox and ps2 were new sets of hardware yet refs were possible.

Last no one is making up reasons like I stated before thats the reasons the devs gave the guys at CD for why they are not in the game. If you choose not to beleive that so be it.

For the umptenth time nothing is promised when you have new systems on new hardware. With new core re-writes for code who knows what kinds of problems devs run into I'm sure some things are very easy to code for. I'm also sure that some things that where done in current gen have turned out to be harder to do in next gen and vice versa.

Quote:
If the game was built from the ground up then why have fundamental problems from past games gone unchanged to the 360 and ps3 versions? Having all new ratings doesn't mean that the game was rebuilt, it means that they added some new ratings. There is no doubt that they started over on some things but they did not blow up the engine and start from the beginning, and if they did then they clearly have no idea what they're doing or they don't care when they let things like mario running, which has been something that people have complained about for years, in the game. They kept their suction blocking system, the same shotgun in the back tackling animations, the ice skating, etc etc.

Quote:

Explain this one to me if it wasn't rebuilt why can't any of these additions be done on the ps2/xbox versions of the game???
Who says that those things can't be done in the xbox or ps2 versions?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #46
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Yeah, just because a game sucks, and Madden 06 on the 360 did SUCK, does not mean it was a port.
Of course not most people can tell within playing a game for the first 30 minutes if its a port or not.

1. The devs said that game was built from the ground up. I don't see any reason for them to lie about it.

2. When I played NBA2K6 I knew it was a port within the first 5 minutes with the game. Same thing with Madden 06 game didn't feel like current gen and had problems the current gen version didn't have most notably sucition blocking.

Same thing with NBA2K6 the devs said it was a port and when you played the game you knew it was a port. The game was same as current gen just with upgraded graphics. Again same thing with that attempt at a b-ball game called NBA Live 06 for the 360. The devs said it was rebuilt from the ground up and by playing the game for over 30 minutes (if you could stand it that long) you knew the game had a new engine.

Quote:
Who says that those things can't be done in the xbox or ps2 versions?
The devs said point blank current gen Madden/Ncaa is maxed out they really can't add **** those games they are at the peak. Just ask rhombic or cdj who wen't to CD thats what they where told.

Quote:
The xbox and ps2 were new sets of hardware yet refs were possible.
Is the PS3 and the 360 the same systems as the PS2 and xbox hell no, so from a fundamental standpoint that argument is flawed again you are comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same systems so why would you expect it to be the same this time around?? Clear visors are in current gen versions of the game I mean really how hard can that be? Yet clear visors are not in NCAA (they are in Madden) this year for the 360/PS3. With all of these new systems some stuff becomes easier and some things that where once easy to program may become harder this time around.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 06-23-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #47

jmood88's Arena

Quote:
1. The devs said that game was built from the ground up. I don't see any reason for them to lie about it.
You trust EA way too much. I guess you also believed when they said that the target videos they released looked worst than the actual game, or that the picture they showed of Michael Strahan tackling Donovan McNabb with the individual blades of grass(which they also showed in the trailer) was real too.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
You trust EA way too much. I guess you also believed when they said that the target videos they released looked worst than the actual game, or that the picture they showed of Michael Strahan tackling Donovan McNabb with the individual blades of grass(which they also showed in the trailer) was real too.
You said that you suspect it wasn't a new engine because a lot of the same issues are still in next-gen that were in current-gen. Well that's not necessarily because it wasn't a new engine, have you ever stopped to think the same people probably programmed the next-gen that did the current-gen? Hence a lot of the same people will put the same positives and negatives into their work. So no, the game having some of the same issues as past-gen games does not by any means negate the possibility of it being a new engine.

And why are we even arguing this point anyways, I would think if EA had lied about it being a port that A) the game would have been a lot more polished than it was and B) some real programmers who actually know what they are doing would have exposed this scandal by now. Because let's face it, we all know EA isn't the most fan popular company around and something this big would not have been able to have been "snuck in under the radar".

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »