Home

No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This?

This is a discussion on No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: No Refs: Anyone Else Bothered By This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennepetal
There's no accounting for what people expect outta their products, but this, to me, is incredibly nit-picky. I can't say that I've ever noticed once whether a ref is on the field. Then again, I'm not the sort to worry about what color shoes a guy is wearing or whether I can put a visor on his helmet.

I DO think it would be cool to actually see the zebras throw flags when penalties occur, but I've never been convinced that the penalties were much more than a randomly-generated occurrance just to have penalties as part of the experience.

It does seem like something they should have in the game, but it's hardly something about which to worry.

I think it probably is noticed more by the old school gamers who played Madden from the Genesis days possibly? I know I got used to having refs back then and not having them now is definitely noticeable to me. However it's not a huge deal to me, but i'd like to have them back.

The main time when they are missed IMO is on a "something and inches" play. If it's 3rd and inches then I want to see the chain gang come out and there be a measurement. And if they add this in they should make it so you can NOT skip it with a button press as people will always just skip over it. However, they should not make it take too long either as I don't want to be waiting around on a long scene and I'm sure no one else does either.

Oh and I think this is definitely more of an issue then someone wearing the wrong cleat size or something. But that's just MO too..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #58
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think it probably is noticed more by the old school gamers who played Madden from the Genesis days possibly? I know I got used to having refs back then and not having them now is definitely noticeable to me. However it's not a huge deal to me, but i'd like to have them back.

The main time when they are missed IMO is on a "something and inches" play. If it's 3rd and inches then I want to see the chain gang come out and there be a measurement. And if they add this in they should make it so you can NOT skip it with a button press as people will always just skip over it. However, they should not make it take too long either as I don't want to be waiting around on a long scene and I'm sure no one else does either.

Oh and I think this is definitely more of an issue then someone wearing the wrong cleat size or something. But that's just MO too..
Couldn't agree more
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 5

EA Sports is just too damn LAZY........... Lazy, Lazy, Lazy!!
You realized they hardly advertise their slogan anymore.... "If its in the game"...... You would be hard pressed to find the little things that made the games of old so special. Because they are missing from the games now!!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 21

C'mon guys...who among you wouldn't complain about a baseball game without umpires? I complain more about EA than probably anyone else here, but you really have to be an apologist to not care that referees still aren't there in year three. Personally, I'm more disappointed in the fact there is still only one playable camera angle. Regardless, if people don't complain, EA/Tiburon will never add them to the game. The last three years are proof of that.

Then again, I'm probably dealing with the same guys who last year didn't think no gang tackling was too big a deal, or Mario Running, or suction blocking, etc. Some guys are happy with just about anything. (But they get really offended when called sheep.) They think that referees, multiple camera angles, etc. are too much to ask for a game that generates $300M in revenue every year.

Last edited by GTheorenHobbes; 06-23-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #61
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
The producers stated the refs are not in the game yet because they cannot get them to act right. Its a programing issue just like the damn clear visors.
How can clear visor be a programming issue??? It is purely graphical. They should remove them altogether if they can't do a the 1 visor 80 percent of the people who wear them wear.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
How can clear visor be a programming issue??? It is purely graphical. They should remove them altogether if they can't do a the 1 visor 80 percent of the people who wear them wear.
It's not just graphical as a visor would have reflections and shadows which would go thru the visor onto the players face and the like, which requires programming it in a different fashion than a black visor which can just be reflective and doesn't have the clear, see thru aspect to it. Although as someone else said, if Schottenheimer can have clear glasses then why couldn't they just use that on the players I wonder?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 06-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #63
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It's not just graphical as a visor would have reflections and shadows which would go thru the visor onto the players face and the like, which requires programming it in a different fashion than a black visor which can just be reflective and doesn't have the clear, see thru aspect to it. Although as someone else said, if Schottenheimer can have clear glasses then why couldn't they just use that on the players I wonder?
Still not s programming problem. Its a graphics problem. They should remove them altogether then. Nothing worse then seeing QBs wearing dark visor. This problem was all to frequent in NCAA 07 as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Still not s programming problem. Its a graphics problem. They should remove them altogether then. Nothing worse then seeing QBs wearing dark visor. This problem was all to frequent in NCAA 07 as well.
Graphics like these must be programmed in though. Hence, it's a programming issue. It's not just a graphics texture or color they can change, which would be purely graphical and not related to programming as you are saying.

Have you ever taken any programming classes? Not to sound insulting but I took programming in college and I cringe when I see all these comments stating how "easy" stuff is. If you've never programmed or tried to then you have no idea how easy or difficult something is.

I'm by no means excusing EA, it should be fixed for sure. I'm just saying in general the public has no idea difficult these "easy" fixes can actually be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »