Home

99 Rated players

This is a discussion on 99 Rated players within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: 99 Rated players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
But skills decline. How long do you give an aging player the benefit of the doubt? If he's getting older and slower, why not have it reflected in the game the very next year.

And if a rookie comes in and excels in something specific, why not reflect it in the game. A younger player is more likely to retain his skill, improve it even.
I think till we give him the Benefit of the doubt and he doesn't produce on the feild agian. It's really no different then giving Reggie Bush or Devin Hester the benefit of the doubt their first season wasn't a fluke. I mean, What if Hester doesn't run back anything next year (doubtful, but it wont be 6)? They already gave him the 100 speed, if he doesn't produce, he will be knocked down.

Im just saying, you should give the players who have done what good rookies have done their first season, for several seasons the benefit of the doubt. Unitl they prove us they cant play agian, then yeah, i guess something should be done. But players like Harrison and Holt who are ageing, are not losing a step in production, they are getting older, but they are still the top in the league. Harrison might be the best, and im wondering why Smith is a 99 before him.

But for players like Bruce or Rod Smith, who are still capable of hitting that 1000 yard mark and 5 TD's as 2nd WR, should still get the benefit of the doubt, like first year young rookies do. We can't forshadow their decline just because they are getting older. Until they really show us they can't play up to their abilities anymore. And I dont think we can forshadow a rookies next season by rating him higher then what they would, just because hes younger. I agree it should all be based on the pevious season, but players in between should get the benefit of the doubt, at least before rookies do.

Quote:
That's why there are individual ratings. Ignore the overall rating for a second and imagine him rated realistically. There's no doubt he's one of the most elusive players in the league, so reflect that in the game. But his vision sucks, so reflect that. He's 205 lbs and probably one of the weaker backs in the league, so reflect that. His indurance and toughness were also sub par, so reflect that.

Being a specialized player with great speed, elusiveness & hands may inflate his overall rating, but his lack of vision, size, strength, indurance & toughness will give you that 3.6 yard per carry. IMO, you can't penalize him in open field situations because he averaged 3.6 ypc.
Sure, but I don't you should grant him a high rating if he can only run in the open feild. Users are going to find holes, when the computer plays, he can run into blockers and have bad vision all he wants. But when someone is playing, they will find those holes. And then thats when Reggie Bush is better in the game then he is in real life, I think thats all im saying.

Quote:
I don't think we disagree except that you're concerned with overall ratings and I'm not.

But overall ratings changed when you switched positions. If they scaled it correctly, Hester's overall rating at CB or WR would be much lower than as a K/PR. And Bush should/would have a higher rating as a WR than a RB.

But, even if the overall ratings are not scaled properly, the individual ratings should take care of things. Hester's cover ability would be low, he may or may not have good hands, his routes may suck, ect. But with the ball in his hands, in the open field, he would be dangerous because of his speed and agility.

Same for Bush. He wouldn't break many tackles, he'd have to come out for a few plays after hard hits, when CPU controlled he would miss holes, ect. But with the ball in his hands, in the open field, he would be dangerous because of his speed and agility.

In other words, ignore the overall ratings. EA obviously doesn't scale them in a way most of see fit.
Oh yeah, I understand. Im just saying. I said Hester ratings changed. Thats what I hope happends when you move Bush around, as I said. Hes a much better RB/WR then he is a RB. Whens he is in the backfield, 3.6 ypc is not very affective. When his coming out on a slot, or from a swing pass, yes he is. I just hope when I put him in the backfeild I dont see a 94 rating.

Last edited by dbshady; 06-27-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #50
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
I think till we give him the Benefit of the doubt and he doesn't produce on the feild agian. It's really no different then giving Reggie Bush or Devin Hester the benefit of the doubt their first season wasn't a fluke. I mean, What if Hester doesn't run back anything next year (doubtful, but it wont be 6)? They already gave him the 100 speed, if he doesn't produce, he will be knocked down.

Im just saying, you should give the players who have done what good rookies have done their first season, for several seasons the benefit of the doubt. Unitl they prove us they cant play agian, then yeah, i guess something should be done. But players like Harrison and Holt who are ageing, are not losing a step in production, they are getting older, but they are still the top in the league. Harrison might be the best, and im wondering why Smith is a 99 before him.

But for players like Bruce or Rod Smith, who are still capable of hitting that 1000 yard mark and 5 TD's as 2nd WR, should still get the benefit of the doubt, like first year young rookies do. We can't forshadow their decline just because they are getting older. Until they really show us they can't play up to their abilities anymore. And I dont think we can forshadow a rookies next season by rating him higher then what they would, just because hes younger. I agree it should all be based on the pevious season, but players in between should get the benefit of the doubt, at least before rookies do.

Sure, but I don't you should grant him a high rating if he can only run in the open feild. Users are going to find holes, when the computer plays, he can run into blockers and have bad vision all he wants. But when someone is playing, they will find those holes. And then thats when Reggie Bush is better in the game then he is in real life, I think thats all im saying.

Oh yeah, I understand. Im just saying. I said Hester ratings changed. Thats what I hope happends when you move Bush around, as I said. Hes a much better RB/WR then he is a RB. Whens he is in the backfield, 3.6 ypc is not very affective. When his coming out on a slot, or from a swing pass, yes he is. I just hope when I put him in the backfeild I dont see a 94 rating.
I am not the biggest reggie bush fan, but as far as Bush in madden goes he is about as perfect of a RB you can get. Madden is Madden the NFL is the NFL.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #51
MVP

heitkamp94's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by patti72
What you guys aren't understanding is that EA doesn't insert overall ratings, they rate all other attributes (SPD,AWR,AGI etc.) and then the overall rating is comprised of a formula. I personally think that this formula is inaccurate in determining an "overall rating" , I pay a lot more attention to other attributes because of this. The main flaw is that a "99" rating is not the highest you can get. (hese are arbitrary value's so don't go plug them in and tell me I'm wrong because I probably am) anyway e.g. a Qb with a THA 93 a THP 96 and AWR 95 is probably rated 99. But IMO a 99 should only be THA 99 THP 99 AWR 99. the first QB should have a rating based on 99/99/99 being a 99 so around a 94/95 depending on how you weigh each attribute.(there would also of course be other ratings involved, just simplifing to make a point) See my point, a 99 rating should only be given to the absolute best in all aspects of the position. This is why we have too many 99s in Madden games. This is also why I wish we could do away with the overall rating all together, just let you see the individual ratings make a bigger impact in your decsion making. This way of thinking means that 99 overall ratings would only be reserved for once in a lifetime players such as Tomlinson and Manning possibly. But to tell me that Steve Smith is a once in a lifetime player is absurd, he is a very good player, but he is not 99SPD 99ACC 99CTH 99AWR so he is in no way deserving of a 99.
Is no one reading this thread, its not a simple as stamping a 99 rating on a guy a guy like Smith won't have the STR, break tackle or blocking ratings. I'm sure he's one the top WR if you look at speed, agility, and the juke moves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #52
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

speaking of speed Randy Moss ran a 3.9 40 time....he does not deserve a 99 but when you play him on madden first thing is to shut down moss....ratings dont effect how you play the game.....like for example Sharper off of Vikings wont have a 99 rating but you still no that he can hit like hell and has great make up speed with great hands.....

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #53
Pro

lbartlett_32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
speaking of speed Randy Moss ran a 3.9 40 time....he does not deserve a 99 but when you play him on madden first thing is to shut down moss....ratings dont effect how you play the game.....like for example Sharper off of Vikings wont have a 99 rating but you still no that he can hit like hell and has great make up speed with great hands.....
Where did you get your info? The best moss has ever ran was a 4.27. He ran a 4.39 recently for the Pats.

Last edited by lbartlett_32; 06-27-2007 at 08:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »