Home

A Moment of Reflection

This is a discussion on A Moment of Reflection within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
A Moment of Reflection

November 2006.

It was in my first year away at college (after a year at Community), at the University of Toledo. Between work, class's, my girlfriend and trips home on the weekends I hardly new anybody on campus, and nobody not on my floor.

With that said, a school-wide Madden tourney peaked my interest, especially when it contained the words "free" and "prizes".

There was a downside, mainly, that I didn't play Madden....I played NCAA, and I hadn't touched Madden in a year and a half. I had no idea what team I was going to play as (certainly not the Lions). Making matters even worse, I play COACH MODE!. I hadn't controlled a player since I traded in NCAA '06 the previous November, and even that was mostly coach mode.

None the less I was determined to play, even if was mostly ego induced. I showed up at the tourney after a quick night of practice still rusty. The only thing it showed me was that 1) I can't really pass and 2)I can run very well.

With that in mind, I picked the Broncos, mainly I felt I could run a zone blocking scheme with Tatum Bell as that required more football knowledge than stick skills. 1 cut and up, just read the DL and find the hole before the snap.

My first match was tough. My opponent picked the Bengals and had 3 or 4 friends with him annoying me (not on purpose, I just hate noise when I'm concentrating). He was chatty, I don't talk when I play against another person. I felt over-matched for the first quarter and half, but he stalled in the redzone. I ran a kickoff back and stayed in it and we went into the half with me down only a field goal. The 2nd half went my way, I finally hit a few pass's, and with him out of the 8 man front I was able to run everywhere. Ron Dayne subbed in and picked up some short-yardage first downs and I eventually went up 10 with a couple of minutes left.

Opponent #2 was obnoxious at first. Very loud, was chatting with players from different games and yelled about everything he did. I wanted to beat him for the sole purpose of I didn't think I could handle his yelling if I lost. Not in a rude way mind you, he was just a loud person. Luckily, he wasn't the brightest cookie. He only ran about 4 offensive play, and 3 went to Tiki. He wasn't very good at passing, and threw several picks. His defensive strategy was just awful. He picked up I like to I-form zone run, and against the Giants I was bouncing it a lot. His solution was taking the DE to the strong side and overshifting him just before the snap. This gave me a gaping hole either right off tackle or I could just cut early and get inside him playing contain. He shutup in the 2nd half and was giving me compliments to other players as they watched out game (the last of the round). He quit with a few minutes left with me up 28-7.

The defending champ pulled an upset of the game-day favorite (some Vick cheeser) so it was me against him for the 150 dollar best buy card (2nd place gets a 75 dollar one).

He knew what he was doing. He used Seattle and had a very nice passing attack. I shut down his run early (thank you LB speed ratings), but he was able to hit slants and in routes consistently. Defensively he was good against the run, but not great. Both of us were grinding down the clock every drive. Most ended successfully, but they all took time.

A key pick on a slant pattern (a pattern I can't throw for the life of me, 4 picks in the 3 games off that play, 3 WR quick slant) put me down by 7 at the half. He took the opening kickoff back in the 2nd to go up 14.

But I stayed true to my plan. The zone started to work, his manual LB skills were good, but he mad a few over-pursuits and I made some big cutbacks for nice chunks. I finally settled into a passing rhythm. The 3 WR curl pattern and the TE running an in and Tatum in the flat was working. I scored right away and then a pick gave me good field position and I tied it up heading into the 4th quarter.

I gave up a FG quickly (long pass and then 3 straight no gains), but I 3&outed. A big defensive stand gave me the ball at my own 30.

The march began. 4 yards tatum, 4 yards tatum, 2 yards Ron Dayne. 2 yards tatum, pass for 7, 1 yard dayne. Two decent pass's and a few nice off-tackles by Tatum on the zone moved me closer.

I kept marching. I converted 5 3rd downs and ate the last 3 minutes off the clock. Slowly I drove, Id either win it with a TD, tie with a FG and send into OT, but my defense wasn't going back on the field.

I continued to run, less effectively, but I drove down to the 10. The crowd was finally quiet as I ran it twice for 4 yards. 3rd and goal from the 6 with just 15 seconds left. He can't stop the clock and I have 2 Time Outs left.

I form, 3 WR, Curls.

He's pressing me on the outside and he's 46 in the middle. I drop back and don't hesitate, I throw to "X", me left WR and I give him the jump ball.

It hung up forever, the WR jumped...

Intercepted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: A Moment of Reflection

at least you got money
Old 06-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

That was an actually very well told story.

I was in a Madden tourney held at a local Blockbuster back in August '05. That tournament was the most fun I ever had with a Madden game and it reminded me that while Madden was not my football game "of choice" - it reminded me why Madden is still such a widely popular game...it's insanely fun w/ a group of people, especially in tourneys.

I had entered the tourney only having played 2k5 since it had been released...I was nervous and to make matters worse, I owned an xbox at the time and had to play on PS2.

I beat the first guy I faced by 2 or 3 TDs...he talked alot of crap in the 1st half until I started to pull away. Chagers (me) vs. Raiders.

The second guy I faced had won the previous year so I was really nervous. But I ended up beating him by a touchdown in the 4th quarter. Chargers vs. Colts.

The 3rd guy I faced was a friend of mine who worked at another blocbuster. He beat me by 3 points and won a free copy of Madden. Chargers vs. Bills.

He went on to lose in the battle for the grand prize in the next (final) round. The grand prize was your choice of a PS2 or Xbox and a copy of Madden to go with it.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Good read... I was thinking about doing this is tournament action myself.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Only Tourny's I do are Halo 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

I play in a big Madden tourney every year.
Me and 5 of my buddies started it about 10 years ago.
It has grown every year and last year we had 32 people in it.
We have it every year the day before the Super Bowl at my best friends house. The first few years we played it on Super Bowl Sunday but now it takes to long to get it over by the start of the Super Bowl. Last year we had 6 TV's going at once all over the house.
Its kind of cool we call his huge 60" HD TV Center Court. We play the final 4 on Center Court. Anyway we charge a small fee and the winner gets some dough and a traveling trophy. You get your name put on the trophy and get to keep it till the next year. I am proud to say the trophy is currently setting on my desk at home!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
Dynamite!

absoluticris's Arena

OVR: 10

i was in a simalar boat as you sven...so ill waste my first post here with my story.

ive been playing madden since 93 and i decided to enter teh madden challenge in 04' when madden 05 came out.

i live in minnesota and at that time we were teh first stop in the madden challenge so i only had like a week since teh game came out.

i forgot to read the disclaimer before i entered and it was hosted on teh ps2 and i switched to xbox since 03' so i was a bit rusty on teh sticks.

i didnt have a ps2 to practice on so i might as well suck it up and see how well i do.

anyways i got there and i was matched up against a dude who told me hes a casual gamer and doesnt play madden a lot so i thought i may have a shot to pull this off, so i chose the panthers and he chose teh eagles.

teh first quarter was horrible because the controller was a little foreign to me and embarrassed myself frankly on offense when i accidently showed him my plays a few times with slight chuckles from teh crowd so i didnt bother to setup audibles and by teh and half hes up 10-7.

second half i started gaining some confidence with teh controls and put together a few good drives and so did he and i managed to get a critical stop and got teh ball back with a minute left with him up 24-20.

i remember calling and hitting a few slants and got to teh 7 with 28 seconds first and goal and i called my last timeout.

to make teh story short i made three bad passes and it was fourth and goal with 6 seconds left.

i call trips right with steve smith in the slot running a slant...i dropped back and threw in teh middle to him...bounced off teh LB's head and goes over teh goal post.

i didnt need a field goal...lol but i tried
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

Wait a minute...Sven, you go to UT? Do you still go to UT? I thought you lived in Tennessee, for some reason. Do you have any classes right now? I'm taking a Comp. class and a History class Monday through Thursday mornings.

We should play some ball sometime if you're still up here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »