Home

IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview

This is a discussion on IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensfan52
Last-gen makes it sound like it's dead. So are 360 and PS3 now considered current gen? I would think 360 and PS3 would be considered next gen until they start pumping out some madden games that people stop complaining about. I mean for me I have so much more fun with madden ps2 version than with my ps3 version. The graphics are not as good. But I have fun and it feels closer to being real in gameplay than the ps3 and 360 versions do. sorry if im rambling. just my opinion
time to move on with the rest of the world my man....i know what you mean about ps2 playing better though but from the word of everyone who played the next-gen..or the current gen, er.....the 360....heh...is that this year is the year the games will have the correct 'feel' to make people abandon their ps2's and xbox's.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensfan52
Last-gen makes it sound like it's dead. So are 360 and PS3 now considered current gen? I would think 360 and PS3 would be considered next gen until they start pumping out some madden games that people stop complaining about. I mean for me I have so much more fun with madden ps2 version than with my ps3 version. The graphics are not as good. But I have fun and it feels closer to being real in gameplay than the ps3 and 360 versions do. sorry if im rambling. just my opinion
Next-gen gaming is not defined by sports gaming alone. Also, there were some instances of gang tackling in the NCAA 08 for ps2 videos. Plus, with the addition of Hit Stick 2.0, I think it will be the same experience but with a little freshness to it. Only problem, will the game cost $50 like last year. Hopefully. its $40.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Cant expect too much, I thought 07 was barely more than a roster update from 06.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
Next-gen gaming is not defined by sports gaming alone. Also, there were some instances of gang tackling in the NCAA 08 for ps2 videos. Plus, with the addition of Hit Stick 2.0, I think it will be the same experience but with a little freshness to it. Only problem, will the game cost $50 like last year. Hopefully. its $40.
It probably is if you have an XBOX. I know NCAA is 40 on the Box but 50 on the PS2.

But the last two years, Circuit City has had an ad in the paper for 20% off Madden for all gen systems so hopefully that won't change this year.
MLB: Chicago White Sox
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles

Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 24

Man this interview makes me rather have a next gen Madden.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 PM   #14
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Wow, Madden looks incredible ,why anyone would upgrade to next gen is beyond me.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

What a mess of an article...IGN kept calling PS2/XBOX last-gen while the EA guy called it current gen. Made it awfully tough to figure out which one they were talking about, especially this part:

Quote:
IGN: One thing we noticed is that the current gen has tighter break animations to render quick cut steps or changes in direction. Has the last gen received any improvements to its animation in the same manner?

Baker: No, that was probably one area where next gen needed to improve on more than the current gen. As far as transition animations between changing directions, I think that current gen has a great feel to it already - you know, those direction changes have all felt pretty good. The lean curve runs when you're making subtle changes just feel really good in current gen, so we didn't really tweak too much of that this year. One of the things that we did add on the animation side, which we're pretty excited about, is that we have way more gang tackles on the current gen side than ever had before. I think we've got 24 of them now where I think we had 8 in the past - hardly any. So we added a ton of new gang tackle animations, a ton of new catch animations that look really nice, and that's where we focused our attention efforts this year. That's the stuff that people see so often and they get repetitive pretty quick if you don't have a good variety, so we definitely wanted to make sure that we had a good variety on current gen.
More on-topic, I agree with whoever said "casual gamer" was being used too much - it definitely sounds like they're trying to phase us toward the PS3/360. Kind of a shame, because I still think the old engine had legs, but it doesn't sound like they're going to do a whole lot of gameplay tweaking (aside from the R&R/Weapon system)

Last edited by bcruise; 07-08-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

So since I don't have the money to spend on a next-gen system, I get screwed into a repackaging of last year's game under the lame tag "casual gamer"? Thanks, EA, for assuming anyone who likes hardcore simulation-style football with indepth details and modes would have obviously come up with the cash to buy a nextgen system. Why not just reduce the PS2's controller down to two buttons, one for "tackle now" and one for "me throw ball now"? $50 I'm saving this year. Casually speaking, of course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »