Home

IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview

This is a discussion on IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: IGN:Last-Gen Producer Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit816
So since I don't have the money to spend on a next-gen system, I get screwed into a repackaging of last year's game under the lame tag "casual gamer"? Thanks, EA, for assuming anyone who likes hardcore simulation-style football with indepth details and modes would have obviously come up with the cash to buy a nextgen system. Why not just reduce the PS2's controller down to two buttons, one for "tackle now" and one for "me throw ball now"? $50 I'm saving this year. Casually speaking, of course.
Hey man, times change, how is it EA's fault that more people are migrating over to the 360/PS3 and you can't afford to? They will spend money to make money and the PS2/Xbox aren't going to be big money makers for them so of course they're not spending a lot of money on dev time for those systems. It's a business after all, they don't do this for charity.

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Hey man, times change, how is it EA's fault that more people are migrating over to the 360/PS3 and you can't afford to? They will spend money to make money and the PS2/Xbox aren't going to be big money makers for them so of course they're not spending a lot of money on dev time for those systems. It's a business after all, they don't do this for charity.
exactly. you think people that camp out for 360s, PS3s, iPhones, can actually afford them? I'd be willing to bet about 50% canNOT.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
I think you are dead wrong ODogg. The PS2 version doesn't get the resources any more which is why it will make a TON of money for EA. They have had their engine set for years and have just tweaked it. Development costs on the PS2 are far cheaper than the PS3 and the engine isn't going to change either saving them more money. Furthermore, there is a good chance that EA will sell more Madden games on the PS2/XBox than the PS3/360 this year. It will be awfully close.

Selling games on the PS2 is a cash cow for EA. Until the masses really start buying a 360 or PS3, EA can't ignore the PS2 guys if they want to keep making a ton of money. The number one selling game in 2006 was Madden on the PS2 with 1.8 million copies (http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=13755). Madden on the 360 sold 826,000 copies while NCAA 07 on the PS2 sold 849,000 copies. I just don't see all those PS2 game buying people all upgrading at once, especially since MS hasn't even dropped the price of the 360 yet.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

i bought madden for the ps2 and 360 last year, and after about a week i took back the 360 version, just thought the ps2 version had a better feel to it.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think you are dead wrong ODogg. The PS2 version doesn't get the resources any more which is why it will make a TON of money for EA. They have had their engine set for years and have just tweaked it. Development costs on the PS2 are far cheaper than the PS3 and the engine isn't going to change either saving them more money. Furthermore, there is a good chance that EA will sell more Madden games on the PS2/XBox than the PS3/360 this year. It will be awfully close.

Selling games on the PS2 is a cash cow for EA. Until the masses really start buying a 360 or PS3, EA can't ignore the PS2 guys if they want to keep making a ton of money. The number one selling game in 2006 was Madden on the PS2 with 1.8 million copies (http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=13755). Madden on the 360 sold 826,000 copies while NCAA 07 on the PS2 sold 849,000 copies. I just don't see all those PS2 game buying people all upgrading at once, especially since MS hasn't even dropped the price of the 360 yet.
Them not developing much for the pS2 isn't going to really affect sales though, people will still buy it overall. Increasing next-gen market share is not only more profitable as the game retails for more, but also critical to maintain Madden as a franchise for the future. Therefor they put a lot more money into next-gen as it is the future of the franchise.

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Them not developing much for the pS2 isn't going to really affect sales though, people will still buy it overall. Increasing next-gen market share is not only more profitable as the game retails for more, but also critical to maintain Madden as a franchise for the future. Therefor they put a lot more money into next-gen as it is the future of the franchise.
I agree that next gen is the future and that it requires a lot of resources to establish it. That's a big reason the price of the game is higher - to recover some costs and the fact the sales numbers are usually lower. However, Madden on the PS2 will still be cash cow this year and that can't be ignored. Like you said, people will still buy it even if they didn't allocate the resources which makes it even more profitable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »