Home

can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it?

This is a discussion on can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it?

I believe the teams that work on the art, animation and general presentation stuff are separate from the teams that work on the AI and programming / gameplay stuff. I don't buy the "we focused our energies on aspect x so we had to ignore aspect y".
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
I believe the teams that work on the art, animation and general presentation stuff are separate from the teams that work on the AI and programming / gameplay stuff. I don't buy the "we focused our energies on aspect x so we had to ignore aspect y".
So who is it at EA that works on presentation? Is it one single guy in the basement named Bob who has a red stapler and hasn't been seen in about 13 to 14 months? Everytime you call his vmail his box is full? And same for email? Bob? Are you there Bob? Has anybody seen Bob??!!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

My answer would be are you new to the forums? In seemingly every thread there's 2-3 or 10 people that blame the dev's. As far as whoever it was who said that presentation is the most important thing, thats a personal opinion unfortunately, i believe that the majority of people don't share that opinion. For most, gameplay is the be all and end all and that is why they were so focused on it this year. You are hearing about presentation alot because the people that used to complain about gameplay and lack of depth can't complain anymore because its been addressed. The only people that are left unsatisified with Madden's direction are the guys who value presentation #1.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Sure, but 3 years on a console and we are still being asked to forfeit or do without things that were standard in the past. It just doesn't seem like the right trade off. Here we have these next gen systems capable of all this great stuff, but nobody can fully take advantage of them. What's the point? All for better graphics?
You are correct yes these next gen systems are very powerful but you also have to remember that they are still new systems. So its going to take a while for all types of developers not just EA to get the programming down to a science. That is if said game isn't a port but I'm 100% certain the focus next year will be smoothing the game out some more with most of the focus going to online and presentation aspects of the game.

Quote:
The only people that are left unsatisfied with Madden's direction are the guys who value presentation #1.
I disagree 100% NCAA08 presentation is horrible the only bright spot for me is dynasty mode specific commentary other than that its just bad or non existent would be a better word for it. I love the game play but when I take ncaa out and put apf in it makes me want to cry from a presentation standpoint.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
I disagree 100% NCAA08 presentation is horrible the only bright spot for me is dynasty mode specific commentary other than that its just bad or non existent would be a better word for it. I love the game play but when I take ncaa out and put apf in it makes me want to cry from a presentation standpoint.
I may have been too broad but my point was that people who value gameplay as the reason they play Madden are not complaining the same way they were in years past. Same thing with the fans of owner mode. The people who buy football games for the presentation are the ones that are complaining now. I'm not saying that the people who don't value presentation #1 aren't complaining about the presentation but more that the presentation really is the only stone left unturned. I've been here for awhile now and I haven't seen you write anything that is overly negative about the game (which isn't an attack) and thats probably because EA has focused enough on the issues that keep you coming back that you defend the game just like me. Fans of presentation are honestly the ones that I feel have legitimate gripes at this point and I'd bet money that its addressed in some way next year (at this time next year, people will then be complaining about the issues they found while playing the game that weren't addressed enough in their opinions)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
My answer would be are you new to the forums? In seemingly every thread there's 2-3 or 10 people that blame the dev's. As far as whoever it was who said that presentation is the most important thing, thats a personal opinion unfortunately, i believe that the majority of people don't share that opinion. For most, gameplay is the be all and end all and that is why they were so focused on it this year. You are hearing about presentation alot because the people that used to complain about gameplay and lack of depth can't complain anymore because its been addressed. The only people that are left unsatisified with Madden's direction are the guys who value presentation #1.
Wow, very well said, you nailed it. The same people constantly complaining about lack of presentation this year would have been bawling about the "fluff" EA added if EA had gone the other route and worked more on the extras and just tweaked the gameplay. So true.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #23
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Wow, very well said, you nailed it. The same people constantly complaining about lack of presentation this year would have been bawling about the "fluff" EA added if EA had gone the other route and worked more on the extras and just tweaked the gameplay. So true.
I think people are just tired of having to compromise one for the other...With EA's resources most people expect them to be able to incorporate good gameplay PLUS the "fluff"...

On topic, will I hold the devs responsible if I don't like Madden'08? No, the devs are salesmen, it's their job to sell me on their game...It's not their fault if I rush out and buy it without renting it first...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 08-01-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #24
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

No, we can not hold the developers solely responsible if it is a bad game. Here is my theory...... The developers answer to some corporate manager above them who will allocate the budget. The corporate manager will be given his budget by the board of directors who obviously care about one thing, money. They answer to the shareholders. This leaves Tiburon understaffed or staffed with poorly qualified people. So blame the board of directors. Blame corporate America. I do love NHL '07 though. so I cant put all of the blame on corporation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »