Home

Defensive Playmakers (New Video)

This is a discussion on Defensive Playmakers (New Video) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Defensive Playmakers (New Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
Good points about the replay graphics but, NCAA looks very good in game so hopefully Madden will also.

And I agree, the collision detection in this engine is horrible. Makes no sense that someone can tackle another player just by brushing against him without rapping up. On top of that, the player getting tackled flops to the ground like he just took a massive hit.
I hate to say it, but this still happens all the time in NCAA this year and it's getting to me. I play CL mode exclusively and during practice, whenever I barely touch a defender in the backfield, its like I get hit by a mack truck.

I think that a take down is predetermined depending on the ball carrier's and defenders ratings, and gang tackling is only window dressing because there was more than 1 defender in the immediate area. I'd hope that more variables are taken into account, but I just don't think that's the case.

-OS Radio Show

(I don't remember who said this but PM me who did say it, and I'll quote him properly)
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm probably in the minority but Madden doesn't look "great" to me. Animations for the most part are terrible again. ie the shoulder tackles and the "2 players run into each other and they both fall back onto the ground".
These problems are also in NCAA.
I'll still have the game day one but I'm not expecting it or touting it to be the "great" game some think it is.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I find it funny that in the video he said "At EA we always like to progress the gameplay.. So one of the things we did was add a feature we used to have...."

That's EA.
I wonder if he realized the irony in his statement.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
MVP

BezO's Arena

Why would they introduce Spotlight like that? Why would I want to double a receiver AFTER I select my defense? Isn't that just going to leave someone uncovered?

What we need is the ability to double a specific WR within the sceme of a particular defense.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Why would they introduce Spotlight like that? Why would I want to double a receiver AFTER I select my defense? Isn't that just going to leave someone uncovered?
Not automatically, most of the time I'd imagine a safety who was in a zone would be pulled out of that for the double coverage (on a typical play with at least one safety playing a zone). Naturally double covering one receiver will open up the field more for others, just like it does in the actual NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #22
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelron
Not automatically, most of the time I'd imagine a safety who was in a zone would be pulled out of that for the double coverage (on a typical play with at least one safety playing a zone).
And I hope you're correct. But say I have a man 2 called. I want to double a WR. It pulls one of my safeties from his zone to double him. Does my other safety know to play deep middle instead of deep half? I hope EA covered this.

Just like most of the defensive play maker calls, these would be better to call in the huddle. Trust that in the NFL, the defense knows they're doubling someone before they get to the LOS.

What I want to see is a play calling system that allows us to call defenses in tiers, like they do in the NFL. Defensive front, blitz, coverage. So, instead of relying on the limited defensive calls in the game, and having to hot route these adjustments before your opponent snaps the ball, you can creat almost any defense you want.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
And I hope you're correct. But say I have a man 2 called. I want to double a WR. It pulls one of my safeties from his zone to double him. Does my other safety know to play deep middle instead of deep half? I hope EA covered this.
In that case, you can just coverage audible to have your safety play the middle of the field......On current gen it was just the analog stick up for them to play the middle, and left or right to roll coverage to either side.....
Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #24
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timid
In that case, you can just coverage audible to have your safety play the middle of the field......On current gen it was just the analog stick up for them to play the middle, and left or right to roll coverage to either side.....
I understand you can audible to it. You can audible to almost any combination if you had time. But your opponent has to let you. My point is that I'd like to call this stuff in the huddle like in real life. NFL players don't create defensive calls on the fly. If a WR is going to be doubled, everyone knows it before the huddle is broken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »