Home

how did vince young get on the cover

This is a discussion on how did vince young get on the cover within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: how did vince young get on the cover

Vince Young (and his stlye of play( is marketable; Philip Rivers and Drew Brees aren't...

And yes I do believe EA uses it's Madden cover to target the black audience...I'm pretty sure we are the majority of the people who buy the game, so it would make sense to put someone on the cover who the majority of your customers can identify with.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 08-03-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wednesday
I don't know if this is true. But, I read some where that LT was offered the cover and he wanted more money tha EA was willing to deal out for a cover athlete.

I heard a similiar story. Not sure of the validity of it. But to be honest I could care less who is on the Madden cover and why.

As far as VY proving anything, still got a long ways to go, and he and the Titans got a lot of breaks down the stretch, but I think he was a lot farther along than most people thought he would be as a rookie. His career, will be interesting to watch if nothing else.

As far as comparing him to Vick, other than being black and mobile, don't see how they compare. Young is much farther along as a passer than Vick was his first year, and Young has a whole slew of intangibles and leadership qualities that Vick doesn't even have close to having. Both are great athletes, but their games, personalities, and intangibles are very different.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #11
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
And yes I believe EA is trying to appeal to black people, I'm pretty sure we are the majority of the people who buy the game; so it would make sense to put someone on the cover who the majority of your customers can identify with.
Don't think that's true. The game has become so transcendent, I don't think there is any single demographic that buys the game more than others.

Last edited by bkrich83; 08-03-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #12
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
.And yes I believe EA is trying to appeal to black people, I'm pretty sure we are the majority of the people who buy the game; so it would make sense to put someone on the cover who the majority of your customers can identify with.
And how did you come up with that?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #13
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Vince Young and his stlye of play is marketable; Philip Rivers and Drew Brees aren't...

And yes I believe EA is trying to appeal to black people, I'm pretty sure we are the majority of the people who buy the game; so it would make sense to put someone on the cover who the majority of your customers can identify with.
Don't take this the wrong way, but... if a minority group was the majority group buying this game, Madden would not see NEARLY the sales numbers that it does.

You may be right on one thing: EA could possibly be trying to draw in more buyers from the black community... but to say they are the prime consumer is honestly just a ridiculous statement. Do you realize how mainstream this title is?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #14
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Don't think that's true. The game has become so transcendent, I don't think there is any single demographic that buys the game more than others.
Agreed, EA wants to appeal to everyone. Therefore, they try to pick the hot athlete. I think I also heard about LT being offered the cover first, but I dont know where I read that, so I cannot confirm that as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #15
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

If EA isn't trying to appeal to a certain demographic (black people) then what other explaination is there for them to have released 10 covers and not once feature a white athlete?

Does anyone truely believe that in the 10 years that they have featured a player on the cover that there has never been a year where a white athlete was deserving over a black one?

I believe there have been years where a white athlete could have justifiably been on the cover, but I stand firm in my opinion that EA (in targeting what they believe to be the majority of their audience) opted for the black athlete to appeal to us; black folk
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
If EA isn't trying to appeal to a certain demographic (black people) then what other explaination is there for them to have released 10 covers and not once feature a white athlete?

Does anyone truely believe that in the 10 years that they have featured a player on the cover that there has never been a year where a white athlete was deserving over a black one?

I believe there have been years where a white athlete could have justifiably been on the cover, but I stand firm in my opinion that EA (in targeting what they believe to be the majority of their audience) opted for the black athlete to appeal to us; black folk
I really have no idea how you came to any of those conclusions. But if it makes you feel better, cool.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »