Home

EA - Adjustment from last gen to current gen

This is a discussion on EA - Adjustment from last gen to current gen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: EA - Adjustment from last gen to current gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp71284
I'll admit the majority of the things I'm listing are nit-picky, but it's still the truth...

Still missing from last-gen:

-Amount of alternate jerseys & most likely old stadiums (no big deal)
-Accelerated clock
-Edit player's positions (apparently that's not an option yet)
-2 Man commentary (there's no such thing as a 1-man booth for any team, maybe for college or HS, but not the pros)
-Variable camera options
-Full franchise/owner mode
-Refs aren't even on the field or sideline
-No field goal net
-Jerseys don't show wear like they used to in last-gen

Things that should have improved from last-gen to current-gen, or was added and should be fixed:

-Dumb cannon sound on long passes
-Every cut scene between plays shows the tunnels of the stadium or some other dumb angle which gets old after one game, maybe if they showed the huddle, or a replay that the commentators would talk about, or even a coach calling a play while you pick your play
-Boring online play; no leagues still
-Still no rosters over 53 men in pre-season; no practice squads
-Still only 32 picks per round in draft, no compensatory picks yet
-Draft picks cannot hold out
-No suspensions
-Blocking on kick/punt return still needs work
-Some penalties still not in the game (late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal man downfield, illegal formation)
-Pass interference has been a mess for the last 2-3 years on last-gen, so I'm just gonna list it here just in case
-Weather still looks "last-gen"

OK I ran out of things, but you get my point. EA hasn't put out a 5 star football game in years. And I don't see why some people except a stripped down version of a game you can buy on an older system with more options. But that's just my opinion. If Madden somehow is amazing again I'll eat my crow and shut up.
All good points... I agree w/ you on everything you said here. I have issues w/ all of those things not being in the game too, or not being implemented properly.

However, I'm still gonna buy the game because I wanna play w/ my Eagles. What other choice do I have?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
However, I'm still gonna buy the game because I wanna play w/ my Eagles. What other choice do I have?
I think this comment speaks volumes to the state of affairs related to Madden. I am glad to see 2K back in the game, but in the end, as far as the NFL goes... what choice do any of us have?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Was 2005 on the PS2 a better game than 2007 on the 360? I think so. I know some people had a blast with 2007 but I don't think there were nearly as many people praising it and it certainly wasn't as polished as anything that has come out on current gen. Maybe this year will be different but EA has dug itself a hole in terms of public opinion and it's up to them to dig their way out.
I agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
DickDalewood

OVR:

I like what they are doing with gameplay on the 360/PS3 versions, and I'm not one to usually complain, but I will chime in with this:

I REALLY miss - referees on the field, two-man commentary, and nets behind the goal-posts.

There, I said it.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I like what they are doing with gameplay on the 360/PS3 versions, and I'm not one to usually complain, but I will chime in with this:

I REALLY miss - referees on the field, two-man commentary, and nets behind the goal-posts.

There, I said it.
You would think by now that they would have refs and nets and multiple camera views that is why I believe it has to do with the engine and they are stuck with it. Presentation is sorely lacking and stale and I think most people would rather have a commentary team with ESPN announcers and overlays. They seem to focus on weird things like vision cone, icons under players and cannon sounds with the deep ball. Don't get me wrong I think it will play great but I think people are wanting more in terms of presentation like pre, half and post game shows to immerse you into the game. When I look at madden it pales in terms of what NHL 08 is doing with their game and packing it with features and next gen visuals and gameplay and they are putting online leagues, AHL licenses and create a play and a new skating and checking system. To me the developers seem to be lost so maybe it is time for someone else to take over and move the franchise forward.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood

There, I said it.
I can sort of understand the commentary thing, but I will never, ever understand the obsession of some folks around here with refs and fg nets.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Honestly, I never would've known that there was ESPN integration unless I had read about in the previews. I've not seen it once in a screenshot or video.

And the choice you have is not to buy it. I love the NFL as much as anybody, but I refuse to pay $60 for a game that I won't play for more than 2 weeks.

I think the most telling thing for me, when I realized I didn't want to get Madden is when I realized I was looking forward more to FIFA 08.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #16
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I can sort of understand the commentary thing, but I will never, ever understand the obsession of some folks around here with refs and fg nets.
Yah, I know... it's like I said, they aren't things that will stop me from buying, they are just simple visual "why nots". Referees and nets were in every game last gen, on lesser hardware, yet here we are, three ears in, and they can't seem to get some of those tiny things in?

Oh well though, again, it's not stopping me from buying, just something I notice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »